Someone stole my Curve the other day. I had it deactivated by T-Mo. If I send a PIN message to the stolen phone (pin 20797366) I get a check mark showing the message went through. Does this mean that the thief is using it with a new SIM card? Grrrrr!
    03-08-10 12:27 AM
    yes ... and the new sim card has data plan also
    does it have a D next to the checkmark?
    03-08-10 12:37 AM
    Does it show a "D" (delivered) or an "R" (received) left of the check mark? If it doesn't, it only shows sent.
    Last edited by dilipc; 03-08-10 at 12:46 AM. Reason: edit: R = read
    03-08-10 12:38 AM
    nooooooooooooooo

the checkmark means the message was delivered to RIM's servers. unless it shows a "D" for delivered to the handset, it has not gone to the device.

picture it like you mailing a package to a non existant address. UPS will notify you they have received your package for delivery at their facility (the check mark). however, the address doesnt exist when they try to deliver it, so it remains undelivered.

thats whats basically happening to your phone. it can still be used as a regular phone (calls, SMS etc) but it will no longer be able to support a BIS data plan since (hopefully) the PIN has been reported to RIM as stolen and cannot be activated on their system anymore.
    03-08-10 12:43 AM
    1) US GSM carriers do not block IMEIs or PINs.

2) I may be wrong on this but I believe the "D" and "R" only appear if
    the message was sent to someone on the same carrier.
    03-08-10 12:45 AM
    1) US GSM carriers do not block IMEIs or PINs.

2) I may be wrong on this but I believe the "D" and "R" only appear if
    the message was sent to someone on the same carrier.
    1.) US GSM carriers do not blacklist IMEI's like Europe, but i believe they do report lost/stolen PIN's to RIM. in return, the PIN gets blacklisted from their end making it impossible for BIS/BES data to work.

2.) the "D" and "R" absolutely work cross carrier for BBM. its not a carrier dependant feature, its a BB data/BBM feature. so it will show anytime a message is delivered or read, regarless of carrier or device.

what you may be thinking of are MMS's. if i send an MMS to another person on my carrier (at&t) i will see a "D" or "R" when it was delivered and read by my friends phone. it will not show for friends i send an MMS to who have verizon or t-mobile. this seems to be a carrier feature.
    03-08-10 12:51 AM
    I was told my T-Mo they have no way to blacklist the PIN or IMEI until they receive a letter to their legal department that I need to send with the police report number. (Sending that in the morning). I tried to post a link to my previous thread about this, but links won't post until I post more stuff to the forums, apparently.

I don't see a letter after the checkmark. But I'm on the new phone, so I'm not sure what a successful PIN sent should look like...I don't really use messager anyway.
    03-08-10 01:05 AM
    I was told my T-Mo they have no way to blacklist the PIN or IMEI until they receive a letter to their legal department that I need to send with the police report number. (Sending that in the morning). I tried to post a link to my previous thread about this, but links won't post until I post more stuff to the forums, apparently.

I don't see a letter after the checkmark. But I'm on the new phone, so I'm not sure what a successful PIN sent should look like...I don't really use messager anyway.
    successful PIN/BBM messages will show a "D". however, since you removed your BIS plan from association with that PIN, it will not go through.

just follow their directions and keep all documentation. if the phone turns up, you are the only person who can contact RIM to reinstate the PIN.
    03-08-10 01:07 AM
    2.) the "D" and "R" absolutely work cross carrier for BBM. its not a carrier dependant feature, its a BB data/BBM feature. so it will show anytime a message is delivered or read, regarless of carrier or device.

what you may be thinking of are MMS's. if i send an MMS to another person on my carrier (at&t) i will see a "D" or "R" when it was delivered and read by my friends phone. it will not show for friends i send an MMS to who have verizon or t-mobile. this seems to be a carrier feature.
    Odd because I never see the "D" or "R" unless in a convo with someone on AT&T

I can't speak to SMS/MMS as my disdain for both are well known and I almost
    never send them and almost always delete any I get, unread, unless
    they are from two people.
    03-08-10 01:09 AM
    Odd because I never see the "D" or "R" unless in a convo with someone on AT&T<snip>
    I've seen both D and R in PIN messages sent across many service providers here in India. FYI.
    03-08-10 01:14 AM
    Odd because I never see the "D" or "R" unless in a convo with someone on AT&T

I can't speak to SMS/MMS as my disdain for both are well known and I almost
    never send them and almost always delete any I get, unread, unless
    they are from two people.
    yea now thats just really weird. i always get a "D" and "R" no matter who the carrier is.
    03-08-10 01:19 AM
    yea now thats just really weird. i always get a "D" and "R" no matter who the carrier is.
    Same here that is really strange
    03-08-10 01:22 AM
    Hey, you know if weird is going to happen, it's going to happen on my phone
    03-08-10 01:29 AM

so the PIN will be blocked by T-Mobile only but can still be used with other carriers?

This is a bit off-topic, but did you get the phone directly from T-Mobile? It's because recently I just won a Storm 2 (by Verizon) from an auction site and I just sold it on eBay. But then the buyer reported that the phone can't be turned on + and some other BS, so eBay asked the buyer to return the phone to me and I have to give a full refund to him. However, I just tried sending a PIN message to that phone and it was Delivered.
    03-08-10 01:41 AM
    so the PIN will be blocked by T-Mobile only but can still be used with other carriers?
    no. the PIN will be blocked by RIM, not t-mobile. no matter which carrier its attempted to be used on, it will not work.
    03-08-10 01:44 AM
    No more then likely hopefully the IMEI will be blocked from T-mobile but will still be able to be used on another GSM carrier as a regular phone. As for the pin if that's blocked by RIM, you won't get BIS/BES ever.
    03-08-10 01:45 AM
    No more then likely hopefully the IMEI will be blocked from T-mobile but will still be able to be used on another GSM carrier as a regular phone. As for the pin if that's blocked by RIM, you won't get BIS/BES ever.
    the US carriers do not block IMEI's to prevent stolen phones from being used. someone will be able to put their SIM card into a stolen phone and use it for voice, SMS and basic non BIS data. whether or not they keep it flagged as a stolen IMEI, is something i dont know. if they see a stolen IMEI being used on another account, they may flag it and have their legal dept follow up with it or forward it to a local police dept, but i doubt they would bother.
    03-08-10 01:48 AM

This is a bit off-topic, but did you get the phone directly from T-Mobile
    Apparently. Carriers don't care who really owns the phone, as long as they will pay for the service. There's no incentive for them to protect customers.

Yep. Bought from T-Mo..."free" with contract deal two years ago.
    03-08-10 01:50 AM
    the US carriers do not block IMEI's to prevent stolen phones from being used. someone will be able to put their SIM card into a stolen phone and use it for voice, SMS and basic non BIS data. whether or not they keep it flagged as a stolen IMEI, is something i dont know. if they see a stolen IMEI being used on another account, they may flag it and have their legal dept follow up with it or forward it to a local police dept, but i doubt they would bother.
    Exactly I agree I was just going based on what the OP was saying T-mobile told him. If anything OP I think T-mobile will block or request RIM to block the pin. But I don't think they really can or will do anything with regards to the IMEI.
    03-08-10 01:52 AM
    T-Mo said to send a request letter with the police report number to their legal dept to have the IMEI blacklisted.
    03-08-10 01:54 AM
    Exactly I agree I was just going based on what the OP was saying T-mobile told him. If anything OP I think T-mobile will block or request RIM to block the pin. But I don't think they really can or will do anything with regards to the IMEI.
    there are no laws regarding the blocking of IMEI's but there are for receiving stolen property. he needs to ask tmobile what they will do in the even someone does use it on their account. im sure it will be flagged and they will be able to see it was a previously stolen phone. but theres no way for them to prevent it accessing the network, i think. if they follow up with lost/stolen devices that become active again is a big question he needs to ask tmobile when sending them the paperwork they need.
    03-08-10 01:55 AM
    I (she) will ask them just that in the letter I'm sending.
    03-08-10 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD