View Poll Results: Which chipset will be in the S3?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Played out MSM7600 or MSM7627.

12 16.44%
  • Non-LTE capable MSM7630.

14 19.18%
  • LTE/CDMA ready MDM9600.

47 64.38%
    So, which chipset do you think RIM will have in the S3? Are they ready to bring an LTE ready device to the table or will they continue down the path of "let's release non-future ready devices based on last year's technology"?
    03-01-10 09:09 AM
    Storm 3 I'm late...when was this announced?

Please don't say it has a slider...
    Last edited by The Gift; 03-01-10 at 09:38 AM.
    03-01-10 09:34 AM
    Well it sure would be nice to see something with a dual core Cortex A-9...

Tegra2berry

That probably won't happen...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 09:50 AM
    Storm 3 I'm late...when was this announced?

Please don't say it has a slider...
    Here's a little bit on it:

BlackBerry Storm 3: First Inside Look - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    03-01-10 09:54 AM
    Haven't most references to S3 indicate it will be LTE? Only makes sense since LTE chips have been out for a while, and the largest Storm distributor VZW will have LTE in larger Markets late 2010 and be expanding throughout 2011-2012. So if you figure a 2 year contract starting in Late 2010 ending late 2012, your going to want LTE. Of course that means that RIM is ahead of the game.
    03-01-10 11:38 AM
    RIM usually prioritizes battery life over having the newest hardware in their devices. However, from what I hear, LTE will be great on battery life, compared to something like HSPA, so maybe RIM won't mind throwing it on their newer devices. Besides, Storm would be one of the phones that would benefit the most from the improved speed: it's the best for web browsing and streaming videos.

03-01-10 11:50 AM
    Pretty sure I read some where that quoted someone from BlackBerry that said there won't be an LTE device until at the earliest 2011. That sounds about right since its not going to be in enough places for a few years still, so I would have to say the Storm 3 will be CDMA still. If I could only find the article. I read it off of this site just can't remember where. I will add if I find it.
    03-01-10 03:32 PM
    I say let ready. Maybe with a snapdragon or similar processor.
    03-01-10 04:04 PM
    Pretty sure I read some where that quoted someone from BlackBerry that said there won't be an LTE device until at the earliest 2011. That sounds about right since its not going to be in enough places for a few years still, so I would have to say the Storm 3 will be CDMA still. If I could only find the article. I read it off of this site just can't remember where. I will add if I find it.
    I'd love to see that. If it isn't LTE I can't see it competing with iPhone 4, n1, HTC incredible/Passion/bravo(whateva) which will all be available on VZW before S3. LTE is about all that would be worth waiting until Oct/Nov for.

03-01-10 04:33 PM
    So does anybody have a guesstimate for a release date?

I'm really looking forward to all the new phones coming out! I might have to buy all of them lol!

What features do you want in the next storm? What do you think will be in the next storm?

OS?
    Hardware?

Do you think S3 will have you wanting to upgrade from your S2?
    Last edited by JWoof; 03-06-10 at 10:32 AM.
    03-06-10 10:29 AM
    I hoping it's at least close or better to the Bold 2 chip. Anything more is icing on the cake.
    03-06-10 12:05 PM
    rumor has it that they are spending the r&d money on the twitter app lollll
    03-06-10 12:13 PM
    with the storm 3 when ever it comes out it'll have the snapdragon processor, some new phones are coming out with it and are impressive
    03-06-10 03:20 PM
    with the storm 3 when ever it comes out it'll have the snapdragon processor, some new phones are coming out with it and are impressive
    that's quite optimistic but unless you see a overhaul of the OS you won't see that powerful of a chip. RIM makes their devices for today and with no congruency (no GSM berry has OpenGL capabilities that is out, even the flagship 9700/9000).

The way RIM sees it, if it does just enough then that's enough. The original iPhone still can keep up with RIMs current offerings and it's going on 3 years old. If this OS 6 isn't top tier (android, WP7S, WebOS, iPhone OS) then RIM is going to skimp on the hardware, plain and simple so they can keep their profit margins.

03-07-10 01:30 PM
    Rumors have been that Storm 3 will be LTE capable and possibly drop Q3/Q4 2010.
    03-07-10 01:39 PM
    In reality I don't know if the actual chip set matters. For Example, the Droid Eris is running the same chip as the Storm 9530: MSM 7600. I tend to think the Eris is getting more out of the chip then the Strom ever did. So RIM could Slap a MDM 9600 in the S3, but what does that matter if the Chip is completely underutilized like the MSM 7600 in the S1?
    03-08-10 11:26 AM
    imagine a snapdragon processor every future BB.
    Nerdgasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Im a dork.
    03-11-10 06:15 PM
    Storm 3 almost certainly won't have LTE, until network coverage is more widespread its just another check on the feature list.

Are there many (any?) commercially available lte dongles yet as that seems to be the way faster technology usually makes its way into the mobile broadband market.
    03-12-10 04:05 AM
    Well, I voted LTE but hopefully that's wrong. I don't want to have to wait until mid-2011 to upgrade.

Report: Verizon 4G handsets out by mid-2011 | Signal Strength - CNET News
    03-12-10 08:17 AM
    How can we realistically debate this? Is there even any mention of the Storm 3 in development beyond the pics of the slider?
    03-12-10 08:43 AM
    How can we realistically debate this? Is there even any mention of the Storm 3 in development beyond the pics of the slider?
    Of course it's in development, RIM wants to keep with a yearly refresh like the iPhone.

I can almost gurantee it won't be LTE (higher chip cost, low deployment until mid 2011 will put a hurtin on their profit margin of the device). Once LTE is established in more than a few areas is when RIM will most likely make the jump, and I'm sure other companies will wait until next year as well.
    03-12-10 02:06 PM
    Of course it's in development, RIM wants to keep with a yearly refresh like the iPhone.

I can almost gurantee it won't be LTE (higher chip cost, low deployment until mid 2011 will put a hurtin on their profit margin of the device). Once LTE is established in more than a few areas is when RIM will most likely make the jump, and I'm sure other companies will wait until next year as well.
    I disagree on LTE. While it would be paradoxical for RIM to be ahead of the game, I think S3 will be LTE. Here is some of my reasoning:
    * VZW will have LTE in about 25-30 markets by end of 2010 and will be almost complete by end of 2011.
    *s3 will most likely be available in oct/nov which is a few months after major releases from android and iPhone. RIM will need something to set S3 ahead of the competition. Look at what happened with s2 going up against the Droid.
    * LTE chips have been out for over a year and there are already 2nd gen LTE chips coming out. (maybe not 2nd gen but at least the next rev)
    *LTE chips support just about every other band so RIM could build 1 Model and make it available in GSM or CDMA networks by just modifying the firmware but not having to roll out different chips. They are already doing this with Bold where the T Mobile and AT&T devices are exactly the same.
    * as I understand it LTE is a lot easier to manufacture and is far more efficient on batteries.
    * from day one of rumors about S3, from a few months back, to the most recent hands on posts people have said it is LTE.
    * LTE is becoming a worldwide standard, and we know RIM sells devices globally, so it males sense to start bringing about manufacturing of LTE devices especially since they are backwards compatible.

Of course it could just be 3G...

03-12-10 04:17 PM
    I disagree on LTE. While it would be paradoxical for RIM to be ahead of the game, I think S3 will be LTE. Here is some of my reasoning:
    * VZW will have LTE in about 25-30 markets by end of 2010 and will be almost complete by end of 2011.
    *s3 will most likely be available in oct/nov which is a few months after major releases from android and iPhone. RIM will need something to set S3 ahead of the competition. Look at what happened with s2 going up against the Droid.
    * LTE chips have been out for over a year and there are already 2nd gen LTE chips coming out. (maybe not 2nd gen but at least the next rev)
    *LTE chips support just about every other band so RIM could build 1 Model and make it available in GSM or CDMA networks by just modifying the firmware but not having to roll out different chips. They are already doing this with Bold where the T Mobile and AT&T devices are exactly the same.
    * as I understand it LTE is a lot easier to manufacture and is far more efficient on batteries.
    * from day one of rumors about S3, from a few months back, to the most recent hands on posts people have said it is LTE.
    * LTE is becoming a worldwide standard, and we know RIM sells devices globally, so it males sense to start bringing about manufacturing of LTE devices especially since they are backwards compatible.

Of course it could just be 3G...

Verizon just stated that they expect their first LTE device in mid 2011. Unless the Storm 3 is launching then, no LTE.
    03-12-10 04:27 PM
    Well, so much for my reasoning...

03-12-10 04:48 PM
    Well, so much for my reasoning...

Lol yeah that came from a press statement where VZW said they will be adopting a tiered data structure like AT&T will be.

Still even if this statement wasn't made, I know RIM wouldn't make the leap first...since they never have lol. RIM nor Apple need to jump the gun for LTE, they will wait till it's established and then move in.

Besides RIMs Storm will be trounced yet again if they can't get a competent product out this year, especially with the competition turning the heat up.

We fell for the 9530 (including myself) because it was the only offering VZW had that was good...which turned out to be ****in terrible. They drop the 9550 with minimal improvements and gets smoked by the Droid (better hardware/software and one **** of a marketing push). This year they have to battle the Nexus One, Palm Pre Plus (shame Palm hurt itself being on Sprint for so long), Windows Phone 7 Series (specs are Nexus One MINIMUM) and the ever strong rumor that the iPhone will finaggle it's way into VZW stable means whatever the Storm 3 IS it better be completely different from the first 2 iterations or it will will fade to obscurity quickly.
    03-12-10 06:19 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD