Dear all

I am in the UK with a new Bold 9700 carrier is Orange, any ideas on the best Skype app and i would also be interested to know how much calling abroad is likely to cost me, or instant messaging etc.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Ben H
    03-06-10 12:24 PM
    http://www.iskoot.com/

no charge. uses your local call minutes though.. and some data for updating status info and messaging
    03-06-10 12:29 PM
    There are a few threads on this already.

Some options are:
    iSkoot app (uses local minutes)
    IM+ for Skype app (apparently works through wifi)
    Skype to Go (no app required, uses your local minutes through a local access number)

You can search for these in Google or on this forum.
    03-06-10 12:31 PM
    Thanks all

To be honest its only to talk to my best friend who moved to Abu Dhabi a while ago, been skyping through Laptops which is ok but be nice to talk when i'm out and about.

Regards

Ben H
    03-06-10 12:34 PM
    Dear all

I am in the UK with a new Bold 9700 carrier is Orange, any ideas on the best Skype app and i would also be interested to know how much calling abroad is likely to cost me, or instant messaging etc.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Ben H

I too have a 9700 on Orange. I have IM+ for Skype installed. It works but its a bit odd as you have to push to talk so its like talking on a walkie talkie.
    James
    21B38C16

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-10 12:44 PM
    Thanks all

To be honest its only to talk to my best friend who moved to Abu Dhabi a while ago, been skyping through Laptops which is ok but be nice to talk when i'm out and about.

Regards

Ben H
    If you have Skype already, try Skype To Go. Skype To Go number - Great value calls abroad from your mobile

I use it for work to call from Canada to the US. It uses local calling minutes from your carrier but if you have one of the Skype subscriptions like Unlimited World there is no extra charge for To Go.

I got a local access number and call over 3G from anywhere in Canada. Very happy with call quality. I just dial the local access number, then dial the number I want to call. You can also save up to 6 numbers that you normally call as a quickdial and change them at anytime.
    03-06-10 12:53 PM
    Where can I find this app for skype?

03-07-10 12:13 AM
    There is no Skype app for BBs yet. A beta is scheduled for May.

http://about.skype.com/2009/03/skype...berry_sma.html

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-07-10 03:15 AM
    There is no Skype app for BBs yet. A beta is scheduled for May.

Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May - About Skype

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

May of 2009.....
    03-07-10 04:01 AM
    There is something going on with Skype, possibly connected to their recent partnerships with US carrier Verizon.

Skype has pulled their MS Windows Mobile client, supposedly due to Skype's quality concerns about their own client. Also the S60 client has been removed from Nokia's Ovi store. The due-any-day BlackBerry client appears on indefinite hold, as does the Android client.

There are old versions, work-arounds, and third-party clients in many cases but it appears that the new (post-Ebay) management at Skype has rethought their mobile strategies and is realigning their products.
    03-08-10 01:42 PM
    There is this instant messenger called Nimbuzz in Blackberry App World. I used for skype but also for aim. You can have all your aim, yahoo, gtalk, skype contacts in one place. I like the app. No problem so far and its freeeeeee. give it a try.
    03-08-10 02:03 PM

so i discovered that theres a beta already on t mobile which tells us that is possible for a beta open release later on may, i went up looking for it and i picked it up on demonoid, maybe if i get it work ill post something about it.

03-17-10 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD