I'm looking at getting my wife a S2 as she doesn't like other BB's (she currently uses a 8220). We are on T-Mobile here in the Twin Cities (MN) and wanted to know if anyone here has used a S2 on the TMO network here locally. I know 3G won't work on it, which isn't a big deal since she's not a big downloader.

How's the network coverage? Any weirdness to the phone at all? I'll be selling my 8900 and possibly her 8220 (it's pretty hacked) after we buy this one so I want to make sure this phone works for her.
    03-09-10 09:18 PM
    yeah it'll work great but if it breaks RIM will not warranty it. they want even fix it if you offer to pay. if you with tmo go with the iphone or the new HD2 them companies back there products.
    03-09-10 09:36 PM
    We will be sticking with BlackBerry. I own a company and we all have BlackBerry's. We utilize BBM and BBM groups a lot.

As far as warranty... I'm buying a used phone, unlocking it, and using it on a network it wasn't intended to be used on. Not really expecting them to stand behind it.
    03-09-10 09:45 PM
    well if it's the storm2 your not gonna find parts. i wouldn't mind paying to get mine fixed but rim want fix mine or sell me the parts to fix it. unlocking it doesn't do any damage to the phone. i think blackberrys are already on all the carriers. go with the 9700 you'll be covered if something goes wrong and you'll have a rock solid phone
    03-09-10 10:23 PM
    I've got the 9700 and I love it. My wife says it's "too manly" I even showed her TruSupplier.com, showing some of the things we could do with it - or even the 8900 I have.

I'm assuming parts will be available soon for the S2.

Anyone one else have experience using the S2 on TMO?
    03-09-10 10:26 PM
    I'm using a 9550 on tmo, and the only thing I miss is UMA. i thought I could enable it on the engineering screens, but that only works if the phone had UMA capability in the first place. the 9520 might have UMA if you get a canadian carrier unlocked one. but if you can't find that, the 9550 will work fine. there's no reason to pay the extra for a 9520 other than OS updates are easier to come by.
    03-10-10 08:20 AM
    I'm looking at getting my wife a S2 as she doesn't like other BB's (she currently uses a 8220). We are on T-Mobile here in the Twin Cities (MN) and wanted to know if anyone here has used a S2 on the TMO network here locally. I know 3G won't work on it, which isn't a big deal since she's not a big downloader.

How's the network coverage? Any weirdness to the phone at all? I'll be selling my 8900 and possibly her 8220 (it's pretty hacked) after we buy this one so I want to make sure this phone works for her.
    Yeah it'll work just fine.
    03-10-10 04:40 PM
    yeah it'll work great but if it breaks RIM will not warranty it. they want even fix it if you offer to pay. if you with tmo go with the iphone or the new HD2 them companies back there products.
    So if I buy a brand new S2 from my local verizon store and pay to have it unlocked somewhere else, won't Verizon cover it for 1yr or something?
    03-10-10 07:55 PM
    So if I buy a brand new S2 from my local verizon store and pay to have it unlocked somewhere else, won't Verizon cover it for 1yr or something?
    Nope, RIM would cover it.
    03-10-10 07:59 PM
    Nope, RIM would cover it.
    Oh, they will? Because the guy I quoted said RIM wouldn't.

Edit: I plan on buying a new S2, unlocking and using on ATT, fwiw.
    03-10-10 08:01 PM
    RIM will honor any warranty with proof of purchase. The carrier requires you to have a account with them for them to handle the warranty.
    03-10-10 08:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD