Rumor has it that the OS6 UI/Visual revamp is basically nothing more then "very creative" theme rearrangement and screen magic. The underlying OS hasn't changed much in terms of rewrites.

Who thinks this is obviously a bad idea? Last time I checked, you can't apply a theme to an S1/S2 without having the dial pad cut off at the bottom. I know this doesn't mean much in terms of application to the next OS, but if Plazmic is this far back in theme support for that, how much trickery can RIM pull over our eyes in the OEM theme in OS6?

If this is indeed true, I don't think RIM really understands what we mean by "BB needs a new UI".
    03-15-10 12:12 AM
    Well I've heard the new OS is going to support widgets with webkit. Thats all I know. I hope it's going to look a little "Android"-ish, but I honestly do not know what it is going to be.
    03-15-10 12:52 AM
    It honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit to see RIM pawn off something like this a "evolution"
    03-15-10 01:12 AM
    Source? :P
    03-15-10 01:16 AM
    Yeah I bet OS 6 is just a new theme. RIM has no ability to come up with a new OS....just a new theme. Every time I read your posts I wonder why you even have a blackberry still.

Let's say they actually do nothing but create a new front end for the OS. Heck that would still be great. That would be like how awesome the Sense UI is on A Windows phone. Windows mobile blows, but running sense UI it's nice. I actually hate Android as an interface. I'm sure sense Uzi running over Android probably makes it a nice OS.

That said.....I doubt it would take them years (yes they have been working 6 for a while and then add some before it comes out) to create a spiced up Precision theme.

They already have discussed widgets and a new browser that supports flash and renders faster than mobile safari or android browser. RIM didn't get the market share they have by being idiots. I also doubt that you or anyone that's has over 10,000 posts on these forums knows more about what they need to do to continue to keep that share. They just got into the consumer oriented (non business) side of the game like a year and a half ago or so.

They know what they are doing so I wish everyone on here that bashes them and acts like they are some brilliant business person would enjoy your phone or just go get a different one if you don't like what you have now, or......start your own mobile phone business because you obviously have all the answers and can magically create the perfect product kn less than 6 months or so.

</rant>

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 01:36 AM
    People do need to get over this whole idea that Rim are going to throw away their entire OS just because a few bloggers say its old, when they make changes they will want to keep the familiarity of the current OS and improve both its look and usability rather than throwing it all away and starting over because as shocking as it might seem there are millions of people that like their products even if you don't.

The biggest thing with OS 6.0 beyond the obvious of support for new devices will be the browser and then after that we will see incremental changes, updating the look, adding new features and improving existing ones.
    03-15-10 04:46 AM
    Even though rim has had java for a long time maybe that's what they need to reconsider for their next OS. Like palm ;html. android, linux. Iphony, Mac OS........... I know there would be an uproar with compatibility issues but I believe a change is def needed

03-15-10 05:24 AM
    Rumor has it that the OS6 UI/Visual revamp is basically nothing more then "very creative" theme rearrangement and screen magic. The underlying OS hasn't changed much in terms of rewrites.

Who thinks this is obviously a bad idea? Last time I checked, you can't apply a theme to an S1/S2 without having the dial pad cut off at the bottom. I know this doesn't mean much in terms of application to the next OS, but if Plazmic is this far back in theme support for that, how much trickery can RIM pull over our eyes in the OEM theme in OS6?

If this is indeed true, I don't think RIM really understands what we mean by "BB needs a new UI".
    Without some evidence of this "rumor" I call bs

03-15-10 07:06 AM
    Source? :P
    Without some evidence of this "rumor" I call bs
    Guess we can drop this thread then, as I doubt any will come up.
    03-15-10 07:58 AM
    The rumors Civic mentions are coming from several places including CB's own kevin. Basically everyone has confirmed that OS6 is what OS5.2 was going to be. RIM just decided to name it 6 instead of 5.x. Kind of like calling the tour 2 a bold. so we know it is the same OS kernel as 5. From there civic is just making the leap that the only changes are theme based.

I think it is deeper then that, as I am expecting that they rebuilt from the core up. I don't think they will make it too different from 5, but I think they are giving them selves a better mid layer of software to interface with the kernel. I think the slider had a lot to do with this. They couldn't make it surepress as mechanically that would be an issue, and they did not have an OS that would work even close to well on a non click screen type of input. So they had rebuild the base of 5 to allow for at least 2 distinct UIs. I am guessing that the touch screens and slider will have a different ui layer than the full qwerty devices.

Either way, what does it matter? If RIM continues to flood builds out there and can't do a better job QA then 6 or 5 or 7 won't mean jack d�ck. Seriously they are 500+ builds into OS 5 and published software where the device resets when you holster it!? They should be embarrassed. If they can't fix what is broken in their development process then they can do whatever they want and still everyone will saying they need to re write it.

(yawns, and goes back to reading about the HTC Incredible)

03-15-10 08:14 AM
    They just got into the consumer oriented (non business) side of the game like a year and a half ago or so.
    Actually, RIM got in the consumer market a few years ago when they released the Pearl. You're a bit late to the party...
    03-15-10 09:27 AM
    I am with RIM for couple of reasons.
    1. I love it as messaging device. 'Blackberry messenger'
    2. I love the push technology with multiple emails in one location.
    3. Data security provided by the platform ( may be false security , who knows ;-P)

Hence I wouldn't want the basics of the platform to change as they bring in new OS.
    But there are things that need to change like
    1. Bugs in the certified OS. no more half baked OSes
    2. Lag in the interaction with OS. Even if it means different OS for touch screen and QWERTY devices
    3. Better browser ( may be they already have it ready - but no more buggy ones pl.)
    03-15-10 10:25 AM
    The rumors Civic mentions are coming from several places including CB's own kevin. Basically everyone has confirmed that OS6 is what OS5.2 was going to be. RIM just decided to name it 6 instead of 5.x. Kind of like calling the tour 2 a bold. so we know it is the same OS kernel as 5. From there civic is just making the leap that the only changes are theme based.

I think it is deeper then that, as I am expecting that they rebuilt from the core up. I don't think they will make it too different from 5, but I think they are giving them selves a better mid layer of software to interface with the kernel. I think the slider had a lot to do with this. They couldn't make it surepress as mechanically that would be an issue, and they did not have an OS that would work even close to well on a non click screen type of input. So they had rebuild the base of 5 to allow for at least 2 distinct UIs. I am guessing that the touch screens and slider will have a different ui layer than the full qwerty devices.

Either way, what does it matter? If RIM continues to flood builds out there and can't do a better job QA then 6 or 5 or 7 won't mean jack d�ck. Seriously they are 500+ builds into OS 5 and published software where the device resets when you holster it!? They should be embarrassed. If they can't fix what is broken in their development process then they can do whatever they want and still everyone will saying they need to re write it.

(yawns, and goes back to reading about the HTC Incredible)

I would put good money on even if OS6 is an out right diversion from all previous OS', you will STILL find something that isn't to your liking and will complain about it. The cycle never ends, the circuit just changes.
    03-15-10 11:06 AM
    Personally, I think the main user experience doesn't need to change much. Sure, they could open up themes and Today functions a little more, but moving around the icons, simple navigation and such doesn't really need to change.

Most of the things I see that could use some improvement is a little faster transition (reducing lag), and improved apps, such as adding in the new web browser, maybe some added codecs in the media player, and possibly flash support. Add that to underlying improvements and I think they will do well. We don't need to see a lot of visual changes to have 6.0 be a lot better than what we have now.
    03-15-10 11:08 AM
    Well, Android didn't change much going to 2, the iPhone barely changed anything going to 3. All internal changes.

Some want a new UI, I don't, and I believe most users don't either. That said, they could tighten up some screens that look a bit jumbled, simplify some settings, streamline launch and exit actions across apps, etc. I anything, I'd go by what they are preaching developers to pay attention to and expect to see RIM itself make an effort at a consistent UI and more interoperable apps.
    03-15-10 12:59 PM
    Well, Android didn't change much going to 2, the iPhone barely changed anything going to 3. All internal changes.

Some want a new UI, I don't, and I believe most users don't either. That said, they could tighten up some screens that look a bit jumbled, simplify some settings, streamline launch and exit actions across apps, etc. I anything, I'd go by what they are preaching developers to pay attention to and expect to see RIM itself make an effort at a consistent UI and more interoperable apps.
    I think the bolded part above hits the nail on the head. I'd add that they could do some things to make Touch Devices better, but those need to be specific to touch devices and not a part of base OS.
    03-15-10 01:05 PM
    I would put good money on even if OS6 is an out right diversion from all previous OS', you will STILL find something that isn't to your liking and will complain about it. The cycle never ends, the circuit just changes.
    Yeah really. It's always something negative. I don't think I've seen something positive about RIM or about what they're working on changing from anyone with more than 7,000 posts (excluding pk) since I joined here. Kind of sad, considering. Maybe it's time to move on, if I was this tortured by a cellphone company, I wouldn't keep waiting for what's never going to happen, apparently. Unless you just really like complaining. But if someone was that into complaining, why not just go to Microsoft?
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 03-15-10 at 01:11 PM.
    03-15-10 01:08 PM
    The only thing I want is a way to close apps without going though the menu, like pressing and holding the end call button (single click for home screen).

03-15-10 01:16 PM
    The only thing I want is a way to close apps without going though the menu, like pressing and holding the end call button (single click for home screen).

Isn't that exactly how it works today? Holding the End Call Button closes all RIM apps, and most 3rd Party Apps.

03-15-10 01:18 PM
    I think people make too many assumptions when in reality they don't know jack ****.

Wait until OS 6.0 comes out. If its ****...then start ********. Until then, why don't we all wait patiently?

How about that!

03-15-10 01:40 PM
    I think people make too many assumptions when in reality they don't know jack ****.

Wait until OS 6.0 comes out. If its ****...then start ********. Until then, why don't we all wait patiently?

How about that!

That's easier said than done!

I don't care much if 6.0 = revamp, as long as the O.S. (esp. for touchscreens) is solid.

But I'm sticking to the "glass half empty" perspective.
    03-15-10 02:18 PM
    Even though rim has had java for a long time maybe that's what they need to reconsider for their next OS. Like palm ;html. android, linux. Iphony, Mac OS........... I know there would be an uproar with compatibility issues but I believe a change is def needed

Palm, Android, and iPhone are all Linux based kernels. It's the reason why it's so simple to just 'root' a device and be able to do pretty much anything with it. The application platform is what differs (Android uses Java, Palm - Some Javascript/Webkit framework, iPhone - Objective C). Blackberry uses a JVM kernel and the same Java platform for application development. The reason Blackberries are more secure (I say 'more', because nothing is 100% secure) is because it boots up into that virtual box and then applications run inside of that. It's very difficult (not impossible, just because it hasn't been done yet does not mean it can't be done) to hack something like this. Now, from RIM's point of view, they need to keep this structure if they want to remain the device of choice for government contracts and corporate use.

Honestly, I do not know what the limitations of JVM are as a kernel, as this might be why RIM is struggling so much now with multimedia. They would completely have to re-vamp their kernel to truly have something 'revolutionary', so to speak. It probably sounds like a broken record by now, but they can change their UI to their heart's content and it can turn out amazing. The problem here lies in an application development platform that sits on top of their JVM kernel that needs to remain secure WHILE bringing rich multimedia streaming to these devices, because I know the hardware is more than capable of doing it. I just hope they can reach this compromise soon to stay relevant in the consumer space. Heck, even corporate users are wanting to do more with their devices.
    03-15-10 02:30 PM
    How is RIM "struggling with multimedia"? Playback seems fine. Pandora has no problem streaming and even the YouTube issues seem more of a config or wrong codec problem. Please explain.

03-15-10 03:12 PM
    How is RIM "struggling with multimedia"? Playback seems fine. Pandora has no problem streaming and even the YouTube issues seem more of a config or wrong codec problem. Please explain.

Multimedia does not integrate well into the platform. I didn't say it wasn't capable of doing it and apps like Pandora are doing a decent job of overcoming that. You look at other platforms and the abilities to easily point and shoot video and send it straight to youtube and/or facebook is seamlessly done. It's not being done right now, and that is the problem. It's one thing to be able to do something and it's another to be able to do it well.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 03-15-10 at 03:19 PM.
    03-15-10 03:17 PM
    Palm, Android, and iPhone are all Linux based kernels. It's the reason why it's so simple to just 'root' a device and be able to do pretty much anything with it. The application platform is what differs (Android uses Java, Palm - Some Javascript/Webkit framework, iPhone - Objective C). Blackberry uses a JVM kernel and the same Java platform for application development. The reason Blackberries are more secure (I say 'more', because nothing is 100% secure) is because it boots up into that virtual box and then applications run inside of that. It's very difficult (not impossible, just because it hasn't been done yet does not mean it can't be done) to hack something like this. Now, from RIM's point of view, they need to keep this structure if they want to remain the device of choice for government contracts and corporate use.
    Someone finally knows what their talking about! The plain fact is RIM will never step away from Java simply because it's one of the most secure enviroments. You aren't going to see a massive rewrite of code cause some of us think RIM is outdated in looks (it is).

RIM needs to accomplish a few goals with 6.0:
    Better App Development Tools
    More APIs accessable to devs (nice feature rich apps...no barebone bs like right now)
    Webkit browser
    Flash
    OpenGL (across all devices)
    Unified OS updates, so all devices run the same software (a la Palm and Apple)
    Memory Solution (Store on SD card or just pump up onboard memory to a few gigs)
    Widgets
    Consistent animations accross screens and a simplified UI without sacrificing the current usability or quickness
    HTML Email Rendering (****s terrible)
    lift email cap, that ****s silly too.

If RIM addressed all those, 6.0 will be the leap RIM needs to stay competitve in the consumer space while keeping it's edge in enterprise.
    In greater news, I will most likely never buy a BB again...WP7S is ******* amazing and I will unquestionably be buying one

03-15-10 03:19 PM
520 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD