Today"s blog mentions the functionality of the mute/lock issue. so now, I am confused a bit. so the only stand by is the holster? if the "A" button only LOCKS the key board, not stand by and the "MUTE" button only unlocks and mutes, where is standby, only holster? and I liked the fade out which was telling me i was going into stand by and not just blacking the screen. or is the instant "OFF" of the screen actually stand by also?
    03-11-10 01:26 PM
    does anybody know the answer to my question? If the mute button and the"A"
    key only lock/unlock, how do we standby besides the holster??
    03-11-10 11:19 PM
    Both standby and lock still exist, but they've changed around how you get to them. How it has changed varies a bit depending on which OS version you are using, I believe. This is how it works on .509, I believe it is pretty close to this on other recent OS 5 versions.

Standby is (and always has been) the feature that blacks out your screen and locks your keyboard when you press and hold the mute button on the top of the phone. You are correct that it used to fade the screen out and now it just goes black, but it's still the same thing.

Lock is what has changed. Pressing and holding "A" used to lock your phone. Now, pressing "A" puts the phone into standby. Lock is now renamed "Password Lock" and is only an option if you have a password set. It is still accessible as a main menu choice, can be linked to one of the side buttons, or can be set to lock automatically when the phone is holstered. The big difference is that the Password Lock function completely disappears if you turn the password off. The menu choice disappears, the side button option disappears, and nothing happens when you holster your phone.

Mute: Standby
    A: Standby
    Holster: Password Lock (if set)

It'll probably be less confusing in the long run, but it has a lot of people peeved right now. Standby and Lock without a password used to do essentially the same thing, they are just reducing some redundancy I guess.

I hope this makes sense.
    03-12-10 08:30 AM
    It basically does the same job actually for the latest OS, keylock and standby were mixed together now instead of separate it and causing confusion. Only thing is you can still set password lock if you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 12:12 AM
    all os > 5.0.0.5XX will have the new lock/stanby style
    03-13-10 12:17 AM
    Unfortunately with 509 when you press the "a" key the screen goes black. When you press any key there is a message to push down the 'mute' key.

Here is the problem: if you don't do anything for a few minutes the keyboard automatically does back to unlocked. Or, if you put the phone in the holster, it will also go back to unlocked when you take the phone out.

The older 'a' method is better for a permanent lock.
    03-13-10 01:00 PM
    does anybody know the answer to my question? If the mute button and the"A"
    key only lock/unlock, how do we standby besides the holster??
    Holding A = lock
    Mute Key = putting it on standby
    03-14-10 09:39 AM
    Apparently Holding A=Mute key for new OS .509

03-14-10 09:46 AM
    On .509 mute and "A" do the exact same thing.

03-14-10 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD