Hey guys,

It has taken me about a year to get this point and wanted to see what everyone thought. I know there are a lot of posts on here about people switching over and asking questions, but i wanted to ask a question about more the future for Verizon compared to Sprint.

Im currently on Sprint, and to be honest have never really had any issues with them, i dont hate thier service and overall i dont think its that bad.

My issue with them is thier devices. I feel like they dont update there phones enough and when they do, its a huge deal and the phone doesnt end up being that much. To me, Verizon has a way better selection and is going in a direction where they will have more platforms, such as Android phones and the rumors of an iPhone at some point.

From what i have seen, Verizon will always have updated devices and i have never read anything bad about thier coverage, thier prices i know are a little more expensive though. I currently have 450 anytime minutes, BIS and tethering, i pay about 112$ a month when its all said and done. Im pretty sure Verizon will be more.

Anyway, year after year i have been annoyed with Sprints device selection and im thinking of going into Verizon today and checking out the Storm 2. I want to stay with a BB but would also like a bigger screen to surf the web so im gonna check that one out.

As far as switching and Verizons future...am i way off the mark?

Any input is appreciated..
    03-11-10 08:39 AM
    I would wait before making any decisions until after WES (next month) and see if RIM announces a device that you may like that will be released for Sprint.
    03-11-10 08:50 AM
    Hey guys,

It has taken me about a year to get this point and wanted to see what everyone thought. I know there are a lot of posts on here about people switching over and asking questions, but i wanted to ask a question about more the future for Verizon compared to Sprint.

Im currently on Sprint, and to be honest have never really had any issues with them, i dont hate thier service and overall i dont think its that bad.

My issue with them is thier devices. I feel like they dont update there phones enough and when they do, its a huge deal and the phone doesnt end up being that much. To me, Verizon has a way better selection and is going in a direction where they will have more platforms, such as Android phones and the rumors of an iPhone at some point.

From what i have seen, Verizon will always have updated devices and i have never read anything bad about thier coverage, thier prices i know are a little more expensive though. I currently have 450 anytime minutes, BIS and tethering, i pay about 112$ a month when its all said and done. Im pretty sure Verizon will be more.

Anyway, year after year i have been annoyed with Sprints device selection and im thinking of going into Verizon today and checking out the Storm 2. I want to stay with a BB but would also like a bigger screen to surf the web so im gonna check that one out.

Nationwide Talk & Text 450 min plan = $59.99
    BIS = $29.99
    Mobile Broadband Connect = $30.00

So you're total would be $119.98 not including any taxes.

You aren't wrong with the future of VZW. Device selection will always be there with VZW. However, at this point the iPhone is a rumor.
    03-11-10 09:16 AM
    If you're an individual on a single plan, the price difference won't be huge. Verizon's coverage is amazing where I live. Actually, they offer all major carriers here, BUT everyone uses Verizon since it has the best and strongest coverage.

As for customer service, I've never been disappointed with it. They are always fair and work with me on any problems I have.

Verizon offers discounts through a lot of employeers. I get 17% off my plan and 20% off data. That makes it quite affordable.

The Storm2 is a great phone. Don't let the trolls tell you otherwise. I have been extremely happy with this device. I have used almost every smartphone on the market (including Sprint's). The Storm2 is my favorite thus far. It is a great cross for a person who wants a large screen but wants BlackBerry OS and support.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.
    03-11-10 09:25 AM
    Hey guys,

I too was a long time Sprint customer (close to 10 years).. I switched in August of last year and haven't thought twice about it.

I also thought that Sprint was falling behind with phones and service. I would roam for no reason even with the latest PRL.

RIM seems to court the largest carriers on both sides of the spectrum (CDMA / GSM) and Sprint isn't the largest on the CDMA side, therefore I think they get the "second wave" of devices.
    03-11-10 09:33 AM
    Thanks for the responses guys, i have never really heard anything bad about Verizon, and even when you google it they always seem to come out on top.

I love my BB and BB's platform, but i have been thinking of getting more of a gadget lately like an Android or iPhone (if i went with ATT) but i dont think i can get away from a BB right now. Something as simple as BBM would make me stay considering thats all i ever use.

What do the taxes look like for your guys at the end of the month? On Sprint i have just under or a little above 20$ a month.

Wierd thing is i have a GPS device in my car called the ClarionMind that hooks to my cell phone via blutooth then uses a dial up to go on online, so i have live weather and news, internet whatever on the GPS, thats why i have the phone as modem option. But on the GPS you cant install anything so i cant use a Tethering software. I rarely use it but its a nice option when i travel.

How does it work as far as switching? Just go in and tell them i want this phone and plan and switch my number over? Im still in contract with Sprint and dont mind paying the fee because i would be with Verizon for the long haul but is it really that easy to switch over??
    03-11-10 09:39 AM
    It is really that easy to switch. Just walk into Verizon and tell them that you would like to port over from Sprint. Bring in a copy of your bill since you'll need your Sprint account number so they can complete the port.
    03-11-10 10:40 AM
    good choice switchng
    03-11-10 11:00 AM
    i also switched form Sprint to Verizon. Best move I ever did. I couldnt stand Sprints service anymore.

you pay a little higher with Verizon, but you get what you pay for... well worth it!
    03-11-10 11:25 AM
    i also switched form Sprint to Verizon. Best move I ever did. I couldnt stand Sprints service anymore.

you pay a little higher with Verizon, but you get what you pay for... well worth it!
    Good to hear! Everyone has a lot of good things to say about Verizon and thier service.

Im at work but have been thinking everything up and down so im sure i want the switch (since i will have to pay i think 160$ pro rate ETF fee). Just found out that VZ GPS service is ten dollars a month, that kinda sucks, i used sprint navigation all the time which is free. But im guessing there are some free GPS software outhere for the Storm, havent checked much.

Something else i was thinking about, if i was to have a Storm 2 on my main line but also had a Moto Droid, could i switch off between phones with the same SIM card or something? I read some posts on here where people said they have BB for the work week and a Droid for the weekend..
    Last edited by SprintTour155; 03-11-10 at 11:33 AM.
    03-11-10 11:29 AM
    Good to hear! Everyone has a lot of good things to say about Verizon and thier service.

Im at work but have been thinking everything up and down so im sure i want the switch (since i will have to pay i think 160$ pro rate ETF fee). Just found out that VZ GPS service is ten dollars a month, that kinda sucks, i used sprint navigation all the time which is free. But im guessing there are some free GPS software outhere for the Storm, havent checked much.

Something else i was thinking about, if i was to have a Storm 2 on my main line but also had a Moto Droid, could i switch off between phones with the same SIM card or something? I read some posts on here where people said they have BB for the work week and a Droid for the weekend..
    yes, the VZ-Nav for Verizon does charge 10 bucks a month to use. There are free ones, but there not voice commands like the VZ Nav is

You can have 2 phones and pick and choose which one you want to use. What I do to switch phones in Log into the Verizon Website, there is an option to change your phone. You type in the Meid number off the phone, and then just dial *228 from the phone you want to activate and choose the option to activate the phone.
    03-11-10 12:11 PM
    You'll have to re-name your nick too. .
    03-11-10 12:14 PM
    You'll have to re-name your nick too. .
    LOL, i know i was thinking that.

As far as the phone switching, what if you have BIS then switch to a droid? Is it the same thing as far as data?
    03-11-10 01:05 PM
    LOL, i know i was thinking that.

As far as the phone switching, what if you have BIS then switch to a droid? Is it the same thing as far as data?
    Same price, different feature code. If you do the change online it should auto-switch but because they're both unlimited proration doesn't really matter.
    03-11-10 01:52 PM
    Same price, different feature code. If you do the change online it should auto-switch but because they're both unlimited proration doesn't really matter.
    So whats everyones taxes looking like at the end of the month?

What is it .15 cents a text if you dont have unlimited? I probably send 50 texts a month, probably less.
    03-11-10 01:56 PM
    I have two lines and after federal, state, and county 911 fees, I pay about 8-10 dollars for my primary line, the secondary is 5 bucks or so.

For an individual line, look for around 10 bucks.
    03-11-10 02:12 PM
    In PA I think I pay around 14 for the first line and around 8 for the second...gotta love the double taxt on wireless bills in the Keystone State!
    03-11-10 02:22 PM
    Once again thanks for the info.

Went to the Verizon store tonight and played with the Storm 2. Really nice phone, i was surprised on how professional it looked, it did not look like a toy, which most touch screens do.

But i will say, that was a whole different experience, i could not type for anything and felt like the left and the right side of the screen was just going up and down with the SurePress technology. I know i would get used to it though so now im just thinking on what i want to do. I played with an HTC Droid phone and while i did not like the navigation of the phone, the browser was amazing, quick and clean. We all know BB has its browser problems and if i didnt like BB's platform so much i would go with another phone.

I dont know, i feel like im in a bind, i want the BB but i like the new gadget type phones that are out now. Im not saying i didnt like the Storm but it def. will take some getting used to. Also, and maybe it was that one but does the keyboard always have that "cheap" look? I felt like the screen was jacked up or something, the letters looked almost drawn in.....
    03-11-10 08:18 PM
    Once again thanks for the info.

Went to the Verizon store tonight and played with the Storm 2. Really nice phone, i was surprised on how professional it looked, it did not look like a toy, which most touch screens do.

But i will say, that was a whole different experience, i could not type for anything and felt like the left and the right side of the screen was just going up and down with the SurePress technology. I know i would get used to it though so now im just thinking on what i want to do. I played with an HTC Droid phone and while i did not like the navigation of the phone, the browser was amazing, quick and clean. We all know BB has its browser problems and if i didnt like BB's platform so much i would go with another phone.

I dont know, i feel like im in a bind, i want the BB but i like the new gadget type phones that are out now. Im not saying i didnt like the Storm but it def. will take some getting used to. Also, and maybe it was that one but does the keyboard always have that "cheap" look? I felt like the screen was jacked up or something, the letters looked almost drawn in.....

your doing the right thing by playing around with the phones before you give into one. Most people dive into a phone not knowing anything about it, but at least your taking time trying different phones out.

as far as the Storm 2 goes.. yeah typing is a pain in the **** to do on any touch screen VS a QWERTY keyboard. I know when I had the storm, it took me about 2 weeks to get used to typing on it and I still couldnt type as fast as I could compared to the QWERTY Blackberrys. Needless to say, the touch screen cell phones are not for me.

as far as the Driod, yes, it has an awesome browser, but thats about it. Blackberry beats out the rest of what that phone can do. This summer thoguh we will be getting the webkit browser for Blackberrys which is suppose to compete with the driods and Iphones browser, so something to be aware of.

but like I said, your doing the right thing by playing around with the phones before diving in, so take your time, and of course you have 30 days to try out a phone and return it if you end up not liking it
    03-11-10 09:20 PM
    You're getting some great advice. By now, I think you realize you will be paying more for VZW service but, imo, getting better coverage and cs. VZW seems to be raising the bar on their product offerings, and many of us are looking forward to the next wave of new devices. I go into a store at least once a month to check things out and play with the various devices on display. I have yet to warm up to any touch screen. Good Luck!
    03-12-10 09:19 AM
    Shop around and make sure you do your research. More devices and newer technology are set to pop up next quarter so if you are unsure, go with your gut feeling and wait. I have a past due upgrade already, but being in the field of technology, I am opting to wait it out to see what surprises await.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 12:14 PM
    Thanks again guys.

I havent made the switch yet, i want to though, but i have been held back by a few things. Like i said before i have to see if i can truthfully make the switch to a touch screen but i know other new devices will be out this year. I also dont know if i want to pay more, my bill is already not cheap, sprint navigation is free (which i use all the time) and my plan has unlimited everything including teathering for 102$ with taxes a month so sometimes i just want to stay with that. BUT, im looking in the long run and as far as service and devices, Verizon wins.

Just yesterday i hadnt heard from a friend all day that i was supposed to talk to after a medical procedure. Come to find out thier service was jacked (sprint) and it took them over two hours on the phone because the guy had no idea what he was talking about, and in the midst of all that, my service (emails) was down all day also, and i get work emails all the time. Not saying this couldnt happen to Verizon or hasnt happened, but this is becoming a very constant thing for Sprint lately.

Im still doing research and holding out but i will say, if Verizon's prices were closer to Sprint (i realize a better network will cost more) i would have already made the switch. But times are tough now for everyone so i do have to consider that.

I wish we had some sort of date on the Tour 2, Bold 9650 whatever, because i do love my Tour and yesterday was the first time i played with the Trackpad on a Curve im guessing it was, and that pad is awesome.

Im guessing the Curve 8530 has a lower resolution screen, and as far as hardware less then the Tour....? Im pretty sure thats what the specs said but im no pro.
    Last edited by SprintTour155; 03-12-10 at 01:35 PM.
    03-12-10 01:33 PM
    The Curve 8530 does have a much lower resolution, but it is a lower device. It doesn't have a flash, no high res screen, different/cheaper style keyboard, etc. But it does have WiFi which the Tour doesn't.
    03-12-10 03:45 PM
    yes the Curve 8530 is a much less phone then the Tour is. actually the 8530 is the bottom line Blackberry for entry users.

since times are tough right now for you, obviously your going to pay more for Verizon, but if money is tight, if I were you I would hold onto Sprint a little longer until your back on your feet. Verizon will always be here so you know where to go when your ready to make the switch.
    03-12-10 05:32 PM
    yes the Curve 8530 is a much less phone then the Tour is. actually the 8530 is the bottom line Blackberry for entry users.

since times are tough right now for you, obviously your going to pay more for Verizon, but if money is tight, if I were you I would hold onto Sprint a little longer until your back on your feet. Verizon will always be here so you know where to go when your ready to make the switch.
    A lot of people dont agree but i like the Curve keyboard better, still cannot get used to that Tour's keyboard.

Havent made the switch, i will probably wait it out and see what comes out next for devices as far as both carriers.

Thanks for all the help though!
    03-15-10 02:34 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD