Yesterday I hooked my Storm I to my computer to make a backup as I do each month. Desktop Manager told me that a componet on the phone had an update so I let it go trough the process. My phone restarted during the update and then entered into a seemingly endless cycle of restarting.

I tried reconnecting my phone but to no avail it would only contiue it's cycle. I then followed the instructions on how to save a nuked berry but every time it would get to the point of restarting the phone it would get stuck in that cycle again.

This morning I took my phone to my local VZW store and explained what happened. The tech replaced my phone with a refurb. I came home and hooked it up to my computer to restore my contacts and the phone went to a white screen and restarted. Yet again it was stuck in this endless cycle until I unplugged it. When I removed this one from the computer it would boot like normal.

I tried this a number of times with the same result. I then removed desktop manger and the phone software from my computer along with all drivers and RIM related files. I restarted then downloaded desktop manager and reinstalled.

I restarted my computer again for good measure then tried to restore my contacts again. Sadly the same thing happened - once I plug the phone in a white screen comes up and it restarts over and over.

Hopefully someone has an idea... because I'm lost.
    03-13-10 01:09 PM
    Well, reason is lying in front of you "hello" bad backup file, didn't that ever cross your mind,
    03-13-10 04:12 PM
    I don't think you read the entire post before making your comment. The phone restarts immediately when I plug it into my computer. Even if Desktop manager is not running. And the file is not bad because I copied it to another computer and restored just fine on that computer. I know that makes an obvious "something is wrong with your computer" but I just don't understand what could cause that problem.
    03-13-10 04:21 PM
    first off, the 'update' you saw was not real...its a well known DM glitch. Always hit cancel on it.

At this point i wouldnt try using your backup file. Did you sync with outlook? if so restore from there. Otherwise i think you are kinda sunk.

Have you tried selective restore just for the contacts?
    03-13-10 04:24 PM
    The issue is not my backup file. I have used that file on another computer and it restored everything without any issue. My problem is that when I hook my phone up to my computer the phone immediately goes to a white screen that says something about ARM and then it starts a reboot cycle until I unplug it.
    03-13-10 08:00 PM
    Okay I hooked my partners storm to my computer and it did not reboot the storm but then I hooked mine up and my storm went to the white screen and then rebooted. It seems the problem is related to my phone. The weird thing is that I put it on another computer (my phone) and it did not restart. I'm really confussed as to what would cause that. The driver must not be bad since another storm worked just fine.
    03-14-10 12:21 PM
    I am having the same issue with my storm 1. I did the same thing, and get the white screen of death on my storm 1 but not my wife's storm 1. At the verizon store, apparently it worked fine, but I get it home and the same thing is happening. Really would like to know what the heck is causing this.

and just to be clear, its not a back-up file issue or whatever, it happens as soon as you plug in the usb cable so there is no time to even try the back up.

error message is this:

ARM11: Unknown MTP Mode
    ARMS:
    Device Error: 354
    Failed Task: OBG
    File:
    Line: 0
    SP = 0x02343B28
    LR = 0x01872EFF
    PC = 0x0187221C

anyone got any ideas??
    03-14-10 02:05 PM
    That is the same error that I get. It goes by so fast that it's hard to remember everything but yeah that's it for sure. At least now I know it's not just me. I sent an email to Verizon CS maybe they can help.
    03-14-10 07:00 PM
    i would use another computer to do a complete wipe and reload of the BB
    03-14-10 07:14 PM
    I just posted that I am having this exact same problem. It must be the phone itself (my wife's S1) because I had an S1, currently have an S2 and just hooked up her new S2 to my PC and it has never happened to any of them. I wouldn't even try dealing with this but I need to back up all of her contacts before I trash her phone. Oh and I tried using our laptop and the same thing occurred.

This is so annoying.
    03-20-10 10:03 AM
    I just got a replacement Storm for my brother because his screen went bad. This is the exact problem the new replacement Storm has. "Unknown MTP" whitescreen and then crashes.

Yet I have a Storm also and with the same port, and the same cable, I can connect to the PC just fine.

Edit: I am running Windows 7 64 Bit and my brothers computer is running Windows Vista 32bit, I am going to wipe the phone on his computer and then load a new OS and see if it fixes the problem.
    03-20-10 02:00 PM
    Well I used another computer to wipe the phone and reinstall the last Verizon release but it still restarts with the white screen MTP Error stated above. I'm not really sure what to do from this point because I know the problem is not my computer seeing that another storm with the same software works fine. Yet I don't understand how the phone can work on one computer and not on another. I had hopped that the latest DM release would address this but it did not.
    03-27-10 03:17 PM
    I am having the same issue with my storm 1. I did the same thing, and get the white screen of death on my storm 1 but not my wife's storm 1. At the verizon store, apparently it worked fine, but I get it home and the same thing is happening. Really would like to know what the heck is causing this.

and just to be clear, its not a back-up file issue or whatever, it happens as soon as you plug in the usb cable so there is no time to even try the back up.

error message is this:

ARM11: Unknown MTP Mode
    ARMS:
    Device Error: 354
    Failed Task: OBG
    File:
    Line: 0
    SP = 0x02343B28
    LR = 0x01872EFF
    PC = 0x0187221C

anyone got any ideas??
    Just connect your BlackBerry to PC/Latop run Windows XP and this error won't show any more!
    04-18-10 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD