i think its a hardware problem. i have to squeeze the button hard to get it to work. and even still, sometimes it wont work at all. is there a fix i can do for this? i don't want to return it. everything else is fine. I'm afraid to take the top cover off without good directions. can anyone help?

also is there anyone else having the same problem?
    03-11-10 05:39 PM
    If you dont think its a hardware issue, you can try a battery pull or upgrading to a leaked OS, .451 works nice.

Take apart a Storm:

03-11-10 06:15 PM
    I'd try an OS update first. If that doesn't work, I'd take it back to the store. If the button you're referring to is one of the 4 bottom buttons, you can try adjusting (loosening) one or both of the torx screws. That fixed my buttons.
    03-11-10 06:44 PM
    Hmm. Have both of you not read my post. It IS a hardware issue. Thanks for the info on taking apart my bb. I'll advise on my findings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 09:28 PM
    Wait. That's a link for the storm 1. I have a storm 2 as the forum indicates. Are the instructions the same? I don't want to risk it without more advise.

03-11-10 09:31 PM
    Do not take chances, take it in to the store.

03-12-10 01:06 AM
    Hmm. Have both of you not read my post. It IS a hardware issue. Thanks for the info on taking apart my bb. I'll advise on my findings.

I'll assume you weren't trying to come off as a **** on purpose and explain their answers. Your first post said you THOUGHT it was a hardware issue, not that you KNEW 100% it was a hardware issue. I think they also assumed by the nature of your post you were looking for help and they were trying to offer some advice.

Now, which button isn't functioning properly? Are you talking about the red end key in the bottom of the screen (which can be fixed with grey's recommendation), or are you talking about the mute/screen lock/power button in the top of the device?

Also, how is it not working? Does it not push in at all? Does it push in but nothing happens? Do you get an unexpected result when you push it? What OS are you running? What 3rd party apps do you have installed?

Be more descriptive of your problems, search the forums first, and be careful not to bite the head off of those tryi g to help you.

03-12-10 01:15 AM

it most certainly can be software related as pointed out in many threads the buttons operate better on later software.
    03-12-10 01:26 AM

Now, which button isn't functioning properly?

*the power button.

Are you talking about the red end key in the bottom of the screen (which can be fixed with grey's recommendation),

*does the red end call button act as a power button as well? is there an option for that?

or are you talking about the mute/screen lock/power button in the top of the device?

*yes that is the power button i am inquiring about.

Also, how is it not working? Does it not push in at all? Does it push in but nothing happens?

*it pushes in but nothing happens unless I use lots of strength to push it. with proper pressure it will work

Do you get an unexpected result when you push it?

*yes it does not turn off unless, as stated, I use lots of pressure

What OS are you running?

What 3rd party apps do you have installed?

*Air Traffic Control
    bbOSalert for BlackBerry 4.7.0 and higher
    BerryBuzz 2.1 - Custom LED Colors, Repeating Alerts and more! OS 4.7 and OS 5.0
    Black Pearl
    e-GPS
    Earl Grey
    Earl Grey Re-visited
    English Dictionary and Thesaurus Touch device version
    Fancy Characters
    Mars Lander for BlackBerry Storm
    MeterBerry - The Ultimate System Management Utility
    Par 72 Golf II for BlackBerry
    Personal Assistant Premium for OS 4.7 and up
    QuickLaunch
    SmartBCalendar for OS 4.7 - 5.0
    The Perfect Storm - Hidden Today Plus! [Red] - OS 5.0
    Vegas Pool Sharks for BlackBerry
    weatherBerry
    tether
    King James Bible
    maple leafs mobile
    yellow pages canada for blackberry
    Point
    plus a few more I cant think of.

Be more descriptive of your problems, search the forums first,

*I dont know how to be any more clear. I think ive stated my problem to the best of my ability.

and be careful not to bite the head off of those tryi g to help you.

*i dont feel I did that at all.

thanks.

Dennis

ps. I messed up on my reply. Please note my responses are identified by an asterisk in the above quote.
    03-12-10 04:38 AM
    Understanding that your button problem is what I call the lock/unlock button, if it was my phone, I'd take it in or call CS and have it replaced. I don't mind adjusting a torx screw to improve clicking, but I'm not going to go any deeper into dis-assembly than that.
    03-12-10 11:37 AM
    Yeah, I would definitely take it back for exchange or call tech and have them send you a new one.
    03-12-10 06:38 PM
    Dennis: Yours is the first post I've seen that specifies the power button, but there are TONS of posts related to other buttons. I'm not sure if it's all related or not, but be advised that RIM recently posted a notice to all VZW stores (don't know about Canada) to ship all S2s back for a hardware fix. They inserted some sort of silicone sleeves on the actuators (again, this may or may not, not address your issue). I received my replacement two days ago and the screen performance is 50% smoother (very slick indeed).

Keep us posted...I'm curious if others have had top button issues.
    03-12-10 06:56 PM
    The lock/unlock button actually has a power symbol on it. It serves two purposes as well. If you tap it, it will lock or unlock the phone. If you hold it, it will turn the phone off. The button in the other side of the phone is the mute key (and is labeled as so)

Dennis - It sounds like your problem is def hardware. The cover is just taped on there from factory if you want to pull it off. But with that, the actual actuator/button part is probably defective so you'll need to replace it. Just take it to the store and show them and they'll more than likely replace the phone for you. Just backup for data and apps before going to store so you can restore them to the new phone.
    03-12-10 08:46 PM
    Yeah. Seems like that's like my only option. I was hoping to keep this phone.

03-12-10 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD