This is my first Blackberry device, I have had smartphones for the past few years with little problems. This morning when I picked my phone off the night stand, it felt like it was 200 degrees, I couldnt even hold it..it was so hot. I could smell the plastic melting. The battery life also went from fully charged to nothing in a matter of minutes. Now i've only had it for 2 1/2 months. So I took it to the Verizon store, they said they knew nothing about this, so they put a new battery in it, and it still overheated. Well I live in NC, and according to them, the closest store that has curves is Tenn. So they will have to overnight one to me. Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem with the new Curves? I read all the threads about all the other models having the same issue. They really need to fix this problem!!!
    03-09-10 12:05 PM
    Yes, it happened to me when my 8530 was a month old. I was at work and I noticed the network icon going crazy and when I picked the phone up, it was quite warm. By the next few hours, the phone was D.O.A. Verizon sent me a new one and I also went into a retail store and got a new battery and so far the new one has been absolutely fine. Go figure! Good luck
    03-11-10 06:00 PM
    BTW, this is the first time in my life that I've ever had to send a device back because of a problem and this is my 3rd Berry and we are talking since 1989. I guess I've just been lucky all of these years. Now if this new one nukes on me, I might be a tad bit mad at VZ/RIM.
    03-11-10 06:08 PM
    I wonder if it's only 8530 because I have a 8520 for almost 3 months & this hasn't happen...yet.
    03-11-10 10:45 PM
    It can happen to any device. They have sold MILLIONS of these so a few that are defective is pretty much a given. This is what warranties are for. People usually only post on forums when they have a problem, not when things are running smoothly. So these problems are NOT the norm. Good luck to the poster, I hope you get it worked out!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 12:54 AM
    This is my first BB as well, and mine is doing the same thing. Although it is not getting so hot I can't handle it, but I do notice that it gets warm to the touch all the time and then see the battery is quickly draining. For example, on 3/11/10, I fully charged my 8530 at 8pm w/it turned off, turned it back on when finished, and by midnight the battery was completely dead. I also had the WiFi and all apps turned off, backlight turned way down, and everything else I could do to reserve battery power, but didn't work. Occasionally when I do a battery pull it temporarily fixes the problem, but not everytime. I've been hearing that this is quite a common problem with the new curves, as one of my coworkers has the 8520 and hers did the same thing. She said she took it back into Tmobile, replaced the battery and has not had problems since then. So now I'm wondering if BB has a batch of defective batteries? And oh, I upgraded to the new OS 5.0 as well, and am still having battery drainage issues. Going to contact store I bought through to request new battery today, because I've had enough of this s**t.
    03-12-10 09:39 AM
    Yeah I had the same thing happen to my 8530 just this week after only having it about a month. I took it back to Sprint and they couldn't figure out what was causing it, so they just gave me a replacement. But, it was the same exact symptoms.
    03-12-10 06:40 PM
    Got my Blackberry curve 8530 a month ago and mine had a couple problems with battery life and just this morning it was blazing hot so not even thinking twice i get on my way. I get to my destination and shut it off, now it wont turn back on what do i do? go to the store and get a new battery? get new phone? and if so do i have to pay for the new phone or battery for verizon? ugh!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-25-10 08:57 AM
    I wonder if it's only 8530 because I have a 8520 for almost 3 months & this hasn't happen...yet.
    Same here I've had my 8520 for 3 months and going on my fourth, I haven't had this problem either

03-25-10 11:57 AM
    My 8530 Curve overheated and "fried the phone" (that's what the Verizon guy said ). So they gave me a new one seeing as I'd only had it about a month. Now this morning, two months later, my replacement phone is doing the same thing. I've turned it off and took the battery out hoping it lasts long enough to get home so I can sync all my contacts to my computer! Then it's back to the Verizon store for another new phone. Glad I've got the warranty! This is my first experience with a blackberry, and other than this issue I love it. Though I'm hoping I can stop being the "lucky one" who has to keep dealing with overheating phones!
    03-30-10 11:07 AM
    I have been having same issue I got my curve 8530 in January and 2 days later it overheated and fried the phone i thought it was because i had downloaded a app. from app. world because it happened right after i downloaded the app. So the store gave me a new phone and it was fine until 3 months later the same thing happened and i had to wait 2 days for a replacement phone to be sent to me. I got replacement phone 2 weeks ago and yest. my replacement phone just did same thing!!!! This is the 3 phone in a row since January that has overheated!! I love the phone and the fact it doesnt have a trackball but i cant keep going through not knowing if I am going to have a working phone from day to day!!
    04-06-10 08:28 AM
    The Verizon store lied to you I have Sprint but a good friend of mines just experienced the same issue except she was charging her blackberry on the way into work when the phone overheated and fried her battery. I gave her my spare battery to use and the phone powered up but within a couple minutes it sucked a fully charged battery to NOTHING. She had her phone about a month but she stated that when she took hers in this store stated they'd been having problems with the 8530 Blackberry. My friend's blackberry was the lighter lavender purple one. I have the same exact phone with Sprint except mines is dark purple, it's gotten warm but never hot I'd say and the battery appears to be fine but will drain if you do a lot of texting, facebooking, and bbm-ing like me which is expected so I travel with my spare battery and my wall plug to juice myself whenever necessary other than that only down falls about the 8530 is that it lacks a flash for the camera.
    04-06-10 09:58 AM
    I woke up this morning and my 8530 was extremely hot also. Battery life seems ok so far. Only had mine a week. I haven't removed the plastic screen cover yet and it was bubbled up. If it happens again looks like I will be making a trip to the sprint store

04-07-10 06:48 AM
    Sounds like the CPU is stuck in a loop or something is just making a ton of resistance in a circuit and its coming out as heat. My S1 would get hot if you charged it and did ANY thing else at the same time. Luckly my 8530 is cool as a cucumber (assuming said vegetable is cold.)
    04-07-10 05:04 PM
    I've had my 8530 since December with no over heating problems so far.
    (knocking on wood, as I type)
    04-07-10 06:33 PM
    Yeah its any device... You can find reports of faulty phones overheating on any model of any phone out there...

04-07-10 06:37 PM
    Bought the 8530 in Dec for my girlfriend and in March we had to get her another one becuase it got so hot that you couldnt hold it and it completely killed the battery. Verizon sent us out a replacement one and we thought all was good until just last week we had the same problem. So weve had 2 do this. All the verizon reps Ive talked to said they have never heard of this problem.
    04-07-10 10:47 PM
    My mom and I just bought the 8530 on Monday. I hope this doesn't happen to our phones. Mainly cuz we opted not to pay the $8/mo for the warranty. Isn't there a one-year limited warranty tho?
    04-07-10 11:58 PM
    Yeah RIM has a 1 year warranty

04-08-10 01:57 AM
    My mom and I just bought the 8530 on Monday. I hope this doesn't happen to our phones. Mainly cuz we opted not to pay the $8/mo for the warranty. Isn't there a one-year limited warranty tho?
    Yes. They come with a 1 year warranty so you wont have to claim it on the insurance. I sure hope it doesnt happen to the third one.
    04-08-10 05:38 PM
    Yes. They come with a 1 year warranty so you wont have to claim it on the insurance. I sure hope it doesnt happen to the third one.
    That's good to hear. I'd hope RIM would fix the overheating problem with the latest OS update. *crosses fingers*
    04-09-10 03:39 PM
    That's good to hear. I'd hope RIM would fix the overheating problem with the latest OS update. *crosses fingers*

I dont think its OS related at all. It happened on several different operating systems so I assume it must be hardware.
    04-09-10 07:16 PM
    I have only had my 8530/5.0.0.508 for a week but I"ll keep an eye out for this problem. Thanks

04-09-10 09:51 PM
    I dont think its OS related at all. It happened on several different operating systems so I assume it must be hardware.
    Ugh. I'll die if it happens to my phone. With my luck, if it happened, verizon would refuse to give me a new one.
    I have only had my 8530/5.0.0.508 for a week but I"ll keep an eye out for this problem. Thanks

Same. I'm going to be very cautious for the next month. (supposedly it happens within a month of purchase.)
    vegasizsik likes this.
    04-09-10 11:28 PM
    Mine did this for the first time yesterday and I was shocked at how hot the phone got. It didn't want to work, just barely but very slowly. Then the battery died a couple of hours later and my battery has last me all day. So far today its okay, but if this continues I will complain until they give me the new 9650. Too bad it doesn't come in purple. :"(
    04-14-10 11:50 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD