It's been a few weeks since I used youtube on my 9700, but today I was watching a few videos and found that the quality has really improved. When compared to my old iphone, the quality is virtually identical.
    Am I behind on this, or is it something that just happened?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 01:36 AM
    Maybe for you, but it still doesn't look like much for me.

03-13-10 02:14 AM
    On my 9700 I did a little "hack" that made "HQ" available in Youtube. Videos look way better.

I got the guide off Crackberry, yet I don't remember which post.

go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    click "start optimization"
    test 1/7: click "yes" when you see the tiny grey heart
    test 2/7: click "yes" when you see the puppy
    test 3/7: click "no" when the flash lite video fails
    test 4/7: click "click here" when pressing "5" key does squat
    test 5/7: there is no test 5 for some reason - skip to test 6/7
    test 6/7: click "YES" - the mp4 test video WILL FAIL BUT CLICK "YES" ANYWAY
    test 7/7: click "YES" - the h.263 test video WILL FAIL BUT CLICK "YES" ANYWAY (<- this step is different than the original guide, I reas the documentation and the 9700 DOES support h.263)

After this, videos appear in HQ and video quality is indeed way better, you can recognize faces and even read text on the video. AFAIK it would be the same quality the iPhone uses, yet I could be wrong.

Also, I don't know if this "hack" works on other Blackberries.
    03-13-10 02:49 AM
    The hack works. Also make sure you don't click on the picture of the vid to play it. Instead click the linked text and on the next page click "HQ" to choose high quality video.
    03-13-10 10:01 AM
    Yes, I've already performed that hack. But I decided to click on a few of the non-HQ versions of the videos and they were extremely clear!

Try this video for instance: http://m.youtube.com/profile?user=OldGamerStuff&hl=en&gl=CA&client=mv-google

It's 2 years old, has no HQ option, yet it looks perfect.

Last edited by mikeo007; 03-13-10 at 11:07 AM.
    03-13-10 11:01 AM
    It really improved the video quality for me on "Normal" but not HQ. Perhaps this is because I'm in an EDGE only area, so no 3G or Wi-Fi for me to use?

Thanks for the hack though.
    03-13-10 11:34 AM
    Yea, did that and it still sucks. Audio wont sync to the video, im done with this phone......
    03-13-10 11:44 AM
    i noticed an improvement after installing 5.0.0.545 from 5.0.0.442
    03-13-10 12:22 PM
    Yea, did that and it still sucks. Audio wont sync to the video, im done with this phone......
    Sucks to be you, virtually every video looks good for me, without even using high quality.

03-13-10 12:31 PM
    I am running the same OS that my 9700 came with from T-Mobile. My You-Tube vids are great. The quality of the videos couldn't get much better, very sharp and clear. Everyone plays, no matter how old they are. That's why I'm not downloading a new OS, I'll wait until a major improvement comes, like 6.0 with the great browser and hopefully the ability to download and run apps from the memory card. Do you think I'll be waiting very long??? Should I hold my breath? If Rim wanted some great ways to sell more phones then I would suggest they might tune into this forum and they just might stumble upon the right answer. Just my Opinion.

Vinny

03-13-10 12:36 PM
    It really increased the quality on NORMAL but not on HQ as someone else stated.

03-13-10 08:49 PM
    how to get to "start optimization"?
    03-13-10 09:31 PM
    It worked for both my 9700 and 8900. Normal video looks great now on both phones.
    03-13-10 09:41 PM
    When I saw this thread I decided to try YouTube out. Before my videos looked like this:
    Now I'm really surprise they look like this:

This is a really good improvement. I haven't even done the "hack" (it's an optimization). I'm using the leaked 5.0.0.545 OS.
    Last edited by Felipearaya93; 03-13-10 at 10:20 PM.
    03-13-10 10:11 PM
    It's not a "hack", it's optimization, and can be found here:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-13-10 10:19 PM
    When I saw this thread I decided to try YouTube out. Before my videos looked like this:

Now I'm really surprise they look like this:

This is a really good improvement. I haven't even done the "hack" (it's an optimization). I'm using the leaked 5.0.0.545 OS.
    To be fair, when u compare, u should try to use the same pix at same time interval. Then we will know for sure if it is really a big improvement like u said.

03-13-10 10:35 PM
    To be fair, when u compare, u should try to use the same pix at same time interval. Then we will know for sure if it is really a big improvement like u said.

Before:

After:

I tried my best.
    Last edited by Felipearaya93; 03-13-10 at 11:50 PM.
    03-13-10 11:34 PM
    Before:

After:

I tried my best.
    So how did u went from optimization to un-optimaztion and back and forth?

03-13-10 11:52 PM
    So how did u went from optimization to un-optimaztion and back and forth?

Actually, the "Before" pics are after I optimized. The "After" pics are my regular settings (again, using leaked 5.0.0.545 OS)..
    03-13-10 11:54 PM
    Wow, the Tron Legacy trailer is the first YouTube video that shows in full quality on my 9700.

But most other videos are still crappy or don't stream at all. I think the 9700 only works with very specific formats which is not common on YouTube.
    03-14-10 12:24 AM
    Wow, the Tron Legacy trailer is the first YouTube video that shows in full quality on my 9700.

The another, first on the home page, and again full quality. The third one didn't work. 4th works great, full screen and quality, the Hip Hop Moss Def video. 5th video Lady Gaga, didn't stream. Seems like a crap shoot.
    03-14-10 12:27 AM
    Holy crap...u guys are right. I just checked a video on my 9700 running on 3g on tmo and this video is clear as hd: rtsp://v8.cache5.c.youtube.com/CkELENy73wIaOAmapQy-X3-xgxMYEiASFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoWglDbGlja0xpb mtg_drCwLXayMdLDA==/0/0/0/video.3gp

Some video are clear and so aren't. Could it be some video are 3gp which is compatible with bb? And other pixelated video aren't compatible with bb and thus pixelated

03-14-10 12:55 AM
    On my 9700 I did a little "hack" that made "HQ" available in Youtube. Videos look way better.

I got the guide off Crackberry, yet I don't remember which post.

go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    click "start optimization"
    test 1/7: click "yes" when you see the tiny grey heart
    test 2/7: click "yes" when you see the puppy
    test 3/7: click "no" when the flash lite video fails
    test 4/7: click "click here" when pressing "5" key does squat
    test 5/7: there is no test 5 for some reason - skip to test 6/7
    test 6/7: click "YES" - the mp4 test video WILL FAIL BUT CLICK "YES" ANYWAY
    test 7/7: click "YES" - the h.263 test video WILL FAIL BUT CLICK "YES" ANYWAY (<- this step is different than the original guide, I reas the documentation and the 9700 DOES support h.263)

After this, videos appear in HQ and video quality is indeed way better, you can recognize faces and even read text on the video. AFAIK it would be the same quality the iPhone uses, yet I could be wrong.

Also, I don't know if this "hack" works on other Blackberries.
    I love you man. It totally worked. I've got crazy high quality videos now, the likes of which I've never seen before. (On this phone)
    03-14-10 01:06 AM
    Holy crap...u guys are right. I just checked a video on my 9700 running on 3g on tmo and this video is clear as hd: rtsp://v8.cache5.c.youtube.com/CkELENy73wIaOAmapQy-X3-xgxMYEiASFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoWglDbGlja0xpb mtg_drCwLXayMdLDA==/0/0/0/video.3gp

Some video are clear and so aren't. Could it be some video are 3gp which is compatible with bb? And other pixelated video aren't compatible with bb and thus pixelated

I think youtube has started to up the quality that they stream 3gp videos, which could explain the performance boost we're seeing, even in older videos.
    03-14-10 01:49 AM
    All I can say is 'wow' - I've been disappointed with the yt quality but its excellent with this hack!

Thanks!!

03-14-10 01:57 AM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD