View Poll Results: Do you like the "look" of the Blackberry Slider?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it!

80 44.69%
  • I don't like it!

55 30.73%
  • Not sure how I feel about it yet?

44 24.58%
    lets just get a simple poll going to see how people feel about the "look" of this new phone. LOOKS only!

lets see what we got here..
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 03-03-10 at 05:54 PM.
    03-03-10 05:52 PM
    Yes, I like the looks of it. As long as its a sturdy phone and not like a Pre. I would buy.
    03-03-10 05:53 PM
    Need to see it in my hands.....

thats what she said
    03-03-10 05:57 PM
    Need to see it in my hands.....

thats what she said
    HA!!! Glad to see someone work it in there... (that's what she said)
    03-03-10 05:59 PM
    I like it so far
    03-03-10 06:05 PM
    I need to see better pics first.
    03-03-10 06:07 PM
    **** no!!!!
    03-03-10 06:09 PM
    I think by the looks I like it..I would have to feel how sturdy it is to know for sure tho.. Keep the leaks coming! Also it would be nice to get a pic of something next to it for size comparison

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 06:16 PM
    If it has a screen the size of my Storm (or bigger), a regular keyboard like the Bold, adqeuate memory, and it's a quality product, I'll be the first buyer!
    03-03-10 06:18 PM
    I like the looks of it and the idea....I'd like to see it alil bit sleeker and alil sexier but it's not bad. Unforunately, looks like this may be a GSM only device....I'm with Big Red and since AT&T service sucks a$$ around here, I have a feeling I'm out the running
    03-03-10 06:20 PM
    No I don't like the look of it.

03-03-10 06:21 PM
    Looks sick, I just wannasee how the keyboard feels, thats most important. And I really hope is a GSM for for at&t!!
    03-03-10 06:22 PM
    I think just in my mind I have a certain way it'll feel. But obviously I won't be sure till I see it really. And if we get better pics

03-03-10 06:23 PM
    Meh, I will get it, and be proud of it, but, it reminds me too much of my first Windows Smartphone, my PDA2K

03-03-10 06:27 PM
    Ugly Ugly Ugly.......Blocky half arsed and dated......have I mentioned Ugly!....focus on the OS RIM ...... you know the other dated thing you have!
    03-03-10 06:28 PM
    I am, by no means, a slider fan.

However, RIM's reputation might serve them well in this case. For the most part, BlackBerry's are sturdy phones. I like the feel of the hardware and the user friendly interfaces. If they serve up all the things they have done well in the past, their future will only be brighter as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I must echo everyone's sentiments....I would have to get my hands on it to see how sturdy it is, but the look is typical. So off the cuff...not a fan.
    03-03-10 06:51 PM
    Any designer (I am a designer) will underscore the need for sturdiness but it's not just the sturdiness, it's the usability experience (or our visceral expectation).

I pick up my BB and start by typing something on its lovely QUERTY keyboard. This is often someone's name. There are many stages to this, but it boils down to: I pick up the keyboard first and the screen just happens to be attached.

The 9500 failed for me because it does not offer immediate access to the keyboard. There are subtle stages to get around to typing someone's name (and then typing isn't as good). The 9700a's photos bring about a similar worry because it shows subtle hinderances to typing someone's name and I don't want that.

In other words, I want the keyboard to be my first point of contact. Furthermore, the 9700a has a very conventional layout and consequently it does not attract an inquiry (or new expectation). Why not slide the screen behind the keyboard? It would not be worse!

I invite RIM to PM me for better ideas
    Last edited by flop; 03-03-10 at 07:13 PM.
    03-03-10 06:59 PM
    In other words, I want the keyboard to be my first point of contact. Furthermore, the 9700 is a very conventional design and consequently it does not attract an inquiry (or new expectation). Why not slide the screen behind the keyboard? I'm not saying that would be better, but it wouldn't be worse!
    This would be awesome you could have your regular bb with touch screen..and slide it down for a bigger touch screen.. Or make it so you could have that design and also be able to put the keyboard to the back of the phone for a full touch screen device.. Now that would rock!

03-03-10 07:10 PM
    Its ugly!

03-03-10 07:15 PM
    This would be awesome you could have your regular bb with touch screen..and slide it down for a bigger touch screen.. Or make it so you could have that design and also be able to put the keyboard to the back of the phone for a full touch screen device.. Now that would rock!

Yes indeed.

My earlier suggestion was a button keyboard with a clear window to the screen that is stored underneath: a window to your message alerts and other status displays. Then, if you want to, you can slide out the screen for its full glory. But then, I'm closer to being a business/academic user with somewhat boring needs

It could be a touch screen and consequently extend the keyboard but that's not really going to affect visceral reactions (it would be a behavioural thing). It's a nice idea though.

However, this represents my and your design ideas, not RIM's. RIM is conventional.
    Last edited by flop; 03-03-10 at 08:02 PM.
    03-03-10 07:19 PM
    If RIM releases this and it's anything like the Storm 1, they are screwed...
    03-03-10 07:22 PM
    Yeah, it's ugly.

03-03-10 07:26 PM
    I like the poll results. They basically suggest 'wtf?'

I'm going to change my tune. I remember complaining once that my BB phones people too easily because the keys are exposed. My current BB can phone someone from inside my pocket if I bump into someone and didn't lock the keypad. This feature can ruin talktime or it can even run-up big phone bills!

In my scenario, the 9700a is not a bad idea.

However, I would like to have a clever BB that can be arranged in one of several formations. For example: One for office ease of use, and another for pocket stowage. There could be another arrangement for car or for home. Either way, this keyboard/screen assembly is a serious topic that deserves some ingenious planning and a healthy design budget.
    Last edited by flop; 03-03-10 at 07:43 PM.
    03-03-10 07:30 PM
    i actually think its quite nice looking. the only thing turning me off to it right now is the trackpad. im weird, id much much much rather have a trackball. im also not fond of touchscreens, in any way at all. so basically im saying if it had a trackball and no touchscreen, id be first in line to buy one, but because of those things, im not interested

also i have a question - to all you saying you think its ugly: are you comparing it to other blackberrys or messaging phones? also would you actually be someone who would use a messaging phone or are you all business? cause ive read several people say that its ugly, useless, etc, but to me it looks as if its based for a younger audience, you know the people who would buy a slider anyway
    03-03-10 07:52 PM
    moving parts don't make me enjoy its look. Moving parts = more things to break.
    03-03-10 07:54 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD