OS 5.0 is soo much better then the previous.

But now, i find myself leaving my blackberry at home, i used to take it with me, where ever i went.. Now i leave it home regularly.

From the slow dial pad, getting to the speakerphone.

To the sloooow camera.

To the worst browsing experience since winmo.

To the over all laggyness.

To the lack of quality apps.

To the mediorce media player.

To the chunky weight of the thing.

i forgot where i was going with this.

hmmmmmm
    03-09-10 05:32 PM
    OS 5.0 is soo much better then the previous.

But now, i find myself leaving my blackberry at home, i used to take it with me, where ever i went.. Now i leave it home regularly.

From the slow dial pad, getting to the speakerphone.

To the sloooow camera.

To the worst browsing experience since winmo.

To the over all laggyness.

To the lack of quality apps.

To the mediorce media player.

To the chunky weight of the thing.

i forgot where i was going with this.

hmmmmmm
    I am awaiting the new batch of HTC Android phones. I have had it with the Storm for the reasons you list above. It is really frustrating when you want to make a quick phone call and the device is so laggy that it takes its sweet time opening the phone app. It is just inconsistent, sometimes slow, sometimes slower.

Not to mention that it is accepted around here as the norm that you need to reboot twice a day, once a day, every other day. That's crazy and signs of shoddy software. I can't believe that people aren't furious about that. At so many inopportune times I get the message from Quickpull that the app memory has dropped below 20mb and it's time to reboot.

And of course we can't forget that there is an extra link in the chain that is sometimes that weak link - RIM. How often do we hear of data outages??? Those aren't caused by our providers, they are problems at RIM. So not only do we have to worry about the device and the provider/reception, we also can't get any email if there is a problem at RIM.

Edit - you mentioned the chunky weight. I disagree as I feel like this is a high quality piece of equipment. It feels solid and well made to me. I just think that the software department at RIM doesn't know what they are doing. Perhaps they should woo and hire some Apple and Google development people.
    03-09-10 05:43 PM
    If Apple is successful with that lawsuit the HTC/andriod craze will soon come to an end as well. With microsoft being the only company not about to to be forced by federal order to pull all their devices off the shelf, that new win7 series is starting to look real good to me. I for one would seriously not mind the HTC hd2 with win7.
    03-09-10 06:49 PM
    RIM burned alot of people with the S1. Can they recover? Depends on whats meant by that. Over all RIM hasnt lost a step.Theyre still selling phones by the boatload. Touchscreen wise ,well thats where they gonna have problems gaining peoples trust again. I personally wont buy another RIM touch phone. S2 made no improvements at all in my eyes(sorry wifi and double the mem dont cut it).
    If they really get serioius about putting together a true touch OS then maybe but i think its too late. Again people dont like getting burned twice so its going to be tough .
    03-09-10 08:44 PM
    The typing is a little slow, but I like the phone overall. I believe that Hese devices (at least the S2) is a good phone. Sure RIM could have done better, but any device can be better than the next.

I thoroughly enjoy my Storm and BB devices in general.
    03-09-10 09:27 PM
    I'm not experiencing any of those problems. Have you updated to the latest OS and installed Tanks hybrid? If not give it a try. Night and Day difference. No lag in typing and the browser is pretty darn fast.
    03-09-10 10:23 PM
    I'm not experiencing any of those problems. Have you updated to the latest OS and installed Tanks hybrid? If not give it a try. Night and Day difference. No lag in typing and the browser is pretty darn fast.
    Glad you're not having any trouble. But the point is one should not have to install a hybrid, or even a leak, to have a reliable phone that works without issues.

Right after I post this, somebody will post something like "Yeah, but every phone has its issues." or, "No phone is perfect."

Whatever. The Storm has been an epic fail for anyone that is not tech savvy or reads forums like these.
    I didn't see anything in the instruction manual that said, "When you experience problems with your Blackberry device, become a member of the Crackberry.com forums and learn how to hack your phone so you can install unapproved leaks and hybrid operating systems."

Nope, didn't read that anywhere.
    03-09-10 10:32 PM
    Glad you're not having any trouble. But the point is one should not have to install a hybrid, or even a leak, to have a reliable phone that works without issues.

Right after I post this, somebody will post something like "Yeah, but every phone has its issues." or, "No phone is perfect."

Whatever. The Storm has been an epic fail for anyone that is not tech savvy or reads forums like these.
    I didn't see anything in the instruction manual that said, "When you experience problems with your Blackberry device, become a member of the Crackberry.com forums and learn how to hack your phone so you can install unapproved leaks and hybrid operating systems."

Nope, didn't read that anywhere.
    so you wouldnt root your droid or jailbreak the iphone? Thats BS and you know it!! its the same thing. You all want the most out of the phone
    03-09-10 10:37 PM
    wow.

I love all the threads talking about how the Storm ruined RIM and damaged their reputation, and it's a terrible phone.

Problem is, the vast majority of people I've talked to who have a storm LOVE it - the phone had some issues, but it's an excellent device... I only plan on having mine for 2 years, but it's been a very good device so far, even with the little issues that crop up with new OS releases - when I replace it next January, I'll miss it.

Could they have done better?

Of course - the Storm 2 is a lot better... and if the rumours about the Storm 3 are correct (smaller, much faster, rapid boot), it's improving at a very rapid pace, far faster than that apple device everyone brags about.

Anyone who expects gen 1 of a new device to be perfect from the start is a a fool... who should probably stick with a dumb phone.
    03-09-10 10:50 PM
    It sounds like you would rather complain than spend 30 minutes to fix all of your issues. You took the time to complain on Crackberry and for what purpose? Now use Crackberry to fix your phone. Good luck with whatever phone you end up with.
    03-09-10 10:56 PM
    Right after they dig out of the outage hole, the browser hole, and the OS hole.
    Don't worry, they really aren't arrogant, complacent or lazy. They'll get around to it.
    03-09-10 11:11 PM
    I'll agree, a browser update is long overdue. I think alot will change for BB when it is released. Not that they need to... they've been market leaders consistently for several years.
    03-09-10 11:24 PM
    I'll agree, a browser update is long overdue. I think alot will change for BB when it is released. Not that they need to... they've been market leaders consistently for several years.
    Your correct except were talking just touch here. Yea RIM is head and shoulders above everyone else non touch wise but in the touch filed they really messed up. New web kit browser? Ok fine but if its implemented in the current OS then no way it does well. Current software will kill it. I know its a repeated arguement but RIM has to rebuild from the ground up with a true touch OS to make it right. Anything else will result in more ill will i feel. Yes the S1 was a decent device, i still have mine for now but the backlash of bs that followed after its release was all of RIM's doing. They couldve fixed it but didnt. Or maybe they couldnt fix it in which case why is there such a belief that they will?
    Last edited by strmtrooper; 03-10-10 at 12:48 AM.
    03-10-10 12:42 AM
    wow.

I love all the threads talking about how the Storm ruined RIM and damaged their reputation, and it's a terrible phone.

Problem is, the vast majority of people I've talked to who have a storm LOVE it - the phone had some issues, but it's an excellent device... I only plan on having mine for 2 years, but it's been a very good device so far, even with the little issues that crop up with new OS releases - when I replace it next January, I'll miss it.

Could they have done better?

Of course - the Storm 2 is a lot better... and if the rumours about the Storm 3 are correct (smaller, much faster, rapid boot), it's improving at a very rapid pace, far faster than that apple device everyone brags about.

Anyone who expects gen 1 of a new device to be perfect from the start is a a fool... who should probably stick with a dumb phone.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    I love my storm. Never had any major problems and the little ones I did have were my fault. BBM outage? Calm down. How many phones have there own networked device to device Instant Messenger? **** happens.
    Security? I've got all the videos of me and a few of your moms on mine....device pin....autolock. When was the last time a blackberry was hacked?
    Reboots??...quickpull....set to reset at 4AM....while I'm asleep. Every night.
    I really don't understand how so many people have so many problems.
    And never ever buy the first shipment of a brand new anything....you're basically just a tester/sucker lol
    Last edited by jusdis; 03-10-10 at 01:52 AM.
    03-10-10 01:42 AM
    If Apple is successful with that lawsuit the HTC/andriod craze will soon come to an end as well. With microsoft being the only company not about to to be forced by federal order to pull all their devices off the shelf, that new win7 series is starting to look real good to me. I for one would seriously not mind the HTC hd2 with win7.
    That lawsuit is certainly a thorn in everyone's side, but I don't know how successful Apple will be. Isn't part of it about the touchscreen? The new HTC phones have completely different display technology from Apple and since the screen is half of touch+screen, I don't know how Apple can win this.
    03-10-10 09:07 AM
    I am on 419, and while each rev has gotten better, it still isn't where it needs to be. I have an iPod Touch, and assuming the iPhone is as snappy as the Touch, RIM has a lot of homework to do. Rather RIM hasn't even gotten the assignment yet, that's how far behind they are in the UI dept.
    03-10-10 09:08 AM
    I still say when RIM released the S1 they were not out to have a phone like the iPhone. They release the S1 so they would have a touch version of there current phones. It was the consumer that was expecting an iPhone type phone out of the S1.

I've read lot of threads from people stating problems they are having. I still think most of them are operator error. I've had my S1 now for a year and a half and have not experienced a quater of the issue I read about. Yeah, more app memory would have been nice but over all the S1 is a nice phone for what RIM (not the consumer) intended it to be.
    03-10-10 09:23 AM
    I still say when RIM released the S1 they were not out to have a phone like the iPhone. They release the S1 so they would have a touch version of there current phones. It was the consumer that was expecting an iPhone type phone out of the S1.

I've read lot of threads from people stating problems they are having. I still think most of them are operator error. I've had my S1 now for a year and a half and have not experienced a quater of the issue I read about. Yeah, more app memory would have been nice but over all the S1 is a nice phone for what RIM (not the consumer) intended it to be.
    I wasn't expecting a Blackberry iPhone. I was expecting a responsive experience that was relatively bug free. I moved up from an 8830 which operated much more smoothly. I actually like the click touchscreen for typing and prefer it to typing on my iPod Touch. But the iPod isn't laggy. Try using one, you will see that it is much more responsive than the Blackberry.
    03-10-10 09:30 AM
    I am on 419, and while each rev has gotten better, it still isn't where it needs to be. I have an iPod Touch, and assuming the iPhone is as snappy as the Touch, RIM has a lot of homework to do. Rather RIM hasn't even gotten the assignment yet, that's how far behind they are in the UI dept.
    Since we are in the OS Discussion thread, I will suggest that you go one step further and install Tanks Hybrid Act 2 over .419. You won't know what the difference is until you try it.
    03-10-10 09:31 AM
    Since we are in the OS Discussion thread, I will suggest that you go one step further and install Tanks Hybrid Act 2 over .419. You won't know what the difference is until you try it.
    That line is repeated every time there is a new rev followed by a corresponding hybrid. There will be a new leak soon enough, and another hybrid which will be purported to be even better.
    03-10-10 09:35 AM
    I for one am in love with the SureType touch screen. I like having to click to use it! Capacitive touchscreens drive me nuts because iud I accidentally touch the wrong button then BAM! I have to hit delete and retype the correct word. I'm a technician and I love doing all different kinds of hacks and hybrids to my phones! I bought the S1 knowing it was the first generation and am enjoying watching all the progress! Go STORM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 09:45 AM
    wow.

Problem is, the vast majority of people I've talked to who have a storm LOVE it - the phone had some issues, but it's an excellent device...
    I know exactly two people besides me who tried the Storm. The first one returned it, went back to his 8703, and now has the Tour and loves it. He couldn't stand the Storm.

The other is also loving the Tour. Every time he sees me, he says that the Storm is the biggest POS ever invented. I guess we know where he stands.

I have spent enough time defending it to them, telling them that it is much better now with the new OS.
    03-10-10 10:30 AM
    That line is repeated every time there is a new rev followed by a corresponding hybrid. There will be a new leak soon enough, and another hybrid which will be purported to be even better.
    Funny part is most that still use hybrids dont have a clue what they do. Most wont accept the fact that if your still using the .419 sfi file then your still on .419 no matter how much you play with the java folders. You have not in anyway made your OS any different. Performance has not changed at all. Yes you might see a 3g symbol or some other form of minor UI tweak but as far as speeding up your phone and things of that nature......zip, nadda, not happening. But again most wont/dont want to believe it. Back in the 4.7 days hybrids really did make a difference because of how the sfi was constructed. Since 5.0's inception things have changed. Most hybrid builders themselves have said that repeatedly. But i guess people are addicted to the placebo affect, what can ya do? Just let them be.
    03-10-10 10:32 AM

Exactly. And even with leak after leak, it still has lots of problems.
    03-10-10 10:33 AM
    I joke about going to an Android phone, BUT I am going to give the Bold 2 (or whatever they call it) a serious look before I get my next phone. It will either be a Storm3 or a Bold2 most likely. A lot depends thou on this new browser and how backwardly compatible it is, I might even end up keeping my S2, and hold out for my next NE2, but knowing me, I'll probably re-up at my annual.
    03-10-10 10:36 AM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD