I bought a brand new tour from sprint several weeks ago, but it would freeze up so i exchanged it for another one. My second tour had misaligned screen. I exchanged it again. The third one had track ball problems. My fourth had a very very loose battery door. I exchanged again for my fifth tour. The screen on the fifth one would ripple everything i press any of the top buttons.

I FINALLY GAVE UP. It's a shame that I had to go through 5 diffirent tours and still have the quality issues on every single one of them.

I was so frustrated and tired of driving to a sprint store every other day to have my phone exchanged. So I switched over to At&T and got an Iphone 3gs. This is the best decision in my life. Plus I get 15% discount from my work on att. I got a perfect iphone on my first try, now i never have to worry about misaligned screen, bad trackballs or anything else. Now that's a build quality. Every single edge on this thing is perfect.

Anyway , just wanted to share my story with you guys, I hope it will be useful for any of you , who is thinking of getting a new tour.

BTW, my fourth and fifth tour's were ordered online, while the first 3 in store, so it's not just just a "bad batch"
    03-07-10 06:41 PM
    Ouch thats Horrible, But thats Sprint.

Should have gotten a BB 9700 (Bold2) on ATT, Im sorry you went to an Iphone , I sold ATT for 3 Yrs and its overall a Horrible Physical Phone, Love the Browser tho on it i think thats the ONLY Benefit to having an Iphone right now is that Browser.

Remember the 3Gs has an Operating Temp of 95 Degrees and any Hotter than that and its a safety Hazard !!!!
    03-07-10 06:59 PM
    I just went to an iPhone from a Storm2 and I love it. I still like BlackBerries and will never bash them but for me the iPhone is a good choice. I still like to hang out on the Crackberry site, though, because I haven't found an iPhone site that is nearly as good!
    03-07-10 07:05 PM
    I'll be making the switch after Verizon drops the N1. Nothing can touch BB email capabilities or keyboards but everything else has let me down (and some things were just unacceptable like my phone freezing for 30+ seconds at least twice a day with only 5 apps installed or BIS failing numerous times). The Tour let me down

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 07:12 PM
    I'll be making the switch after Verizon drops the N1. Nothing can touch BB email capabilities or keyboards but everything else has let me down (and some things were just unacceptable like my phone freezing for 30+ seconds at least twice a day with only 5 apps installed or BIS failing numerous times). The Tour let me down

I am not saying that Iphone has a better email capabilities, but you can get push email on iphone too, just for 4.99 a month, on Email Hosting Services | Pick Up Your Email | mail2web.com.
    Or you can use google's free exchange server for pushing email, contacts and calendar
    03-07-10 07:16 PM
    So I switched over to At&T and got an Iphone 3gs. This is the best decision in my life.
    You may say that now, but wont be when you start getting all the dropped calls on att...
    03-07-10 07:27 PM
    I am not saying that Iphone has a better email capabilities, but you can get push email on iphone too, just for 4.99 a month, on Email Hosting Services | Pick Up Your Email | mail2web.com.
    Or you can use google's free exchange server for pushing email, contacts and calendar
    Oh... I know you weren't saying the iPhone did. Every time I say that I'm leaving BB someone always says you can't find a better emailing phone (and I agree) but I want something that has apps, has a decent media player, and browses the web (ie the iPhone, Droid, N1, etc).

03-07-10 07:28 PM
    nothing wrong with the choice of 3gs. its a great phone and a breeze to sync all your everything.

i went from tour > hero > tour and both tours were great and no problems. guess its hit and miss with there phones.

i still have my att line, so ill be gearing up for the 4th gen iphone

iphone for personal
    tour for business

works well
    03-07-10 08:23 PM
    The iPhone is light years ahead of the Tour (I own both). It also has free push email and I've never dropped a call. Yes the browser is great but so are the media (untouchable when you also have a Mac and MobileMe) and all of the many useful apps.

03-07-10 09:20 PM
    Bummer! I have had my tour since November and never had one problem (knock on wood). It's the best phone i've ever had, but then again not all phones will work for everyone. I have an iPod touch and I love it, so im sure the iPhone would be nice to have. I may in time get one for personal use and keep my Berry for work. Enjoy the iPhone and sorry to hear about the Tour!
    03-07-10 10:12 PM
    Ouch thats Horrible, But thats Sprint.
    You cant seriously expect anyone to believe this is a logical reason...
    03-07-10 11:04 PM
    I love my sexy Tour. Picked it up in November and have never had a single glitch. Got one for my wife on a bogo deal the same day and she is still kissing me over it

I would NEVER downgrade to an iPhone!

03-07-10 11:41 PM
    Are you in the army, that's a question for the op of course or are you in another military or government branch

03-07-10 11:45 PM
    Yup i feel ya i might be forced to switch to the darkside or just go to a droid and i love my blackberry tour.all because i cant get ,y itunes to sync with the media synec i have been trying for weeks to get it to work so i might just switch to either the moment or a iphone.
    03-07-10 11:47 PM
    The moment in my opinion has the best android keyboard, but the battery on that thing is even worse then my old iphone 2G

03-07-10 11:49 PM
    That's why Sprint (And Verizon, and ATT and Cricket) Suck. LoL

Tmobile FTW
    03-07-10 11:55 PM
    The Tour is my fourth model Blackberry I have owned I started with an old blue thumb wheel 7900 series. The Tour is the only Blackberry I have had to replace. I am going to be looking for a new smartphone after this. I wanted to love it like I did all my other Blackberries but it just isn't very good...
    03-07-10 11:56 PM
    The iPhone is light years ahead of the Tour (I own both). It also has free push email and I've never dropped a call. Yes the browser is great but so are the media (untouchable when you also have a Mac and MobileMe) and all of the many useful apps.

Never? Really? You must never use your phone or you are the most lucky person on planet Earth.
    Last edited by RideMadone; 03-08-10 at 09:26 AM.
    03-07-10 11:59 PM
    I have dropped my 8830WE and 7900 countless times. I got my 8830WE soaked jet skiing and it still worked perfectly...after it dried out. I drop my Tour once and it is broken.
    Last edited by Riva; 03-08-10 at 12:05 AM.
    03-08-10 12:01 AM
    LOL - I'm not that lucky...

I find that the dropped call syndrome is systematic of any GSM carrier. The signal is either "on" or "off" whereas CDMA quality will degrade as opposed to cutting out. I guess I am just not usually on the phone when I drive out of the coverage area.

I do rely on the Tour and VZW in the event that I am in a very rural area, but to say that the iPhone constantly drops calls is misleading. I use mine in NYC all the time as well.

Never? Really? You must never use your phone or you are the most luck person on planet Earth.
    03-08-10 12:04 AM
    You cant seriously expect anyone to believe this is a logical reason...
    Exactly.. bought mine Oct. 4 never problem one and still on the first one, plus I can afford to pay the monthly bill.....LOL.
    03-08-10 06:35 AM
    That's why Sprint (And Verizon, and ATT and Cricket) Suck. LoL

Tmobile FTW

What does the carrier have to do with RIM's quality,,, do you think RIM sends different quality phones to different carriers?? LOL
    03-08-10 06:38 AM
    In many cases the problems that the OP experienced are inherently not going to be on the iPhone. For instance, there's no battery door that can be loose (which also means that you can't change the battery -- ditto with the memory card). And there's no trackball that can stick on the iPhone. And the screen is meant to be touched, so there's no issue with screen ripple.

I haven't had any problems with my Tour and there's no way that I would give it up for the iPhone. That said, that's not to say that there are advantages to each device.

I have the best of both worlds, so to speak. I have a Tour and an iPod Touch. I much prefer the Tour for any business related things like e-mail, calendar/schedule, tasks, etc. Having both devices really shows me how much the Tour stands out in this regard. I also much prefer the trackball and physical keyboard to the touchscreen (I also moved from the Storm to the Tour mainly for this very reason). I type on it quite a bit, and if you make a mistake, try using the touchscreen to try and position the cursor just where you need it to correct your typing. It's a pain in the ***! But the trackball allows me to go exactly where I need to go. I also like the ability to multi-task. Having both the Tour and the iPod Touch really made this stand out as a benefit of the Tour. I never realized how much I used it or depended on it before.

The iPod Touch, however, is better for the media, browser, and apps/games. I have all of my music and videos/movies loaded on my iPod Touch. Although I'd definitely would like the ability to change out the memory card should I need more capacity. I also use the iPod Touch to browse the internet when I have WiFi as I much prefer it to the Tour's browser and other 3rd party browsers like Bolt. I also don't even bother with games on the Tour. The Tour has a much better screen in terms of definition, but the iPod Touch really allows for better games and game play when incorporating the accelerometer.

Basically, for me then, it's the Tour for business and the iPod Touch for play.
    03-08-10 07:58 AM
    In many cases the problems that the OP experienced are inherently not going to be on the iPhone. For instance, there's no battery door that can be loose (which also means that you can't change the battery -- ditto with the memory card). And there's no trackball that can stick on the iPhone. And the screen is meant to be touched, so there's no issue with screen ripple.

I haven't had any problems with my Tour and there's no way that I would give it up for the iPhone. That said, that's not to say that there are advantages to each device.

I have the best of both worlds, so to speak. I have a Tour and an iPod Touch. I much prefer the Tour for any business related things like e-mail, calendar/schedule, tasks, etc. Having both devices really shows me how much the Tour stands out in this regard. I also much prefer the trackball and physical keyboard to the touchscreen (I also moved from the Storm to the Tour mainly for this very reason). I type on it quite a bit, and if you make a mistake,try using the touchscreen to try and position the cursor just where you need it to correct your typing. It's a pain in the ***! But the trackball allows me to go exactly where I need to go. I also like the ability to multi-task. Having both the Tour and the iPod Touch really made this stand out as a benefit of the Tour. I never realized how much I used it or depended on it before.

The iPod Touch, however, is better for the media, browser, and apps/games. I have all of my music and videos/movies loaded on my iPod Touch. Although I'd definitely would like the ability to change out the memory card should I need more capacity. I also use the iPod Touch to browse the internet when I have WiFi as I much prefer it to the Tour's browser and other 3rd party browsers like Bolt. I also don't even bother with games on the Tour. The Tour has a much better screen in terms of definition, but the iPod Touch really allows for better games and game play when incorporating the accelerometer.

Basically, for me then, it's the Tour for business and the iPod Touch for play.

Great points here, and a very true, and unbiased article. I do however find some dispute with your cursor statement. Its very easy to pinpoint area's to correct mistakes on the iPhone, and iPod Touch for that matter seeing as they run the same operating system (if you have the 3.0 software upgrade of course). Even without the upgrade they still highlight things the same with the magnifying circle type thingy. I also believe android has a easy solution to this as well. The only operating system that doesnt is the Blackberry Storm i believe. However i could be wrong!
    03-08-10 08:52 AM
    Great points here, and a very true, and unbiased article. I do however find some dispute with your cursor statement. Its very easy to pinpoint area's to correct mistakes on the iPhone, and iPod Touch for that matter seeing as they run the same operating system (if you have the 3.0 software upgrade of course). Even without the upgrade they still highlight things the same with the magnifying circle type thingy. I also believe android has a easy solution to this as well. The only operating system that doesnt is the Blackberry Storm i believe. However i could be wrong!
    Thanks. I tried to give each device their due as I believe that they both serve their purpose and do it well for what I think they're intention is.

I do have the 3.0 software on my iPod Touch. And the latest OS on the Storm that I had made it easier to select text than the original OS that it was launched with. Maybe it's just my fat fingers, but it would seem to take forever to be able to touch in just the right spot to move the cursor to where I needed it. In most cases, I just gave up and deleted everything until I got back to where I wanted to be. This is just a subtle nuance that people really don't experience until they actually use the device. And for me, it really compounded the issue of wanted to have a better interface device like a trackpad or trackball.

Of course, I also like having a menu button too. Maybe this is just me being used to computer software interfaces. But, there seems to be many, many cases where it seems like having access to a menu on the iPod Touch would make great sense. However, instead you're limited to just the "Home" button, which closes the app. That said, Apple does make strong user interfaces and gets around this issue in many cases. Heck, how long has the Mac had the single button mouse? I couldn't imagine only having a single button on Windows.
    03-08-10 09:36 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD