Thanks guys. I SWITCHED IT ON FOR THE 1st TIME.

THE TRIP HAS JUST GOT STARTED.....

There are some first things I noticed with the 9700.... I inserted card, battery, charged it and everything worked, out of the box, from the first use!!!. Both the internet connection and the phone.

Everything was in place. Even the logo of my provider. This makes me suspect that the phone came preinstalled with O/S and software by the provider.

What bothers me most is whether I am able to update/ upgrade or change the O/S, without losing connection with my provider. and keep my provider's service going.

Thanks in advance.
    03-12-10 05:06 AM
    What bothers me most is whether I am able to update/ upgrade or change the O/S, without losing connection with my provider. and keep my provider's service going.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, you are able to update.
    03-12-10 05:26 AM
    Glad to see you had the nerve to remove it from the box!

You do not NEED to update the OS. The latest have little improvements to offer.

Why not just enjoy it the way it is and when a "real" improvement in OS does arrive, you can do it then.

Congrats on your first step!
    03-12-10 05:31 AM
    I agree. Im still running the stock OS. For me, the very minute enhancements that upgrading brings are not worth the hassle. Im going to wait for some real improvements before i upgrade. Mine is working PERFECTLY.
    Last edited by pilsbury; 03-12-10 at 06:50 AM.
    03-12-10 06:18 AM
    Get to know your device before you mess with upgrading the OS... then when you are considering it, read all you can about that OS version and know how to upgrade... but first - ENJOY what you have!!!
    03-12-10 06:32 AM
    Thanks guys. I don't believe I m replying to my thread on the bus using my blackberry now!

Cool isn't it?

Th.
    03-12-10 08:02 AM
    LoL...glad to see ur enjoying it!! Soon enough you will be at the bus stop, in class, at the dinner table.......well.....you'll be everywhere posting on CB!!! The addiction doesn't take long at all! I've had my 9700 since the first wk or 2 they came out and I have only installed official OS upgrades from my carrier. I've been in love since day one and have no need to mess with other OS leaked or not. Just get to know your BB. Don't worry bout upgrading just yet. Big Congratulations to you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 08:33 AM
    Haha. Thanks hunoosh. That is cool !

Thanks for making me feel good. Like any other gadget I know that I will come into some difficulties soon or late but I will get through, Just like I always did!

Thanks...
    03-12-10 01:39 PM
    Just relax and enjoy it!
    03-12-10 02:21 PM
    Its never ending learning! But the fun doesn't end either. :-)

03-12-10 03:42 PM
    On my old 9000 I upgraded OS in order to get 5.0. My 9700 came with 5.0.405. I know there are newer leaks, but I see no reason to upgrade as this berry blows my old one away!!

03-12-10 04:50 PM
    Thanks Guys!
    03-13-10 12:10 AM
    Congrats and I do agree, 9700 is the best BB

03-13-10 12:17 AM
    On my old 9000 I upgraded OS in order to get 5.0. My 9700 came with 5.0.405. I know there are newer leaks, but I see no reason to upgrade as this berry blows my old one away!!

same here .405 which should be the same os you have is perfect well for me it is.
    03-13-10 01:24 AM
    Thanks guys. I don't believe I m replying to my thread on the bus using my blackberry now!

Cool isn't it?

Th.
    LOL. glad youre liking it. if you use it EVERYWHERE, just be sure not to drop it in the toilet
    03-13-10 12:56 PM
    As the others have said. Get used to it, find apps you like, learn all you can. If you are an average user (not that anyone thinks themselves average), stick with what you've got. If you find yourself a power user, and the OS starts to seem slow, then upgrade. Right now the two latest leaks are outstanding, and the choice between them seems carrier dependent.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-13-10 01:26 PM
    I agree. There are significant improvements in .536 and .545 in terms of speed, browser, battery life compared to .296, .330, .405 and .442 in my experience

03-13-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD