I am on sprint pcs and thinking about switching from a treo 755p to a blackberry curve or tour. just wondering who switched and what you liked and did not like about blackberry's?

also concerned that push email might drain my battery
    03-15-10 10:15 AM
    I switched from a VZW 755p to a tour 9650 and haven't regretted it yet. my 9650 improves on pretty much all features of the palm, though there are a couple things that I do miss. Overall though, you'll be happy with the switch.

It was relatively easy to migrate all my information over, I just changed the sync destination from Palm Desktop to Outlook.

I was running chattermail on my 755p and that really killed the battery; it would be dead after a full day's use. The blackberry runs at least 1.5 days before it needs to be plugged in. Just overall a really quality product. I'd encourage you to make the switch.
    03-15-10 10:42 AM
    what are some of the things you missed? some of your dislikes?
    03-15-10 10:54 AM
    I had a 750wx and went to a blackberry shortly after and it's much better. I was using the Windows mobile one so everything was much better on the blackberry. I haven't used the old Palm OS in a long time but the blackberry OS is much better. Also, you'll get good battery life on most blackberries. Push email actually uses less battery than if your device has to fetch as it will on send email when you get and not connecting when there's no emails. I would say grab yourself a tour, if you're set on a blackberry and try it our for a couple weeks. I think you'll like it much better.
    03-15-10 10:56 AM
    Me me!! I went from a Palm Treo 755p to a Blackberry Curve 8330 and I will never leave blackberry. It is soo much better than the Palm system and solid like a rock. I seriously have never had a crash. The push email is stunningly fast and the internet - much better and you can play a lot of media from the internet, like youtube. I have 3 email accounts on push email, use the internet all day long, chat on instant messenger, blackberry messenger and play games and read books, oh, and once in a while make a phone call - and I still usually have at least 50% battery at the end of the day.

I used the blackberry desktop manager, Device Switch to put all of my Palm info onto my blackberry. Worked like a charm. Last fall I upgraded to the Blackberry Tour, and that is heaps better than the Curve. If you are making the jump, I'd consider the Tour.

good luck.
    03-15-10 11:10 AM
    People still have Treos???
    03-15-10 11:55 AM
    I swicthed from a Centro to a BB Curve. really like it. Some things I miss, but many more things I like about the Curve. For one, I'm now using an OS that isn't obsolete and has apps still being made for it!
    03-15-10 01:43 PM
    I had the Treo then went to the Centro for the smaller size...after the Treo I went to the Curve and love it, however, there are 2 things that I do miss.

The minor thing I miss is the "world clock" feature and the bigger but not major option I miss is the touchscreen with full keyboard. If RIM ever comes out with one (I am not too keen on the upcoming "slider") I am sold! Until then I'll patiently wait for the new Bold (f.k.a. Tour2) to be released on Sprint.
    03-15-10 02:57 PM
    The only thing I miss about the Treo I had (755p, I think) is the great calendar on them. You could really customize and color code the calendar on the Palm. Everything else though the BB stomps in comparison. You won't be disappointed.
    03-15-10 03:03 PM
    Palm OS had a better thought out UI but for the most part, a BB is the right upgrade path for a Palm OS user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 03:22 PM
    Had the treo 700wx years ago and a blackberry was a big difference for me but gotta love the push tech. Not as clunky as the 700wx either and ran quicker because windows mobile would always lag
    03-15-10 05:48 PM
    Can't sync my 8330 to Linux pim.

I swapped to get track ball which made web navigation easier for me.

Don't think I would leave BB at this point.
    03-15-10 06:43 PM
    Do it, you won't regret it. Was in the exact same boat, after I switched my thought was, what took me so long?

The only thing I truly miss (and I think this would be echoed by many) is DateBook 6. If CESD ever wrote a BB version, I think hed make so much money he could double his gorilla habitat.

But other than that, I spent the first few day trying to press the screen but I got over it pretty quick. Give yourself an honest week of learning your way around the OS and you won't go back.

03-15-10 10:07 PM
    Do it, you won't regret it. Was in the exact same boat, after I switched my thought was, what took me so long?

The only thing I truly miss (and I think this would be echoed by many) is DateBook 6. If CESD ever wrote a BB version, I think hed make so much money he could double his gorilla habitat.

But other than that, I spent the first few day trying to press the screen but I got over it pretty quick. Give yourself an honest week of learning your way around the OS and you won't go back.

Yes, Datebook 6 was truly awesome. I had a huge collection of icons to use on my appts with Datebook 6, just a fun little thing
    03-16-10 06:39 AM
    I had the Treo then went to the Centro for the smaller size...after the Treo I went to the Curve and love it, however, there are 2 things that I do miss.

The minor thing I miss is the "world clock" feature and the bigger but not major option I miss is the touchscreen with full keyboard. If RIM ever comes out with one (I am not too keen on the upcoming "slider") I am sold! Until then I'll patiently wait for the new Bold (f.k.a. Tour2) to be released on Sprint.
    You should look into the brand new app SwooshAlarm, which is a highly customizable alarm/timer program which also comes with a world clock. The interface is really nice looking and it is super easy to set up and you can easily disable any of the alarms or timers with one click. It also has an alarm that uses your GPS, so you can set up an alarm when you get to a certain zipcode, for travelers. Very cool and costs $4.99
    03-16-10 06:41 AM
    I switched from an old Treo 700P on VZW to an 8530 and love it. The push email and BBM is great. I do miss the touchscreen...sometimes, but not often. The major thing that I miss is the Palm Desktop interface. I liked having a calendar that I could leave up on my desktop at work. Googlesync let's you sync wirelessly, but for some reason Google Calendar is blocked at work, so that's a pain. I also miss the ease of the ringer silencer switch, but BB's sound profiles far outweigh that minor inconvenience.

Keep in mind that there are a few tricks to using the BB Desktop Manager Device Switch wizard. You have to use Palm Desktop 4.1 for it to work, but it works great.
    03-16-10 08:56 AM
    Switched from a 755p to my BB. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I wish I would have done it sooner. Most all other posters have said it all. You will be happy with the BB.
    03-16-10 04:35 PM
    Lets see, I've had a Palm 600, 650, 700P, 755, 700wx, 800w, and Pro, just a couple of Palms, ha ha. I switched to the Blackberry because winmo has some major mile stones to go. Too much OS for a phone I think, too many re-boots and freezes. I liked the Palm OS but I knew that it was a dead OS. I never tried the Web OS, my son has it and it just looks like a fun phone like the iphone, and didn't seem very practical for me. The worst thing is that they got rid of their wonderful color coded calendar app when they went to the Web OS. It was easy to switch to the Blackberry OS, a lot of similarities to Palm. BB calendar is terrible, get pocket informant or one of the other 3rd party calendars. Palm really had the calendar program figured out.

Blackberry is STABLE. Couldn't believe how stable it is, this alone will probably keep me here for a long long time. I figured the battery life would be better. I have a Tour and only get about 10 - 12 hours out of it, 14 on a good light day. Talking on hte phone absolutely kills the battery. I've ran all of the official OS's and currently have a hybrid. I get better battery life out of the hybrid than the official OS. I really like the Tour and have never had any regrets.

There will be a learning curve, give it 2 solid weeks. I about gave up and went back to winmo, then I started getting the OS figured out. Spend time here at crackberry.com and look at the 101 lecture series, even before you buy your phone, it will give you some insight on the BB OS. I don't think you'll regret the move.
    Last edited by ross778; 03-16-10 at 07:42 PM.
    03-16-10 07:34 PM
    SNIP...Spend time here at crackberry.com and look at the 101 learning series...
    I cannot agree with that enough! I downloaded all the 101 learning series webpages and saved them on my computer so I could read through them as I was deciding whether or not to go with BB, and continued delving into them after I made the switch. Extremely helpful!
    03-16-10 07:38 PM
    At first it took some getting used to but I'm more than happy with my switch from the Treo to my BB!
    03-16-10 07:42 PM
    I had a Treo 700w, Treo 700wx, Treo 700p, and a Treo 750. I thought I'd never use anything else but a Treo...Until my Blackberry 9000 and now Blackberry 9700.

Couldn't be happier.
    03-17-10 12:24 AM
    I switched from a 700wx to a Curve and could not have been happier. It took me a while to get used to the different interface and the lack of a touch screen but overall it was worth it. It takes a lot less steps to so something with the BB OS than Windows Mobile. (Granted you are coming from Palm OS which I haven't used in ages)
    03-17-10 08:57 AM
    I've used a Palm device for at least 15 years the last was a centro but I don't plan on going back. I've had the 9700 for a couple of weeks and it's great the e-mail works alot better also the web experience is better the only things I miss is the calendar, google sync is not working on the server side but I'll have to find a work around soon. The other thing I miss is the way text messages could be displayed as conversations I dont know if the BB can do the same havent gotten around to finding out. I would recommend switching you wont be disappointed.
    03-17-10 10:18 PM
    I went to my local sprint store to play with the blackberries and there a couple of things I noticed right away:

* search on websites like craigslist, ebay, amazon requires a few clicks to magnify in versus the treo. is that because the web pages are just not optimized on the blackberry's?

* if I click on a number on a webpage or email the blackberry will bring up the number but there was no way for me to insert any characters in front of the number such as the *67 caller id block

* composing email....is there a way to have a set of canned responses that I can choose from whenever I reply or compose emails?

I really liked the trackpad and was wondering if anyone had a work around for the issues above?
    03-29-10 08:40 AM
    I have just switched to the Blackberry (Bold 9700) after 10 years with Treos! My Chatteremail started causing the Treo to reboot endlessly, so with much reluctance, I switched over. I must say I don't regret it - the email is awesome, I've learned the OS with ease, and the battery life is amazing! I do agree with a previous poster who said they missed Datebook 6! Although I've gotten used to the Blackberry calendar, it is not as easy as Datebook was. I also agree that frequently used phrases would be great on the BB, both for e-mails & sms messages. The OS is going to get even better, and really - Palm OS, while wonderful, is not going to grow any further. So I'm enjoying the BB!
    03-29-10 10:46 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD