I am in the process of experiencing my first smart phone ever! Three days ago I made the decision to get the Droid Eris. I was in love with this phone the first 24 hours and then I started to think of my other options. The Moto Droid is out for me just because I really hate the size of the device... Just not for me. I know am deciding on either the BB Tour or keeping my Droid Eris. I have some following questions that hopefully you can all chip in.

I am mainly going to use my phone for texting/emailing with the whole uploading pictures to facebook and making the occasional tweet. I just graduated college so also looking for a very reliable phone for my "finding a J O B" process.

So far the Droid Eris seems to be a very capable phone but there is some hiccups in the facebook/twitter apps and when I am typing on the keyboard there seems to be some spotty lag.

So my questions for you are.

Does the Tour experience spotty lag while texting/emailing?

How are the facebook and twitter apps for the blackberry, from my very native knowledge of BB I have heard great things about them.

Is BBM what it is cracked up to be... all my friends just swear by it.

Everything I run is google from gmail to calender. Is the BB able to sync like the eris did to all my contacts?

Is the BB able to do google talk and is it instantly or is there some delay in receiving emails and msgs through gmail.

For those who say I should wait for the Tour 2/Bold Sorry I can't I need a reliable phone ASAP!

Thanks,
    RICKY

EDIT: I forgot to state that the reason I am looking to change is that I am not really wanting my phone to be used as a media device. I am looking for the best cellphone that can do the best messenging out there with the ability for crystal clear reception.
    Last edited by rickyhagen; 02-27-10 at 12:56 AM.
    02-27-10 12:05 AM
    Does the Tour experience spotty lag while texting/emailing? No, only a few if you multitask a lot(a little bit on OS4.7, will say no on OS5, depend what's running in background)

How are the facebook and twitter apps for the blackberry, from my very native knowledge of BB I have heard great things about them. Facebook is very laggy, I'm tired of waiting for an update. A Twitter app is in the work(built by RIM), I'm using the beta, and seriously: it rocks. It exist other 3rd party apps that I don tried.

Is BBM what it is cracked up to be... all my friends just swear by it. The best inovation since texting. very useful if you know people with berry.

Everything I run is google from gmail to calender. Is the BB able to sync like the eris did to all my contacts? Yes contact sync is native with OS5. for calendar(or contacts if you're running OS 4.7), you need to download the app Google Sync(free).

Is the BB able to do google talk and is it instantly or is there some delay in receiving emails and msgs through gmail. Message from Gmail are received in the BB around 5-15 seconds after the ''real'' reception in the inbox. I dont use Google talk but with Windows Live Messenger it's the same speed as the computer do(for text... for download image it's slower of course!)

Advice: If you buy on VZW with OS4.7(no official OS5 yet), upgrade to a leaked version as soon as possible. Take advice on this forum to chose the good one and to find the ''how-to''.

Good luck! Tour is a really great device, the best I ever had!
    Last edited by jgodin03; 02-27-10 at 12:16 AM.
    02-27-10 12:14 AM
    EDIT: I forgot to state that the reason I am looking to change is that I am not really wanting my phone to be used as a media device. I am looking for the best cellphone that can do the best messengering out there with the ability for crystal clear reception.
    The BB is the best device you could ever have.
    02-27-10 12:20 AM
    thanks for the reply.... I am still using my eris for a few more days to make sure that I am making the right decision for my self. As corny as it is... I just want to BBM haha
    02-28-10 07:00 PM
    If most of your friends have a Blackberry then get one and use BBM. I just bought the Tour on Sprint and loving it. I have been using a Blackberry provided by work for several years and just recently lost my job and work Blackberry. I ran right out and got one for my personal cell phone.
    02-28-10 07:50 PM
    If most of your friends have a Blackberry then get one and use BBM. I just bought the Tour on Sprint and loving it. I have been using a Blackberry provided by work for several years and just recently lost my job and work Blackberry. I ran right out and got one for my personal cell phone.
    Thanks for the reply.... I just feel like the droid eris is just not for me.... I feel obligated to do stuff on it just because of what it can do. I just want a phone with the best messenging capabilities out there. From my knowledge blackberry is that, however I use all google programs so hopefully the BB tour can sync to those as well as android does....
    02-28-10 09:05 PM
    I've got an old Curve 8330 (well, 1 1/2 years old...so ancient by cell phone standards...), and I've got the Google Mobile app. Has Gmail, and Google sync, along with Calender, etc... Google sync works great. Google talk is available (pre-loaded icon, but need to register/download). I've used Yahoo Msgr on the phone before, when I first got it, but wasn't in a 3G area, so it was rather slow. Never had that issue with BBM though. I've heard good things about Android phones, but have never used one myself. Call quality is amazing. Berries do take a bit of getting used to, but having used one, I doubt I will have another phone for quite some time.
    02-28-10 09:23 PM
    I have the Tour and it is a great device. I have gmail and it works great. Also BBM is cool as well. I also have downloaded some of my CD's and music sounds great on it. I don't know why I waited so long to get a BB and I sold wireless for over 3 yrs.
    BB was always a top seller for me And now I own one and love it. Loved selling them but always had everything on a dumbphone. Now the smartphone is such a better communication device. I highly recommend the Tour. You won't regret it.
    Mine is still on the 4.7 OS and no issues with it.
    02-28-10 09:26 PM
    I had the Blackberry storm and LOVED it. It had a few issues but was a lot of FUN. if you want fun I would get the Storm. I just got the Tour and Love that as well. It is so Fast and has so much memory so you can get all the apps you can handle.

If you want to play, get the storm. If you use it for business or more professional (still with some fun), get the tour!
    02-28-10 11:21 PM
    Does the Tour experience spotty lag while texting/emailing?Like mentioned before, if you are multi tasking (have many apps open at once) it will lag. But for the most part, no. I email and text literally all day for work. Never have problems.

How are the facebook and twitter apps for the blackberry, from my very native knowledge of BB I have heard great things about them.Facebook is a good app, I havent experienced any problems like others (lagging, not being able to post pictures, but everyones experience will differ.

Is BBM what it is cracked up to be... all my friends just swear by it.BBM is the next generation of texting. If you know someone with a BB, it is much faster and awesome app all together!

Everything I run is google from gmail to calender. Is the BB able to sync like the eris did to all my contacts?There is an app called google sync that will help to sync your contacts and calender events. I dont use it, but I tried it out and it works very well.

For those who say I should wait for the Tour 2/Bold Sorry I can't I need a reliable phone ASAP! I would say wait, as the new Tour will have Wi-Fi and a track pad opposed to the track ball, but the newer Tours dont have problems. But we are not sure when it will come out. It was sent out to carriers, but then sent back. So not sure on the release yet. This is by far the best phone, even Blackberry that I have ever had. I absolutely love it. Even without the latest leaked 5.0 OS.
    03-01-10 01:15 AM
    thanks guys.... you guys just helped me decide with the help of other friends that I have spoken too as well..... I will soon be a member of the BB community. =) pretty stoked on it!
    Last edited by rickyhagen; 03-01-10 at 02:40 AM.
    03-01-10 01:59 AM
    google sync always messes up my calendar. contacts it's fine with though...
    03-01-10 09:41 AM
    I think the Blackberry is good because it has a physical keyboard. My biggest gripe coming from a Windows Mobile phone is the lack of an awesome browser. Opera Mini isn't bad but I want a better browser that can do the full Facebook perfectly. (I haven't tried Bolt yet!) FB for BB isn't the greatest but it is about the best way to get on FB short of the computer itself.

The Droid Eris is not a bad phone at all either and Android is not a bad platform but I just don't like the onscreen keyboard for Android. That's probably the biggest gripe but other then that HTC can make some pretty nice phones.
    03-01-10 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD