Hey to my fellow crackberry addicts

simple question.... well kind off?

is the bold 9000 dated?

Im a current storm 2 owner, but am thinking of a swap

nothing takes my fancy, not even the bold 2 which is just far to small!
    except for the bold1!

so
    buying a bold for 2010

yay or nay?
    03-14-10 01:02 PM
    Not dated for me. I haven't seen any significant improvement that would lead me to upgrade from my 9000. Rock solid, great screen, running 4.6.x with zero problems. Correct password lock function, no problems with bbm, etc.
    03-14-10 01:11 PM
    I haven't tried the 9700 but I don't feel as though my 9000 is outdated. I have had it a little over a year and feel no need to upgrade. The only thing that intrigues me about the 9700 is the track pad. But I haven't really had any issues with the ball.
    03-14-10 01:12 PM
    Oh never asked this

what in gods name is the battery life like?
    03-14-10 01:15 PM
    My 9000 has been stable and reliable and does what I need for over a year so don't see the need to change (yet).
    "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking" - to quote an old Timex wristwatch slogan. Great device.
    03-14-10 01:18 PM
    Just bought a 9000 a week ago. Great move. Loving the larger screen and keyboard, have left it on 4.6 so no problems at all. I came from an 8900. While lots of people like the smaller form factor, I'll stick with the 9000.
    03-14-10 01:24 PM
    Oh never asked this

I get a full day out of the battery. I check my usage with the ILoveBlackberry App, and I use mine about 3 hrs./day.
    03-14-10 01:25 PM
    Not dated for me. I haven't seen any significant improvement that would lead me to upgrade from my 9000. Rock solid, great screen, running 4.6.x with zero problems. Correct password lock function, no problems with bbm, etc.
    Yep, never missed a beat.
    I will only upgrade when the right BB comes along.

I can quite easily get 3 days out of mine if I don't live on it - which I don't.
    03-14-10 01:26 PM
    i concur with everyone else. Prior to the Bold I was always looking for a new phone. Never really satisfied, just 'tolerating' .....at best. My friends would see me with a phone about every 6mo. With the Bold all the new phones out really don't phase me. Also to note--I used to be a fan of the curve and was concerned that the Bold would be too big in my hands. yep, at first I thought I should have stuck to the curve...about 30 min later there was no turning back :-)
    03-14-10 01:35 PM
    The 9000 is the best phone available today IMHO. The only device I might trade for is a replacement 9000. Nothing else comes close.

Coverage is poor in my workplace for 3G so the battery needs a midday charge unless I stay on 2G. No problem for me to get a big day of usage that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 02:26 PM
    The Bold 1 is the 1st revolutionary BB since it all started. The awesome screen, keyboard and speed of the processor, including having ALL connectivity options available in a single device. The 9700 is nice to look at and hold but apart from 256mb of internal memory it had nothing revolutionary about it. It's only evolutionary. If you can get the 9700 for free and like the smaller footprint then go for it. I've been running leaked OS's and hybrids on my Bold 9000 since I got it and of course some are better than others but to date I've found 5.0.0.509 and either WillyBoy's v1.2 or Alexander_Ekin's .545 hybrid simple awesome. I can easily get 2 days use out of 1 charge with the hybrids. And the memory recovery more efficient as well.

Bold 1 outdated?.......definitely not.

I like it so much I bought one brand new and still shrink wrapped off ebay and I've got it stored away just in case my current one gives up the ghost.

Last edited by Juliank; 03-14-10 at 07:05 PM.
    03-14-10 07:02 PM
    I think the BOLD has given me the most value over any technological item I have ever purchased. I have had it for 1.5 years and if it just came on the market I would still buy it. I bought it for $150 and they are still selling for around there with a contract and more without.

There is nothing worth upgrading to for me. The 9700's better camera, trackpad and more app memory is not enough of an upgrade to consider it worth it.

If I still have the BOLD in October it will be 2 years and that would be by far the longest I have ever had a phone.

03-14-10 07:12 PM
    It's not dated if it does what you need.
    03-14-10 07:35 PM
    I've had my Bold since it came out... I have never had a problem with it. Get it
    03-14-10 08:35 PM
    As far as the battery life, I drop mine in the desk charger every night and never have a problem. I use it alot for text, email, and some web browsing. I don't talk on it constantly or use the GPS all that much though. If you do alot of either you probably won't get a full day out of it.
    03-14-10 08:42 PM
    BOLD with 5.0 is current as they get, except the camera. 8900 was good, got a warranty exchange for the 9000, was mad I kept the 8900 for so long, never looked back!
    03-14-10 09:22 PM
    Go for the bold friend. I've had mine since it came out. Best phone I've ever owned, no question at all. Only thing I've had to replace is the headphone jack but that was through my own fault. Other than that, this phone is a champ, buy it.

03-15-10 12:59 AM
    My personal favorite line to say when asked about the Bold compared to the other models "Often imitated, never duplicated. Enough said."

03-15-10 03:20 AM
    Love the Bold, and totally agree with all the previous comments. The trackpad and app memory of the 9700 is appealing, but not enough to warrant an upgrade. Had mine for a bit over a year, and I'm loving it.

In regards to battery life, I was getting one day out of it, MAX. Regardless of how much I used it, I needed to charge it every night. Wifi off, bluetooth off, all apps closed. 1 day. So, I took someones advice and turned off 3G, and operated on just EDGE. Now I get 2-3 days battery life with solid use.

Hope that helped
    03-15-10 04:03 AM
    i agree with the others, get the bold. it is the best blackberry on the market. had mine for 10 months, had a curve before, and the bold is so much better.
    i get about 1.5 to 2 days out of the battery, depending on use. you should get a charging pod also. i drop mine in the pod every time i walk in the door, and i always have a charge. good deal for $14 on amazon.
    in short.... go bold and never go back!!
    03-15-10 11:24 AM
    I tried the 9700 and I'm back the original 9000 and haven't looked back. Get a full day without a charge. Multiple phone calls, messages, texts, surfing, etc. The keyboard is STILL the best out there. This berry should do me fine well into next year.

03-15-10 11:34 AM
    i have had several phones after i got rid of my bold for the first time. to me the 9000 is the best blackberry there is. the 9700 is good but i dont like the 8900 body. this is my 3rd bold

03-16-10 10:32 PM
    i love both... thats why i keep 'em all
    03-17-10 04:05 AM
    Honestly, yes the Bold 9000 is very dated. Almost every device that came after
    it is an improvement in many regards. RIM doesn't even consider the Bold 9000
    it's "flagship" device anymore.

When my Bold 9000 met it's unfortunate end I went looking for a replacement. If
    I had to get another 9000 I would have passed seeing that there were much
    better BB devices to choose from. I picked up the 8900 from Wirefly for $7 and
    am much happier than I ever was with the 9000.
    03-17-10 07:05 PM
    Oh never asked this

To be honest, the 9000 battery life is probably one of the worsts ever. It was the first GSM 3G Blackberry and RIM learned their lesson. RIM wrote a new 3G code for the 9700 and thats why battery life on the 9700 is twice of the 9000.
    03-17-10 07:10 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD