So after going through the BOLD 9650 User Guide I didn't see anything about PTT. This phone was rumored to come with it but couldn't find anything. Anyone find it in there at all?
    03-12-10 03:01 PM
    So after going through the BOLD 9650 User Guide I didn't see anything about PTT. This phone was rumored to come with it but couldn't find anything. Anyone find it in there at all?
    It's a software update. Basically the software just lets u use one of the convenience keys and the speakerphone for PTT.
    03-12-10 03:10 PM
    It's a software update. Basically the software just lets u use one of the convenience keys and the speakerphone for PTT.
    Yeah but this phone is rumored to have it when it launches so it should be in the user guide
    03-12-10 03:41 PM
    PTT where? On Verizon? As a CDMA phone, there wouldn't be any PTT on Sprint. It'd have to be a software feature unique to Verizon's version. VZW would add it to their specific manual but you wouldn't see it in the generic manual from RIM.

--Q-fugee
    03-12-10 03:56 PM
    I hope Verizon does add PTT on it....

That way you can use PTT with the 7 other people that use Verizons version.
    03-12-10 04:16 PM
    It's an add on. Partly the reason for the phones being called back and delayed?
    03-12-10 04:49 PM

What??????????
    03-12-10 05:21 PM
    It's an add on. Partly the reason for the phones being called back and delayed?
    I don't think PTT had ANYTHING to do with those Tour2's being sent back. Being sent back to be rebranded as a Bold, Yes. Being sent back for PTT...Helllllll no lol
    03-12-10 05:22 PM

LOL if only the NexTel Fan Boys knew how well VZW PTT worked...
    03-12-10 09:17 PM
    The 7 others! Thats funny right there! heehe...That would be real easy for annual reunion invitations. You could group chirp it!... Um...do they chirp like we do? Or does it just go "can you hear me now"?
    03-12-10 09:28 PM
    wish i could have got a copy of the User Guide
    03-12-10 11:42 PM
    Where and at what point did you see it was supposed to have PTT?

From everything I've seen and heard, it was to have the same basic features that the Bold has such as faster processor, more memory, wifi, trackpad. No mention of PTT anywhere.

Besides, who really uses that on Verizon anyway? like 1% of the customer base?
    03-13-10 12:38 AM
    ah, nevermind... i found it

BGR has found out a couple of interesting pieces of news relating to the Verizon version of the BlackBerry Tour 9630. First, the long awaited BlackBerry 5.0 OS upgrade will take place sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. The upgrade will also include a new "Push-To-Talk" function that will cost an extra $5 a month to work over Verizon's data network. The next bit of news is that the BlackBerry Tour2 9650,which might end up being called the Bold 9650, will launch around May. The new hardware will also include the "Push-To-Talk" option. No word on how much the new handset will cost. There is also no word on whether or not Sprint's model of the Tour will be included in the 5.0 and PTT upgrade, or whether or not the pin-dropping network will be getting the new hardware.
    Source: BlackBerry Tour OS upgrade coming in weeks, new hardware in May? � Boy Genius Report
    03-13-10 12:51 AM
    LOL if only the NexTel Fan Boys knew how well VZW PTT worked...
    For the record, 2 years ago I had a work issued Nextel 580, and my own personal VZW Casio Boulder with PTT.

When I switched jobs, the 1st thing I did was dump VZW and get myself a Nextel 8350i. Not because Verizons ptt didn't work just fine, but because NOBODY in my circle of friends or business partners uses Verizons PTT.

Now 2 years later, if you noticed, I have a plain ole' Sprint Blackberry 8530, because PTT is no longer as important to me as 3G speed.

So call me a fanboy if you wish, but I know Verizons PTT works just fine. They just don't have anyone using it.
    03-13-10 07:25 AM

So call me a fanboy if you wish, but I know Verizons PTT works just fine. They just don't have anyone using it.
    And that is why it works fine

Im sure AT&T Service would be great if it wasn"t for the iphone.
    03-13-10 08:05 AM
    *CHIRRRRRP!!!* Hey Joe
    *CHIRRRRRP!!!!*Yeah Frank
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey you got a 2x4 over 'dere?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* No why?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Oh nothing
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Ok

or

*CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey honey?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Yeah?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Where are you?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Uh...why?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Because I wanna know. Tha's why I got PTT to keep track of you wherever you go 24/7.
    03-13-10 09:21 AM
    I watched a young couple talk to each other with Nextel's PTT in a department store within eye sight of each other about what color shirt goes best with khaki pants and she responded with what a great deal she found in the tube sock bin. Seriously people, get a life!
    03-13-10 10:48 AM
    *CHIRRRRRP!!!* Hey Joe
    *CHIRRRRRP!!!!*Yeah Frank
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey you got a 2x4 over 'dere?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* No why?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Oh nothing
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Ok

or

*CHIRRRRRP!!* Hey honey?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Yeah?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Where are you?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Uh...why?
    *CHIRRRRRP!!* Because I wanna know. Tha's why I got PTT to keep track of you wherever you go 24/7.
    This is priceless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 11:28 AM
    I watched a young couple talk to each other with Nextel's PTT in a department store within eye sight of each other about what color shirt goes best with khaki pants and she responded with what a great deal she found in the tube sock bin. Seriously people, get a life!
    Nextel use outside of a construction related job or hiking/camping is pointless and annoying. The "Chirp" is made to be loud and obnoxious so people can hear it over all the noise a job site has.

Doesn't matter anyway, because Sprint is trying their best to kill IDEN PTT.
    03-14-10 07:19 AM
    Most of regular construction workers aren't going to want a 9650/9750/whatever, because they're looking for a rough and tumble PTT-capable phone that they know will get beaten, battered, and dropped from time to time, and exposed to dust, etc. However, the construction foremen, project supervisors, construction engineers, construction managers, and others dealing with paperwork might love it (though they'd probably try to protect it with an OtterBox or something similar). They have to have PTT to stay in touch with their workers on site, too, but when they come across an unexpected condition in the field (or in many cases, an "I can't believe our folks did that!"), they can type up a request for information (RFI), take a photo, and fire it all off to the Project Architect or Engineer for help. We have a couple of clients who are currently doing this without the PTT on that device, and it really can speed up response time. Using the current system where someone goes back to the construction trailer or maybe even the main office and type something up, I've seen it take up to several days from the time a condition is encountered until an RFI arrives (and sometimes longer, but those guys usually aren't around for long!).
    Last edited by StarTraveler; 03-14-10 at 07:52 AM.
    03-14-10 07:49 AM
    Most of regular construction workers aren't going to want a 9650/9750/whatever, because they're looking for a rough and tumble PTT-capable phone that they know will get beaten, battered, and dropped from time to time, and exposed to dust, etc. However, the construction foremen, project supervisors, construction engineers, construction managers, and others dealing with paperwork might love it (though they'd probably try to protect it with an OtterBox or something similar). They have to have PTT to stay in touch with their workers on site, too, but when they come across an unexpected condition in the field (or in many cases, an "I can't believe our folks did that!"), they can type up a request for information (RFI), take a photo, and fire it all off to the Project Architect or Engineer for help. We have a couple of clients who are currently doing this without the PTT on that device, and it really can speed up response time. Using the current system where someone goes back to the construction trailer or maybe even the main office and type something up, I've seen it take up to several days from the time a condition is encountered until an RFI arrives (and sometimes longer, but those guys usually aren't around for long!).
    x2! When I was out in the field, I have a Nextel handset and the PTT part was great for getting ahold of my sales reps to get parts, pipe, fixtures or whatnot ordered and delivered to the jobsites (I was in the plumbing field) but now that I'm out of that and on the sales end of the same field, a PTT Blackberry on VZW would be amazing. PTT isn't for your everyday consumer...it has its market area. It's not for the husband and wife, family members seperated by 50 miles and such...it's for the construction and construction sales industry. I sell materials to plumbers, well drillers, septic installers, excavators...I deal with factory sales reps, engineers, co-workers and bosses on the go. PTT is a great advantage in the construction industry (whats left of it). And Sprint trying their hardest to get rid of the iDEN PTT is a great chance for Verizon to gain market share on that side of the business. I think it's a great tool and advantage to have.
    03-14-10 08:01 AM
    I agree 1000%... I was in Pizza Hut Ordering my food, and this guy was on his Nextel Chirping the Entire time... I was like are you SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Its just an antiquated & dilapidated service... and ANNOYING AS H*LL IF YOU ARE INSIDE!!!
    03-14-10 11:17 AM
    I agree 1000%... I was in Pizza Hut Ordering my food, and this guy was on his Nextel Chirping the Entire time... I was like are you SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Its just an antiquated & dilapidated service... and ANNOYING AS H*LL IF YOU ARE INSIDE!!!
    X2. It's an odd duck who isn't aware or actually thinks everyone wants to hear them chirping away talking to luvydove about the topping on their pizza.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 01:58 PM
    The chirping can be silenced. You can't say this is a crappy service just because people that use it aren't considerate of others. When I had a nextel I often silenced the chirping.

I would love to have this feature at work cause Im always running around our building looking for one person or another.
    03-14-10 03:18 PM
    The chirping can be silenced. You can't say this is a crappy service just because people that use it aren't considerate of others. When I had a nextel I often silenced the chirping.

I would love to have this feature at work cause Im always running around our building looking for one person or another.
    +1
    Just because some moron can't figure out what the button with a speaker on it is for doesn't mean it's a bad service.

There are many reasons why PTT is a good idea, but unless you have actually used it you wouldn't understand.

Friend of mine works for the Federal government and always had Nexel. Now he has a Verizon PTT phone. I know the Federal Government isn't very big, but at least someone is using it
    03-14-10 03:41 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD