Do you use it, and if so is it worth the $9.99 a month?
    06-13-08 01:59 PM
    I use it and find it to be worth the money. It's pretty fast and accurate on my pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 03:20 PM
    I called and Verizon gave me a free trial. Now I just want to go drive and use it
    06-13-08 03:34 PM
    Yes and yes. Use it all the time and works great for me

06-13-08 03:41 PM
    Interesting, I deleted it right off my Curve because I figured there were so many free apps that do similar functions. I figure Google Maps is free (then again it couldn't give you directions well enough to leave your driveway).
    06-13-08 03:45 PM
    Interesting, I deleted it right off my Curve because I figured there were so many free apps that do similar functions. I figure Google Maps is free (then again it couldn't give you directions well enough to leave your driveway).
    Actually, if you type in the starting address and destination address, google maps on your blackberry is just as accurate as when you do it on your computer and print it...but now you don't have to print anything. If you use the "my location" feature, then you're right - it's neat, but worthless to know that it can pinpoint your location to within 1700 yards, lol. (it doesn't use gps, it uses your cell signal to figure out your location which ain't so great...although, here in NYC, it gets pretty close...probably cuz there's more cell towers to help get your location down.)

As for VZ Navigator, I've never used it, but more people than not pretty much say that it's not worth the $10 per month. You can always try it for a month and then cancel - give it a shot, I guess.
    06-13-08 04:23 PM
    I uses it to tonight and it is way cooler than google maps.

06-14-08 01:49 AM
    Yea VZ Navigator gives you voice-prompts, unlike Google maps which provides text to get you to your location. Navigator cost money, Google maps is free. You get what you pay for.
    06-14-08 02:10 PM
    I say save the $10 a month. Go on Craigslist.org and buy a GPS unit (they're pretty cheap now). So instead of paying $120 for GPS for just one year. Buy a real GPS unit for $120 that'll last you forever.
    06-14-08 03:33 PM
    I have used VZ Navigator since it originally launched. (I am a VZW employee) It has come a long way since then. It has more features for Get it Now phones rather than BlackBerry's. But let me tell i have a Pioneer AVIC-N2 ($1800) Navigation system in my vehicle and in order to get updated locations I have to spend $250. So... with that said, VZ Navigator updates automatically to the network (not 100% correct all the time but no navigation device is) Also, with VZNav you can do a pedestrian mode. So if you are looking to walk or bike somewhere you can change the mode and use it like a handheld.
    06-14-08 07:42 PM
    I have used VZ Navigator since it originally launched. (I am a VZW employee) It has come a long way since then. It has more features for Get it Now phones rather than BlackBerry's. But let me tell i have a Pioneer AVIC-N2 ($1800) Navigation system in my vehicle and in order to get updated locations I have to spend $250. So... with that said, VZ Navigator updates automatically to the network (not 100% correct all the time but no navigation device is) Also, with VZNav you can do a pedestrian mode. So if you are looking to walk or bike somewhere you can change the mode and use it like a handheld.
    I talked to c/s rep over the phone about vz navigator and the 8330. She told me the location was pinpointed thru cell towers not actual gps. Was wondering if this was true as stated there is no gps chip located in the curve??
    06-14-08 07:51 PM
    I talked to c/s rep over the phone about vz navigator and the 8330. She told me the location was pinpointed thru cell towers not actual gps. Was wondering if this was true as stated there is no gps chip located in the curve??
    The GPS chip is crippled for everything other than VZNavigator.

GoogleMaps, WindowsLiveSearch... all use cell site positioning.
    06-14-08 08:38 PM
    I use it. It's well worth the money.............
    06-15-08 01:28 AM
    Well I have had my free trial just for a few days and love it. It will be a keeper.

Thanks

06-15-08 03:12 AM
    She was wrong, VZ Navigator uses GPS.

Looking forward to v3 for the Curve though. A friend of mine has it on his Voyager and it's a lot better. Still, 2.9.9 is pretty respectable and worth every penny. It's far more useful than the nav system in my fiancee's Lexus, which has one of the best in the auto industry; it's not quite as accurate as the car is, which combines GPS with an inertial sensor and odometer info, but it's pretty close and the database of businesses, POI's, etc., is much much richer, which you'd expect since it's essentially the same database of superpages.com, and doesn't need a $300 DVD update every year like the car does.

And ya, the pedestrian mode is pretty cool too. But watch out, VZ Nav sucks the battery life of the Curve real fast, which is already a bit lacking as it is. If you do use it unplugged hit the "end" key on the phone so the LCD shuts off and just use the voice prompts, it'll save a lot of juice.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 06-16-08 at 03:43 AM.
    06-16-08 03:39 AM
    Google Maps worked much better for me. I also had the 30 day VZ Nav trial/ Just wasn't worth 10 bux a month.
    06-16-08 07:36 AM
    VZNav is the only reason my girlfriend doesn't completely hate my BB, so its a keeper but works like a charm.

06-16-08 08:04 AM
    You can get it for $10.00/month or $2.99/daily access (for 24 hours). Gives you audible turn by turn directions and alerts you 50 ft from your next turn. The new software gives you traffic updates and what not and it's real time.

Chris
    VZW employee
    06-16-08 12:09 PM
    I got VZ Navigator for business reasons when I switched to the Curve. For navigation to a destination you've never been to, it's great. If you miss a turn, it's you fault, because the voice prompts give you several alerts before you have to turn.

Having said that, being in Southern California, the one feature I really want is the traffic-enhanced version. It's out for their regular phones now, but allegedly due out "end of June" for BBs. It's supposed to have all the additional search features, too.

You may want to wait until version 4 is released for BBs before deciding.
    06-16-08 01:06 PM
    Verizon's VZ Navigator software was developed for Verizon Wireless by Networks In Motion. It is completely based on their own "AtlasBook Navigator" software. It is great software and definetely one of the best out there. For the most part I think the pricing is the only drawback with VZ Navigator. At 10 bucks a month it costs a Verizon customer 120.00 per year to use the software. And to top it off, Verizon locked our BB phones' GPS to only work with the VZ Navigator software!!! Talk about bullying!!! The BB phones ship from BB with GPS capability, BUT Verizon MUST disable it so we can't use the GPS of the handset unless we bend over and let them have their way with us which unfortunately I see many of you doing. (I just hope you at least ask for some Vaseline.) It would be completely fair to at least allow us Verizon customers to have a "choice" to pay for their software or purchase GPS software elsewhere. But they won't hear it!!! I would honestly pay the 10 bucks per month for VZ Navigator IF Verizon would actually not force us to only be able to use the phone's GPS with their software only. For that reason alone, I REFUSE to pay for VZ Navigator!!! I'm not bending over for nobody, I believe in fairness and this isn't fair in the least bit.
    06-16-08 02:13 PM
    Verizon's VZ Navigator software was developed for Verizon Wireless by Networks In Motion. It is completely based on their own "AtlasBook Navigator" software. It is great software and definetely one of the best out there. For the most part I think the pricing is the only drawback with VZ Navigator. At 10 bucks a month it costs a Verizon customer 120.00 per year to use the software. And to top it off, Verizon locked our BB phones' GPS to only work with the VZ Navigator software!!! Talk about bullying!!! The BB phones ship from BB with GPS capability, BUT Verizon MUST disable it so we can't use the GPS of the handset unless we bend over and let them have their way with us which unfortunately I see many of you doing. (I just hope you at least ask for some Vaseline.) It would be completely fair to at least allow us Verizon customers to have a "choice" to pay for their software or purchase GPS software elsewhere. But they won't hear it!!! I would honestly pay the 10 bucks per month for VZ Navigator IF Verizon would actually not force us to only be able to use the phone's GPS with their software only. For that reason alone, I REFUSE to pay for VZ Navigator!!! I'm not bending over for nobody, I believe in fairness and this isn't fair in the least bit.
    I agree, I also refuse to pay for VZ Navigator. I already pay you large amounts of money (data+voice+text) and you want to charge me for something that my phone is already capable of? It's ******** ridiculous and I think will hurt them in the long run because businesses and individuals will go to Sprint or another carrier whose navigation services are included in their data plans.
    06-16-08 02:52 PM
    I agree, I also refuse to pay for VZ Navigator. I already pay you large amounts of money (data+voice+text) and you want to charge me for something that my phone is already capable of? It's ******** ridiculous and I think will hurt them in the long run because businesses and individuals will go to Sprint or another carrier whose navigation services are included in their data plans.
    As much as I would like free or "included" Navigation software on my data plan here with Verizon, there's no chance for me leaving Verizon for Sprint's service. That's like trading in my Mercedes for a toyota corolla.
    06-16-08 04:28 PM
    I agree with the post above. You should have the choice to pay for their software not cripple GPS altogether. I sent them an email about it, but of course I am not going to change any minds about it. When I go out to do some shows in July I will see if I can at least get a free trial. I want to see if it is something I want to pay for. I am always going to places I have never been before so it may come in handy, but man not for 10 bucks a month.
    06-16-08 04:32 PM
    I'm not buying that service either. As others have said in one year you could buy a handheld gps. They should be smart and enable it.
    06-17-08 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD