Every so often, I'll get a new incoming SMS, and when I try to go to the inbox to view it, I get the dreaded java.lang.NullPointerException.

Pulling the battery fixes it, but only for a little while. At best, it works for 2-3 days before it happens again. Sometimes, like today, it doesn't even last one day: I already pulled it about 3-4 hours ago, and just had this issue again.

It's extremely frustrating, because rebooting after reinserting the battery takes 5 minutes, and I have to do it immediately to read the message I just received!

I tried updating the OS, but this has had no effect.

Has anyone else experienced this with their 9700? I'm on AT&T and am running 5.0.0.405. Thanks.
    03-03-10 05:54 PM
    I had this issue with all of the official AT&T versions on my 9700. The problem appeared even after I reinstalled the OS after a low-level wipe without any 3rd party apps. It was really annoying because the problem didn't appear consistently. I upgraded to .442 and the problem went away.
    03-03-10 06:33 PM
    This is promising, thanks... so far I've only had the courage to update to the latest AT&T version (from blackberry.com), which is .405. Have you had any other issues of any sort with .442?
    03-03-10 11:08 PM
    I am on .442 and i have not seen that issue... I had a lot of issues with .405
    03-03-10 11:57 PM
    I had this problem and I read somewhere around here that by backing up and restoring your phone thru the DM will fix the problem. I don't know how it works but it did in my case and never had a problem. Just search the forum for "null pointer exception". You'll have to dig a lot but you'll find it, just like I did.
    03-04-10 01:57 AM
    OK, just updated to .442 ... here's hoping.

By the way, is there a way to avoid losing all my application settings when I update OS? All the apps are still there, but I have to re-enter activation codes, login details, etc. More importantly, I lose my saved games!
    03-04-10 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD