I have a Curve and a Pearl and have been playing with 4.5 for some while on my 'backup' phone.

I went through the constant re-boot cycle too with all revisions up to .42. Ultimately I removed my Media Cards from both my phones and it stopped re-booting.

I am now running .42 on both phones and it has remained stable for at least a week.

The Pearl currently has no Media Card because I sent my 8Gb back to SanDisk for replacement and I re-formatted the 2Gb card in the Curve right after I installed 4.5.

I am sure that this was the problem because refitting the card started the re-boot cycle once more and reformatting fixed the problem.

It took me some time to work this out because I did not want to reformat my 8Gb card because it takes so much time to load the big card.

Maybe this will be the case for you, maybe not.

If you are experiencing OS 4.5 re-boot, please try removing your Media Card and post your findings here.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-14-08 at 02:47 AM.
    06-14-08 02:32 AM
    I was running .37 and now .42, and I haven't had this issue with my 2 GB memory card (�knocks on wood�). Does anyone know what causes this?
    06-14-08 03:21 AM
    I posted what happened to me in the hope of helping others and learning what went wrong. Now I have re-formatted my 2Gb card I can swap it between devices but until I did that thru' 4.5.0.10, 18, 37, 42, I had this re-boot problem.

I noticed that others wer having this problem so I posted my experience.

It seems to be a Media Card file system problem that does not always show up - like yours ^^.
    06-14-08 03:42 AM
    I have an 8820 and just put .46 on and have the same issue. Fine with out the card.

I backed up all the info on the card and formatted it in the phone and it was ok. I then copied the backed up files back and the rebooting started.....

Any one have any thoughts? The files are pics, mp3's, videos, and a couple of ebooks.....
    07-10-08 09:16 AM
    I had the same problem when I installed .42, constant reboot but ok when no SD Card in....however there was also camera problems so I went back to 4.2.194 which I find works well.

I take it you have to re-fromat the SD Card before you upgrade (& only have 1 device) as the BB doesn't stay on long enough to actually go in & select reformat card ?
    07-10-08 09:54 AM
    I was having intermittent reboots when playing videos or basically any media under 4.5.0.45 for 8330. I've reformatted my 2GB media card and is now copying the data back over. If I notice any difference...good or bad, I'll post. Thanks for the finding.
    07-10-08 12:30 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Just installed 4.5 46 and it constantly reboots,,,also, the battery is getting hot. I was ready to wipe the whole thing until i found this post. Just took out media card and so far no reboots. Has anyone noticed the battery drain with this new OS. Is it because of the reboots and does it get better after removing the media card?
    07-10-08 12:38 PM
    I was having the same problems with .46 on the 8320. It worked fine with my media card. I run everything from my media card (wallpaper, ringers) Everything was fine for a week until I downloaded an attachment from an email and then it started rebooting. I went through a full battery's worth of restarts until I finally decided to roll back to 4.2 and restored everything. I think I'm gonna wait for a final version to come out. Maybe T-mobile will have it out by next year along with their 3g network.
    07-10-08 08:14 PM
    I was having intermittent reboots when playing videos or basically any media under 4.5.0.45 for 8330. I've reformatted my 2GB media card and is now copying the data back over. If I notice any difference...good or bad, I'll post. Thanks for the finding.
    No issues just yet, however, .51 is now in circulation so hopefully if there are any problems...they will soon be resolved
    07-10-08 11:25 PM
    I was having the same problems with .46 on the 8320. It worked fine with my media card. I run everything from my media card (wallpaper, ringers) Everything was fine for a week until I downloaded an attachment from an email and then it started rebooting. I went through a full battery's worth of restarts until I finally decided to roll back to 4.2 and restored everything. I think I'm gonna wait for a final version to come out. Maybe T-mobile will have it out by next year along with their 3g network.
    You really should copy your current wallpaper and ringtones to the Device Memory. Why? when you connect your phone to your PC in Mass Media Mode, the phone will be unable to access its wallpaper and will default to the current theme's default wallpaper.
    07-13-08 01:38 PM
    What I had to do was install 4.5.0.37, then format the card, and NOT just put the backup back on the card. I had to add media back on item by item from my PC. Now it's all good.
    07-13-08 01:41 PM
    .37 is a nightmare OS...fried numerous peoples sim cards !!!!

I got an 8gb microsdhc on its way to me, hope everything works good with 8320 4.5.0.52
    07-13-08 02:38 PM
    Everything still working ok. Including 4.2 themes and colorpearl. Didn't think it was suppose to work with 4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 06:07 PM
    For the past week I've been running .33 it is a memory leak in action for sure (but beta). Today I jumped to .51 I'll use that and see how it goes for the next week. I do like new browser, but it took me a couple of days to realize the default volume was a tad low. I installed xplayer until I realized this, I mostly listen to podcasts so xplayer play list isn't a feature I look for. It now includes internet radio, but I could never get it to work. I do enjoy the ability to go to youtube if I like, I also like docs on the go. The html in email not there yet, I was using empowered with 4.2. I'll keep you updated

07-13-08 06:59 PM
    I did not have this problem with my curve, but wife was having this issue with her curve 8320. I did a wipe of her curve and reformatted the 2gig memory card with the curve and the problem has gone away. BTW, we are both running 4.5.0.52 os. This is the only issue that we have had with this OS.
    07-14-08 11:00 AM
    Copied from my post in the Curve forum....

So I successfully updated to 4.5.0.52 and I love it so far.

Well, other than every time I try to access my pictures I've added to my 4 GB media card it freezes the device up and I have to pull the battery.

What I've done in order to try and make it coincide with updating to the 4.5 OS is to back up all my pics and music from the media card on my PC, format the card using the BB and then transfer all the music and pics back via Windows File Explorer. I just copy and paste them from the place I backed them up over to the "F" drive in My Computer. I put them in their respective folders and then disconnect the device from the PC. I open up Media on my BB and scroll over to pics. Open that up and click on "My Pictures". As soon as I attempt this it freezes the BB completely, I've let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing happens.

After formatting the card with the BB and putting the media back on I did a battery pull. Now the phone won't get past the at&t splash screen with the 4GB media card installed.

As soon as I pulled it out and put the battery back in it booted up just fine.

I removed the media card, booted the device, went into options and disabled media card support. Pulled the battery, reinstalled the media card and booted back up just fine due to the support being off for the card. Went back into options and re-enabled media card support and formatted again. Took a couple pics with the camera and made sure it was able to save and read to and from the card and it was.

It seems as though it's something with how windows puts the files on the card through explorer. Now, what are other ways of putting files on the media card without copying and pasting in Windows Explorer?
    07-15-08 12:12 AM
    So I emailed myself a picture and downloaded it to the same folder on the media card where I had the pictures before.

It works fine. It has to be something with Windows and how it places that files on the card.
    07-15-08 12:23 AM
    i have a 8820 device os 4.5.0.52 ..... and it still dose the restart whenever i restart the phone or take out the card.... i hope they fix it in other upgrades...
    any ideas?
    08-14-08 02:07 PM
    Thanks Pete6, you're a lifesaver.

Confirmed: I've done to OS 4.5 upgrades so far one on a device with a media card and one without. The device without the media card is fine, while the other is a reboot-monster.

I've blogged about this on dominogavin.blogspot.com but I'm not allowed to post URLs

It's not like I haven't uploaded enough wallpapers to earn a measly 10 points.
    08-15-08 05:04 AM
    I can confirm that OS 4.5 has the same reboot problem as the earlier versions. Reformatting the card fixes the problem (a bit).

Of course, once you start putting data on the card, the problem starts up again.

I was able to get a very small amount of data on the card safely but when I tried for more, the reboot cycle started up.

I'll contact Telstra and report my findings though I don't expect much since they weren't even aware of the issue in the first place.
    08-18-08 03:33 AM
    I have always had trouble with my 8310 and OS 4.5. It got so bad that I was considering dumping the phone.

I downloaded OS 4.5.0.81 ad installed it. Immediately my phone went into its usual re-boot cycle. I was forced to download to OS 4.2.2.194 which is totally stable on my phone.

I had my 4Gb SanDisk card in the phone the whole time. It has music and a couple if vids on it. It too is stable and relaible.

I let of a rant in the OS 4.5 Beta forum and Garz sent me a link from another forum that addressed the sam issue as my very own thread here.

I pulled the 4Gb card out of my phone and re-installed OS 4.5.0.81. It ran perfectly. I left it for an hour and it did not re-boot.

I put my 8Gb SanDIsk card in the phone and immediately formatted it.

Again I left the phone and it never re-booted. I install apps and it's still stable. FInally I spend 2 hours loading vids and music onto the cards in Mass Media Mode.

The phone has not re-booted once. It is totally stable.

I shall now see what happens when I start using the device for normal customer calls on Monday but I have to say that removng the card and then re-formatting it right after OS 4.5 installation seems to have done the trick.

I have no explanation for this other than it seems to have worked - at least for me.
    09-21-08 09:49 AM
    My phone doesn't completely reboot, it just turns itself off and the only way to get it back on is to pull the battery. Can this be fixed by reformatting my micro sd? Is there any way to re-format it in the phone? I don't have the adapters with me at school to put it into my computer.

EDIT: I found the answer here, under JeffH's second post: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...73/index5.html
    just in case anyone else didn't know.
    Last edited by TangoWhiskey; 09-29-08 at 05:04 PM.
    09-28-08 07:30 PM
    i just recently got a verizon curve in place of my pearl. The curve has OS version 4.5.0.77 and doesn't appear to suffer from these problems. However, if I play a video from a website and then try to close the video by pressing menu - close, while it's playing, 1 out of 10 times it will cause the phone to lock up and reboot. Also, various times I get "uncaught exception -1 >=16" I wasn't a math major, but -1 is not greater or equal to 16. I get these errors and reboots regardless of whether the memory card is in or not and I've been able to duplicate the problems on two new curves. Anyone else had this issue?
    12-08-08 10:02 PM
    I can't believe this rebooting crap is still going around. I've stated this on many sites hoping it'd spread, but apparently not. The sd card is indeed the source of the problem, but a reformat or other steps are absolutely unnecessary. All you have to do is view the files in your sd card in the bb media manager on your pc. Switch the viewing mode to "detailed" and delete any file that is blank in the attributes column! Voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-09-08 01:47 AM
    I can't believe this rebooting crap is still going around. I've stated this on many sites hoping it'd spread, but apparently not. The sd card is indeed the source of the problem, but a reformat or other steps are absolutely unnecessary. All you have to do is view the files in your sd card in the bb media manager on your pc. Switch the viewing mode to "detailed" and delete any file that is blank in the attributes column! Voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you're referring to the earlier posts and not mine, because I mentioned that mine does it without an SD card installed. When I got my new curve yesterday I was able to get it to reboot before I ever put an SD card in it. but it doesn't just randomly reboot. So far it's only when I choose "menu - close" while playing a streaming video from the web.
    12-09-08 05:07 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD