Hi,
    I notice the charging pod has a little light that turns on when it has power.

I generally tend to keep my wall charger plugged in at all times, and just plug in the phone when needed, since the plug is behind furniture.

Is there any downfall/possible damage of keeping the pod plugged in at all times, even if the phone is often not in?

Thanks!
    03-02-10 10:29 PM
    I leave both of my pods plugged in all the time. No issues.
    03-02-10 10:44 PM
    shouldn't be a problem
    03-02-10 10:51 PM
    Even though it's not "eco-friendly" I'm sure it's not a problem lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 11:01 PM
    Never had any problem with my pod before...

03-03-10 12:06 AM
    Same here I never unplug any of my charging pods

03-03-10 12:13 AM
    I've never unplugged my charging pod.
    03-03-10 12:32 AM
    Eco problem, consumption, and shorter usage life. All products have an expected usage life. By keeping it on all the time, you use it up quicker. Other than that, no.
    03-03-10 02:49 AM
    I would say the "eco problem" is really a non-problem as the LED inside could probably run for weeks or more off of a single AA battery. I doubt the current draw is any concern whatsoever.
    03-03-10 06:36 AM
    Think of your carbon footprint!
    Just kidding. I leave both of mine plugged in all the time, too. Power consumption is very low. (5.0 volts, 1.6amps... 8 watts... so about 70 kWatts/year. On my electric bill, that's $31 each per year.)
    And I presume most of us will have long moved on to a new device by the time our pods wear out from use.
    03-03-10 08:22 AM
    I always unplug. I always also unplug my microwave and my coffee maker. It's an OCD thing.
    We live in my husband's family's old property (old!) and I leave as little devices plugged as possible.
    03-03-10 10:42 AM
    its not "green" but if we are talking about using it for a very long time. then it wouldnt be wise to leave it plugged in.
    03-03-10 10:46 AM
    Thanks all for your replies!

New Question: I went out and bought one today from my service provider. It's an authentic OEM/Blackberry charging pod.

Charging works greats when connected to a wall socket or my computer. However, it doesn't sync! My computer doesn't recognize anything being attached. RIM's website advertises that the charging pod does. Is this an error? Are there 2 different OEM charging pods? I'm getting conflicting answers online.

Thanks!
    03-03-10 04:06 PM
    Thanks all for your replies!

New Question: I went out and bought one today from my service provider. It's an authentic OEM/Blackberry charging pod.

Charging works greats when connected to a wall socket or my computer. However, it doesn't sync! My computer doesn't recognize anything being attached. RIM's website advertises that the charging pod does. Is this an error? Are there 2 different OEM charging pods? I'm getting conflicting answers online.

Thanks!
    The OEM charging pods for a 9700 are just that, charging only. You still have to use either USB or bluetooth to sync.
    03-03-10 04:36 PM
    Oh, because on ShopBlackberry.com I found this:

BlackBerry Accessories CAN Store - Product Detail

Features

Combines with any travel or data cable charger to charge and/or sync with a BlackBerry smartphone
    Display smartphone while recharging, taking calls, watching videos or listening to music
    I didn't buy it online. I bought it from my service provider (quicker, no shipping fees). But is there any chance there's 2 OEM pods for the Bold 9700 or would that just be an advertising error?

Thanks!
    03-03-10 04:39 PM
    Mine has not been unplugged from the day I got it. It is a TINY little LED light!
    03-03-10 05:01 PM
    Is it blue or white? I've read of both. Mine is white.

I'm still trying to figure out if ShopBlackberry, as I posted in my earlier post, was inaccurate, or there are 2 charging pods (and it'd be worthwhile to get the one from their website, although a bit more), that can sync too.
    03-03-10 05:19 PM
    Is it blue or white? I've read of both. Mine is white.

I'm still trying to figure out if ShopBlackberry, as I posted in my earlier post, was inaccurate, or there are 2 charging pods (and it'd be worthwhile to get the one from their website, although a bit more), that can sync too.
    I bought a pod on ebay that advertised it could sync also. It can't but works great for charging. I sync with Bluetooth

03-03-10 05:51 PM
    to sync, you have to either connect via bluetooth or still plug the usb cable to the phone. its the way that its worded that is confusing.
    05-10-10 12:05 PM
    Oh, because on ShopBlackberry.com I found this:

BlackBerry Accessories CAN Store - Product Detail

I didn't buy it online. I bought it from my service provider (quicker, no shipping fees). But is there any chance there's 2 OEM pods for the Bold 9700 or would that just be an advertising error?

Thanks!
    I think when they mention syncing, they are talking about the cable, not the charging pod. Clever way of putting up a sentence!
    05-10-10 12:37 PM
    How does the charging pod work? I've only seen pictures of it but from what I've seen the phone stands upright in the pod, but there are no connection sockets on the phone in the area where it touches the pod. I'd like to get one but can't for the life of me understand how it charges!?!?
    05-18-10 02:44 PM
    How does the charging pod work? I've only seen pictures of it but from what I've seen the phone stands upright in the pod, but there are no connection sockets on the phone in the area where it touches the pod. I'd like to get one but can't for the life of me understand how it charges!?!?
    me too, i saw the pictures but never understood how it charges. care to explain?
    05-18-10 02:56 PM
    Its magic
    05-18-10 03:09 PM
    Its magic
    lol, nice!! all part of the BB ride?
    05-18-10 03:12 PM
    Bb magic. But here's a secret: look at your phone. You'll see 2 little metal contacts on each side near the bottom. When that touches the 2 "prongs" in the charging pod, your phone charges.

The pod itself has a little microUSB port in the back where your phone charger or computer cable attaches. Though, if you use your computer cable it doesn't sync, it just charges.

Its handy! The phone just slides into the pod with absolutely no energy at all. Really good accessory.

05-18-10 03:17 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD