My Curve 8320 was stolen last night, and I foolishly did not have it locked. T-Mo deactivated service to the BB, but they said they *can't* blacklist the IMEI or PIN, as others on these boards have suggested when a phone is stolen. Is there anything I can do? It's bad enough this thief can see all my personal emails, contacts, etc. But it's a total kick in the teeth that T-Mo won't blacklist the phone.
    03-06-10 09:00 PM
    Post up your PIN number.
    03-06-10 09:11 PM
    To my knowledge, phones are only blacklisted in Europe
    03-06-10 09:46 PM
    Go here Unsupported Browser
    And hopefully you know the login, or at least have one. From that site, log in and you can remove all your personal email address accounts from the device.
    Note - the thief will still be able to see e-mails already received, but will receive no new emails.
    03-06-10 09:51 PM
    Sorry about your phone, but honestly there is nothing you can do. I guess just take this as a learning experience.
    03-07-10 12:11 AM
    That sucks, next phone install an app like EGPS so you can track your phone or wipe the phone out.
    03-07-10 12:15 AM
    Sorry for your loss and for that hopeless, sinking feeling. Hopefully everybody reading your post will be inspired to install SmrtGuard or similar tracking/locking/wiping software on their phone.
    03-07-10 08:51 AM
    I'm so sorry for your loss. That sucks!

Why not post the PIN here so CB members can harass them? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 09:32 AM
    That sucks, next phone install an app like EGPS so you can track your phone or wipe the phone out.
    The 8320 doesn't have gps capabilities otherwise that would have worked. On your next phone get roblock and with the app you will be able to lock your phone by calling it, initiate a wipe of the device, chime in and then turn on an annoying alarm when the phone is turned on. This will render the phone useless and unusable but your still gonna be with out a phone except for the thief will get annoyed as **** with all those alarms and mysterious data wipes.
    03-07-10 12:06 PM
    Wow that's a bummers. Sorry to hear that. Karma sucks so they'll get what's coming to them.
    03-07-10 12:11 PM
    Next phone you should download smrtguard free, you could have nuked that phone from your PC, problem solved
    03-07-10 12:14 PM
    My Curve 8320 was stolen last night, and I foolishly did not have it locked. T-Mo deactivated service to the BB, but they said they *can't* blacklist the IMEI or PIN, as others on these boards have suggested when a phone is stolen. Is there anything I can do? It's bad enough this thief can see all my personal emails, contacts, etc. But it's a total kick in the teeth that T-Mo won't blacklist the phone.
    Phones are not blacklisted in the US. Only in Europe, as people have stated.
    03-07-10 12:52 PM
    I see people are recommending 3rd party software and that's fine maybe as a last ditch effort to wipe your device. But do realize once someone wipes your phone clean and removes your SIM all 3rd party apps any tracking software will be useless.
    Last edited by Xpimp; 03-07-10 at 01:04 PM.
    03-07-10 12:57 PM
    Not that it matters but how long have you had your BB?
    03-07-10 06:05 PM
    Thanks all for the sympathy.

Hopefully everybody reading your post will be inspired to install SmrtGuard or similar tracking/locking/wiping software on their phone.
    Irony of all ironies, a week ago I just had to uninstall the security app because it was giving error messages. And then I had trouble reinstalling, and just hadn't gotten around to stopping at the T-Mo store for help.

This time around I installed Smrtguard, after reading good reviews. I think, just for good measure, I will install a second app for backup.

I called T-Mo again and actually got a state-side rep this time, who was much more helpful. He gave me some good info, which I will share here, in case it helps anyone else.

The rep said that if your phone is stolen you can send a letter to the T-Mo legal department, referencing the IMEI# and the police case report#. He said I should request in the letter that they blacklist the IMEI and request that they call me to follow-up and let me know that it has been completed.

Address the letter to:

T-Mobile Wireless
    Attn: Legal Department
    12920 SE 38th Street
    Belleview, WA 98006

Oh, and about that PIN on the old phone... it's 20797366. Feel free to harass away if you're bored.
    03-07-10 11:57 PM
    I sent harrassing PIN message. Wish there was app to send automatically every few minutes. Sorry for your problems!
    03-08-10 07:20 PM
    I sent harrassing PIN message. Wish there was app to send automatically every few minutes. Sorry for your problems!
    And you did of course sent from your BB which is attached to you. And you of course have to assume that the PIN listed was in fact the pin of a user's stolen BB. Not saying the OP lied, but "harrassing" unknown people, on the word of someone else unknown to you, has been known to backfire. Just an FYI
    Last edited by BlkBear; 03-08-10 at 08:00 PM.
    03-08-10 07:55 PM
    And you did of course sent from your BB which is attached to you. And you of course have to assume that the PIN listed was in fact the pin of a user's stolen BB. Not saying the OP lied, but "harrassing" unknown people, on the word of someone else unknown to you, has been known to backfire. Just an FYI
    For the record, while I am an imperfect human being and have told white lies just like everyone else has, I am NOT lying about this. My BB was stolen and a report was filed with the police. While it's nice to think of the thief being harassed, it's not going to bring it back or prevent them from using it. I need to get cooperation from T-Mo and other carriers to blacklist the IMEI from being used ever again. I just wish that they cared, but they probably don't care if the equipment is stolen as long as thieves pay the service bill. There's no disincentive for thieves to steal cell phones as long as carriers allow them to be used on their network. We need to get all the laws changed...national AND international....to compel carriers to comply with blacklisting.
    03-08-10 08:43 PM
    And you did of course sent from your BB which is attached to you. And you of course have to assume that the PIN listed was in fact the pin of a user's stolen BB. Not saying the OP lied, but "harassing" unknown people, on the word of someone else unknown to you, has been known to backfire. Just an FYI
    I hear you. Just stated if person has any integrity would try and make attempt to return to rightful owner.
    03-08-10 09:02 PM
    LOL. Ever see the AT&T commercial with the phone sitting on the table vibrating away? AH YES - that is what I picture right now as we all send PIN messages to this ******* who stole the phone.

GO GET EM CB!
    03-12-10 04:10 AM
    That sucks! There is an app that Crackberry posted and did research on a month ago. Its called smart guard, and it a handy little app. It backups your contacts, text, and e-mails. It also show where your phone is if you lose it or errrr.....stolen and will also kill your Berry in situations like this. Hopefully you had insurance and can get another one on the cheap. If so, get the smart guard app or something like it, you'll feel better knowing you have these options.
    03-16-10 06:00 PM
    yeah, sorry about that. Just realized you know about Smart Guard. I'll text the doucher for you though.
    03-16-10 06:04 PM
    If you put a password on your BB, doesn't it wipe the device after 10 (or fewer) wrong password entries? Isn't this good enough to protect your personal information - why do you need a third-party program to wipe it?
    03-17-10 10:00 AM
    I see people are recommending 3rd party software and that's fine maybe as a last ditch effort to wipe your device. But do realize once someone wipes your phone clean and removes your SIM all 3rd party apps any tracking software will be useless.
    Most of the tracking programs password lock the phone so the "new owner" cannot access anything on the phone. And since it is password locked programs the BB Master Control or BBSAK cannot access the HDD of the phone.

No possible way to nuke the phone if the computer cannot contact the phone.
    03-17-10 03:34 PM
    i thought they blacklisted PINs. guess not. i been telling people all this time too. lol
    03-18-10 01:16 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD