regarding the bold 9700; on the old blackberrys, the SMS screen was set out in an email format when conversations were viewed..
    now this looked like the new blackberry messenger set up with the blue and white bubbles
    is this the same with everybodies and is there anyway i can change it back to the old format..??
    03-10-10 04:09 PM
    nope you are stuck with the new format

some love it

some hate it

but either way no way to get the old version back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 04:12 PM
    I personally love the new style. I believe you can change the bubble to something else, but still not like the old format.
    03-10-10 04:29 PM
    I personally love the new style. I believe you can change the bubble to something else, but still not like the old format.
    i think you can change it to bubbles or stripes. and the threaded SMS style is permanent. only the pre 5.0 OS's still have the old style.
    03-10-10 09:04 PM
    regarding the bold 9700; on the old blackberrys, the SMS screen was set out in an email format when conversations were viewed..
    now this looked like the new blackberry messenger set up with the blue and white bubbles
    is this the same with everybodies and is there anyway i can change it back to the old format..??
    It's terrible. If they fixed this and allowed us to TURN IT OFF, the 9700 would be darn close to a perfect device. But this dreaded threaded sms just stinks. And as others have said, there is nothing you can do about it. The result is that the 9700 will probably be my last BlackBerry.
    03-10-10 09:52 PM
    It's terrible. If they fixed this and allowed us to TURN IT OFF, the 9700 would be darn close to a perfect device. But this dreaded threaded sms just stinks. And as others have said, there is nothing you can do about it. The result is that the 9700 will probably be my last BlackBerry.
    i dont know how you guys dont like it. the old sms style was a jumbled mess of sent and received messages. i found myself accidentally responding to wrong sms's sometimes. its alot easier to view it as an ongoing, organized chat. i can select to open one convo at a time. theres no need to see one long list of incoming/outgoing messages that are all mixed in from all contacts im currently sms'ing. the old way was stupid. the new threaded sms is so much more organized and makes sense.
    03-10-10 10:00 PM
    i dont know how you guys dont like it. the old sms style was a jumbled mess of sent and received messages. i found myself accidentally responding to wrong sms's sometimes. its alot easier to view it as an ongoing, organized chat. i can select to open one convo at a time. theres no need to see one long list of incoming/outgoing messages that are all mixed in from all contacts im currently sms'ing. the old way was stupid. the new threaded sms is so much more organized and makes sense.
    I agree, but I think the Bubbles or Stripes is a bit of a joke. Hardly any difference between the two.
    03-10-10 10:07 PM
    I agree, but I think the Bubbles or Stripes is a bit of a joke. Hardly any difference between the two.
    Bubbles is supposed to tie into BBM's messaging style, while stripes is supposed to be closer to the old style, but still have the new colours and organizational features.
    03-10-10 10:13 PM
    the new threaded sms is so much more organized and makes sense.
    We've been over this multiple times and I've commented ad nauseum about it in multiple threads. It is hard to comprehend how you could not know the issues many of us have with this bad code.

Without resurrecting all the past posts I've made, I think it suffices to say that you like the idea of turning sms into instant messaging and many of the rest of us don't.

No one says you can't keep your hacked sms/instant messaging feature. Jiust let the rest of us TURN IT OFF.

Now with that said, my text messaging has gone from hundreds of text messages a month to just a handful because I detest the format of this new dreaded threaded sms. I will not buy another BlackBerry with this poorly written OS code. If RIM wants to lose lots of customers, they can keep ignoring our cries to allow us to TURN THIS OFF and we'll slowly move away to other devices.

Once again, fine that you like it. I don't and many others don't. Allow us to TURN IT OFF.
    03-10-10 10:21 PM
    Bubbles is supposed to tie into BBM's messaging style
    LOL. Once again, why don't people actually use Instant Messaging for Instant Messaging rather than screwing up sms?
    03-10-10 10:24 PM
    i can vouch this. who wouldnt like all their messages from 1 person in the same spot instead of scrolling down the long list of the 90 people who text me i can look for the one person who im trying to text back and find everything that was said to me from them in 1 click. Threaded is the best sms kinda of like texting on a blackjack II which i missed when i went with a blackberry curve
    03-10-10 10:26 PM
    90 people
    And once again, they make programs for this mode of communication. It's called Instant Messaging. SMS was never designed to be an Instant Messaging application.
    03-10-10 10:45 PM
    LOL. Once again, why don't people actually use Instant Messaging for Instant Messaging rather than screwing up sms?
    How is it "screwing up sms" exactly?
    For christ's sakes it's just a message style! It's not like it's slowly killing you that it now has OMG Colour, or OMG rounded edges.

For one, the colour is an ingenious idea. It separates your messages from another person's messages so that it's clear who sent who a message. The rounded corners do nothing but make it more aesthetically pleasing, and can be taken off.
    03-10-10 10:50 PM
    And once again, they make programs for this mode of communication. It's called Instant Messaging. SMS was never designed to be an Instant Messaging application.
    ok so it wasnt designed to be an instant messaging application. but doesnt grouping all sms's from one person into one thread make the most sense? what if this forum didnt have individual threads for us to post under and every new post just piled on top of one another instead of being categorized into threads?? and how is it "poorly written code"?

and SMS and IM are the same thing. you exchanging a conversation with another person. do you see something like AIM/AOL where theres one chat window and all of your buddys your talking to are in that one chat window, mixing and jumbling conversations? no. you have separate windows, each one for a different person.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 03-10-10 at 11:04 PM.
    03-10-10 11:02 PM
    For christ's sakes
    The objections many of us have have been well documented and there is no need to continue to rehash this through different threads. Many don't like threaded sms. Why is it your business if we don't? Do you force your friends to go with you to restaurants they don't like and eat food they find unflavorful just because you like some sort of particular food? My best friend hates sushi. I like it. We don't go to sushi restaurants because I know he doesn't like that type of food.

Many of us want the ability to TURN THIS OFF. Why is that so hard for you to accept that? No one is taking anything away from you ... we're just asking to use our technology tool in a manner that is best suited to our needs.

Why the rank intolerance?
    03-10-10 11:04 PM
    The objections many of us have have been well documented and there is no need to continue to rehash this through different threads. Many don't like threaded sms. Why is it your business if we don't? Do you force your friends to go with you to restaurants they don't like and eat food they find unflavorful just because you like some sort of particular food? My best friend hates sushi. I like it. We don't go to sushi restaurants because I know he doesn't like that type of food.

Many of us want the ability to TURN THIS OFF. Why is that so hard for you to accept that? No one is taking anything away from you ... we're just asking to use our technology tool in a manner that is best suited to our needs.

Why the rank intolerance?
    i can understand people would like some things turned off, i have no objection to that. but im just having trouble understanding why its so frowned upon. its simple, organized and easier to read. what exactly do you like/want regarding the old style. for you, what is its advantage.
    03-10-10 11:08 PM
    Everyone has a right to their opinion. Alot of people like it some people don't. No sense in getting all **** hurt because there's something about the phone that changed to make your life a little easier.

Some people like a cloud of mess to rumble thru it makes their life easier

Some people like for everything to be clutter free and in a certain place.

God i wish that everyone could be satisfied.

Blackberry i think was the only smartphone not using threaded messaging atleast all the smartphones i have used have had it. 1 message thread for the person you are talking to the whole conversation under their name. whats the big deal so u have 2 clicks instead of 1 to find what your looking for. and a lot less time scrolling down to see whats what how is this so bad

no one says exactly why they dont like it! simply becuz their not use to it? Everyone wants rim to catch up with the times? Their being out dated? but when they start doing the same thing other smartphones do oh gosh at the hissy fits being thrown If people arent willing to change with the smartphone that they have grown to love why would you want them to change anything at all just my opinion
    03-10-10 11:10 PM
    ok so it wasnt designed to be an instant messaging application.
    See my post to vladzaharia.

This stuff has been covered over and over. Please use the search function and review my previous posts on the topic. Nothing is going to change. I do NOT want threaded sms on my phone. And I certainly don't want the abortion RIM has designed and deployed in 5.0 which is just a mess.

If you like it, I'm glad. I don't. I detest it. I've explained why in previous threads.

Do you too force your friends to follow you to restaurants they don't like for dinner without respect for their wishes and preferences?

I, and others, want the ability to TURN THIS OFF. Why is it so hard to develop a little tolerance for others' preferences?
    03-10-10 11:10 PM
    If you don't like the appearance, but do like the concept, change the display to stripes. I find it so much cleaner and less jumbled.

I also don't understand the problem with Threaded SMS. The IM point is a silly one to me. It's based on the presumption that your convo's are all with smartphone holders.

The fair point is why not make it an Enable/Disable option? I guess that would keep everyone happy.
    I think RIM is surprised that anyone doesn't like it. (I am too.) They were listening to a vocal majority (at least it seems to me) that complained that BB's SMS was inferior to other platforms with Threaded SMS.

But hey, we all get our opinions and this forum to express them. In subjective matters such as these, nobody is wrong.
    (Wow that is waxing philosophical...)
    03-10-10 11:11 PM
    Also @ everyone, have you heard of the free app Qsms?

It's a tiny app that really speeds up sending SMS.
    It adds an icon that is basically a Compose SMS function.
    If your Home Screen Dialing is off, it also adds a Q shortcut to Compose SMS, which I love!

It's available here:
    berrycoder.com
    03-10-10 11:16 PM
    Doesn't matter if you're going to assume that SMS was never designed to be an IM application (I agree, by the way)...but in the past couple of years, it has become just that, an instant messaging platform. You can't just say "you are screwing up SMS by liking this format" when that's what everyone is doing. You can reject it as much as you want, but that doesn't change the reality of the current situation. Even my anti-texting friend got 400 texts to use since that's how a lot of people communicate now.

RIM, like any company, wants to make money. And threaded texting = money all around. Carriers make money from texting. I'm sure threaded texting sells phones, especially to the younger generation who communicate through texting. Just think about it, BlackBerry platform would have been labeled even more archaic if they did not catch up to the likes of Apple and Google.

I know I had a hard time texting in the old format with all the scrolling, finding a text from a certain person to reply to, no enter to send etc.. especially coming from a Treo and iPhone. But with the new format, it's pretty easy to hit 1000 or even more a month. I do hope it's going to be even further improved in the next OS version.

So since you are so adamant about the fact that this is your last BlackBerry since it doesn't have your preferred texting format, which phone would you go to? Palm? Threaded texting. iPhone? Threaded texting. Android? Threaded texting.

Looks like you are going to be moving to a dumb phone or a "feature" phone in the near future.
    03-10-10 11:16 PM
    "Threaded SMS sucks!"
    "Why does it suck? It's actually quite awesome."
    "No, turn it off! It sucks!"
    "Well, why does it suck?"
    "It sucks!"

I would like to hear your reasons for why you need the older version. Threaded SMS is here to stay by the way.
    03-10-10 11:21 PM
    vocal majority
    Funny to me the intolerance and the continual need for those who favor this threaded sms to believe they are in the majority. If one Googled this topic, they would find the Internet full of people who are not happy with threaded sms on BlackBerrys at all. Yet pro-threaded sms people post this canard all then time without a shread of support for the claim.

It was a vocal minority who rammed this through. Had RIM polled users, I suspect they would have found this idea did not carry wholesale currency of support.

And again, the intolerance is shocking. Why would anyone question giving anyone the ability to simply turn something OFF? I can't imagine people screaming that "call waiting" should be a mandatory feature and forced upon everyone to use without consideration of people's wishes.

Yes comarade, let us all walk in lockstep and let no one dissent and ask for a small feature functionality change. We can't have that under any circumstances.
    03-10-10 11:22 PM
    See my post to vladzaharia.

This stuff has been covered over and over. Please use the search function and review my previous posts on the topic. Nothing is going to change. I do NOT want threaded sms on my phone. And I certainly don't want the abortion RIM has designed and deployed in 5.0 which is just a mess.

I, and others, want the ability to TURN THIS OFF. Why is it so hard to develop a little tolerance for others' preferences?
    ive seen your many posts regarding this and moaning about other OS 5.0 woes. please dont tell me to use the search function, im well aquainted from other threads with complaining about things.

i just wanted "in a nutshell" what makes you want one over the other. i agree that people should be able to toggle back and forth between changes and updates. but hey, theres nothing we can do about it.
    03-10-10 11:22 PM
    when i had my iPhone that's one of the things i loved about it. that i didn't have to wade through tons of txts from other ppl to get to another convo i was having with someone else. i get my 9700 tomorrow and i can't wait for this feature personally.
    03-10-10 11:23 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD