That's right! A new OS will be on this slider device. Why, you ask? Well, if the rumors are true and this thing does not have SurePress but STILL has a touchscreen, then the whole Blackberry OS has to change. SurePress works because it allows you to highlight and then confirm. When you highlight an icon, it doesn't actually select it. You are able to hit the Blackberry menu button to bring up a bunch of options. That is how the Storm works and that is how EVERY Blackberry has worked...ever! Now, if this slider is only going to have a touchscreen and not a SurePress screen, then something has to change. The current Blackberry OS, which basically revolves around the BB menu button, will not be able to work correctly with just a touchscreen. It needs to have the highlight and confirm method! Well, the only way around this is that RIM had to design a true touchscreen operating system.

Now, why would there be a trackpad if the OS is changed and geared towards touch (without the highlight and confirm style)? Maybe it's because this slider Blackberry isn't even touchscreen! Perhaps it is just a slider so that you can have a keyboard and a lot of screen real estate.

Chew on these two points I've brought up. I'd love to see your thoughts
    03-03-10 11:17 AM
    I hope not. Surepress is better in touchscreens. Bunch oh whiners that like to complain when things are unlike the iPhony

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 11:22 AM
    I hope not. Surepress is better in touchscreens. Bunch oh whiners that like to complain when things are unlike the iPhony

While I do enjoy SurePress, you have to admit that more people dislike it. Customers want a normal touchscreen experience.
    03-03-10 11:27 AM
    I wasn't aware the iPhone was the first touch screen device made.

Granted i have very little SurePress time (just playing with a friends Storm 1) I will be glad to see it go. I don't hate it, but I'd prefer it wasn't there.
    03-03-10 11:27 AM
    Oh but what do we call it, while keeping the nature theme (ala storm) AND working in its new keyboard into the name? Hmm...

I've got it. The Avalanche!!

03-03-10 11:42 AM
    The talledega is a regular touch screen (as in article). The only way for someone to know this would be to turn it on and use it. Otherwise you cannot tell the difference from a regular non-touch screen and a NOn surepress touchscreen. Since someone has had to do this in order to state it is a regular touch screen that means they also have access to check which OS is on the phone.
    03-03-10 11:55 AM
    How about the "blade"
    That sounds good. BlackBerry Blade . ......

03-03-10 12:37 PM
    How about the "blade"
    That sounds good. BlackBerry Blade . ......

better yet - switchblade
    03-03-10 01:56 PM
    That's right! A new OS will be on this slider device. Why, you ask? Well, if the rumors are true and this thing does not have SurePress but STILL has a touchscreen, then the whole Blackberry OS has to change. SurePress works because it allows you to highlight and then confirm. When you highlight an icon, it doesn't actually select it. You are able to hit the Blackberry menu button to bring up a bunch of options. That is how the Storm works and that is how EVERY Blackberry has worked...ever! Now, if this slider is only going to have a touchscreen and not a SurePress screen, then something has to change. The current Blackberry OS, which basically revolves around the BB menu button, will not be able to work correctly with just a touchscreen. It needs to have the highlight and confirm method! Well, the only way around this is that RIM had to design a true touchscreen operating system.

Now, why would there be a trackpad if the OS is changed and geared towards touch (without the highlight and confirm style)? Maybe it's because this slider Blackberry isn't even touchscreen! Perhaps it is just a slider so that you can have a keyboard and a lot of screen real estate.

RIM is known for being a few steps behind the competition in terms of hardware and design. If what you suggest is true, then it would totally kill the device. A device this size NEEDs to be touchscreen, regardless if it has a physical qwerty. How would the user type in text in a landscape view? How would internet browsing work?
    03-03-10 02:40 PM
    While I do enjoy SurePress, you have to admit that more people dislike it.
    The majority of people that own the Storm and Storm 2 and use SurePress do like it.
    03-03-10 03:27 PM
    RIM is known for being a few steps behind the competition in terms of hardware and design. If what you suggest is true, then it would totally kill the device. A device this size NEEDs to be touchscreen, regardless if it has a physical qwerty. How would the user type in text in a landscape view? How would internet browsing work?
    If RIM were really that far behind then maybe there is no accelerometer on this device and there wouldn't be a landscape view and you could easily browse the internet with the touchpad like other device do now. I highly doubt this is the case but I'm just saying....
    What could actually be cool about this device is that it could give all these people that hate SurePress a true touchscreen Blackberry to type on. Reason I'm thinking this is cause if you wanted to type in Landscape view there would have to be an onscreen keyboard and since it's not SurePress it'd have to be a true touchscreen. Just like the Droid only has that crappy landscape slide out keyboard for typing in landscape but has the onscreen touch keyboard when in portrait. Picking up what I'm throwing down....
    03-03-10 04:19 PM
    While I do enjoy SurePress, you have to admit that more people dislike it. Customers want a normal touchscreen experience.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/at...80/index9.html
    03-03-10 04:49 PM
    I think the best way to attack this is by having both the surepress and the iphone touch screen way where you can switch between the two...of course I'm not even sure if this sort of stuff is possible...but then again RIM is making a slider.

03-03-10 07:23 PM
    out of everyone who has a storm 1 or 2 most likes surepress. To satisfy people like you they could give us the option to turn it off or on.

03-03-10 08:25 PM

lol, if that's the case, then CX got us all good when he posted the Twitter pic of the new Slider screen a while back. That pic depicted a digitizer ribbon connection on the top of the screen. I wrote about this in the Slider comparison thread that has those pics... perhaps the ribbon was added to throw everyone off, who knows.

I'll wager to say that it's touchscreen but not surepress. It's what RIM decided to go to instead of the Magnum design. I say overall it was a better move because it allows them to make the screen bigger.
    03-03-10 08:44 PM
    i honestly think the screen is too big to not be touch screen. I do want it to be touch screen. I'm not too picky about SurePress or just a regular glass touch screen. I currently have the Storm 1 and I like the SurePress except for all the dust that got under it. I know they improved the clicking in the Storm 2 and I'm not sure if people are having a dust problem, but as long as the dust doesn't get under the screen I don't mind the SurePress. I see benefits in both types of touch screens, but won't be upset either way. I also am a fan of having both touch and the trackpad. I'm sure different things will be easier with one over the other.
    03-03-10 08:45 PM
    I'll wager to say that it's touchscreen but not surepress. It's what RIM decided to go to instead of the Magnum design. I say overall it was a better move because it allows them to make the screen bigger.

I completely agree with that...
    03-03-10 08:46 PM
    Actually, I think whether or not people like it has to do the balance of two things:

1. How many times it saves you from selecting the wrong key
    2. How much it slows you down because it is a two-step process.

It is okay to me but I think a regular multi-touch touchscreen would be be great especially with all of that screen real estate.
    03-03-10 08:46 PM
    out of everyone who has a storm 1 or 2 most likes surepress. To satisfy people like you they could give us the option to turn it off or on.

Uum, I support SurePress. I linked the thread because it was a funny example of someone thinking they speak on everyone's behalf when he says nobody likes SurePress, yet most responses disagree with him. The OP has a change of heart midway through the thread.
    03-03-10 08:56 PM
    ha. i would say that the real reason is this: imagine if they put the four buttons from the storm 2 into the top part of that slider. this would mean you now have a phone plus an add-on keyboard. do you know how heavy that would be?
    03-03-10 09:02 PM
    I was playing around with my friends storm2 for a couple hours today just so I can see how SurePress truly is. And I hate it! It seems to lag, I've used an iPhone for almost 2 years. I don't need to highlight and then confirm is, epically when texting. But the texting wont be a problem since it uses a "Bold/Tour" style key layout. But it has the trackpad. So, a BB with a SurePress Touch Screen (just saying for right now), trackpad, AND a sliding Bold/Tour Keyboard. Sounds like RIM is trying to cover all there bases. So if You like to use Touch Screen alot, use it(my guessing is that it will also have a keyboard on screen with it in SureType mode). If not, use the trackpad and keyboard. But still get the great resolution, keyboard (That everyone will use). And the 6.0 OS.
    03-03-10 09:16 PM
    I am GLAD to see the optical trackpad in there. I have a Storm and selecting something tis a list can get a bit tricky with fingers. The Optical trackpad will allow for much greater precision. Also, selecting text to copy/paste is awful in storm. the keyboard with the trackpad will fix that too.

IMHO, this is what the Storm should've been. A device in this form factor allows RIM to experiment with a touch screen while allowing the experience that a traditional berry offered. They could've then moved to full touch devices after sorting issues and looking at consumer usage patterns
    03-03-10 10:11 PM
    so once this os drops hybrid for storm owners to maybe play around with??
    03-03-10 11:06 PM
    Maybe it does have surepress and no one can confirm b/c the device has no power.

Maybe it still needs confirmation by needing a double tap (like double clicking in Windows).

Didn't people say the Storm2 did not have surepress b/c early devices had no click?

I'm sure the slider doesn't have surepress...but I'm just saying...
    03-03-10 11:11 PM

I wish people would give up on this idea of a totally new OS for touch screens because IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Why? Because BlackBerry has anyways been and always will be about a gradual EVOLUTION of things, not something revolutionary new. Yes there are occasional unique new features like push email, BBM, and SurePress/TruePRess, but in all that they never fundamentally changed the system. Why? Because reguardless of it's desire to reach out onto the consumer realm, it is first and foremost a business device and as such it needs to remain relatively familiar to their existing user base. A user of the 8830 can pick up a Tour 9630 and feel right at home and pick up on the changes without being fundamentally retrained. This would not be the case if there was a new OS.
    03-03-10 11:12 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD