Speaking as a BB addict and someone who is on his 4th generation BB, it's obvious to me that BB has been left in the dust technologically. It's not just Apple. The BB OS is basically the same as I got years ago on my 7530 and it's just awful waiting around to get devices that were launched 2 years before with GSM carriers and were not even cutting edge then.

It's pretty clear BB punted on the Essex and that they have just defaulted to the 2 stnadard launch times- May 1, which marks the 2 year period since the Curve launched when they have the largest number of expiring contracts, and the Holidays. When it launches, we'll have the chance to get a 2 year old device that has been passed by probably 5 or 6 manufacturers.

I'm letting my contract expire in May and then may move to AT&T and the iphone. I've waited as long as I can for BB to get their stuff together, but they appear to be headed the way of Palm, circa 2003.

The question is, why do we wait so long and subject ourselves to this? Is it because it was once a great, leading edge device? Just because of the stability and windows-like format that is non-threatening?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 07:45 PM

The question is, why do we wait so long and subject ourselves to this? Is it because it was once a great, leading edge device? Just because of the stability and windows-like format that is non-threatening?
    I've just recently started asking myself the same thing and have been considering switching over to a Droid but then stop myself wiating for a new BB release due in large part to work and how we communicate via BBM.
    02-26-10 07:52 PM
    It's because i'm on Verizon, i don't like the android phones, or palm, and I currently don't have the luxury of being able to switch carriers. That's bout it my friend. It'd be easy if all of us could just switch on a dime, but not everyone can. I'm still lookin forward to whatever is being launched. I know many aren't excited, but I don't feel the need to compare what i'm going to get on verizon vs. other carrier's phones that i simply won't be able to get. why fuss about it if i can't do anything? i'll wait.
    02-26-10 08:00 PM
    Every year I try a new device that's not blackberry and every year I return it within 2 weeks and come back to the blackberry. I think I am just used to all the small details of what the blackberry does and as soon as I find something missing I have to come back.

02-26-10 08:31 PM
    Speaking as a BB addict and someone who is on his 4th generation BB, it's obvious to me that BB has been left in the dust technologically. It's not just Apple. The BB OS is basically the same as I got years ago on my 7530 and it's just awful waiting around to get devices that were launched 2 years before with GSM carriers and were not even cutting edge then.

It's pretty clear BB punted on the Essex and that they have just defaulted to the 2 stnadard launch times- May 1, which marks the 2 year period since the Curve launched when they have the largest number of expiring contracts, and the Holidays. When it launches, we'll have the chance to get a 2 year old device that has been passed by probably 5 or 6 manufacturers.

I'm letting my contract expire in May and then may move to AT&T and the iphone. I've waited as long as I can for BB to get their stuff together, but they appear to be headed the way of Palm, circa 2003.

The average Blackberry addict CAN'T have cutting edge technology as a priority on a cellphone. That doesn't make sense. Obviously other aspects of Blackberry (and you'll have to ask them what those are, which you seem to be doing) keep them around.
    02-26-10 08:36 PM
    Speaking as a BB addict and someone who is on his 4th generation BB, it's obvious to me that BB has been left in the dust technologically...

...The question is, why do we wait so long and subject ourselves to this? Is it because it was once a great, leading edge device? Just because of the stability and windows-like format that is non-threatening?

BES, business email, and heavy text or email users are why � these are tough to beat� I agree on all other apps or functionality which are lagging far behind.
    02-26-10 08:42 PM
    Any phone better than my dumb phone is good for me. However, I kinda do feel that same way you do. So far, the only touchscreen phone that I like is (don't hate me for this) is the iphone. Many call it the toy phone but I have the ipod touch and it has apps that is sooooo useful for me.

Honestly, I think RIM is half-a**ing it and giving up on this tour2. But I DON'T want the Curve2 or Tour! Just release it already VZW.
    02-26-10 09:16 PM

You know I often get around to thinking the same thing, however I get back to the point of what do I want my phone to do. For me 1. I need it to function well as a phone/pda, 2. I'd like it to be clean, subtle and efficient, 3. I want it to have a decent amount of technology, but not in a way that overwhelms 1 and 2. I think that's what most blackberry users want.

In theory I like the idea of apps...when they help me be more efficient at something. The iphone is great but the fact of the matter for me is I don't need eleventy billion apps, just a few that make me better at what I want to do. It may be awesome at viewing videos or whatever, but that's why I bought a nice tv...I'm not spending hours looking at Top Gear re-runs on my phone. I also don't think that most people want to sacrifice a physical keyboard, every phone that I've messed with that didn't have one just seemed to slow me down. The iphone does alot well and has some technological/UI implementation advantages, just not well enough to sway me away from wanting a BB (or leaving Sprint).

I feel that the BB gives you the best compromise all around. The newer designs are stylish, simple and elegant. It packs enough tech to be good...not the best, but good enough. Besides that its probably one of the most integrated business/personal life devices that you can get.

In the long run, I hope that RIM can incorporate cutting edge technology that wows people while maintaining the same core competency and understated good looks. Being first to market with a device like that would be icing on the cake. If that happens I'm sure that they'll make plenty of the addicts happy again. Hopefully, the delay on the T2/Bold is RIM making a step in that direction.
    02-26-10 10:22 PM
    i agree RIM is slacking on building a powerful up to date phone . instead they upgrade one minor thing at a time and call it something new. they have the technology available , they know how to build phones , make your customers happy.
    02-27-10 01:30 AM
    Every year I try a new device that's not blackberry and every year I return it within 2 weeks and come back to the blackberry. I think I am just used to all the small details of what the blackberry does and as soon as I find something missing I have to come back.

I'm the same way, I've tried leaving RIM and Blackberry's behind, but every phone that I've had doesn't fulfill my expectations. I remember when I had my Treo650, and while I loved it because of the PDA features, it wasn't a really good phone. In fact, it was so bad at being a phone, I switched to a RAZR and got rid of my Treo650. The same as most of these phones out now (androids, web-os phones). I was excited for the Hero when it came out, I got it the first day, in 2 weeks I went through 3 of them, but they were all really bad. Lagged horribly worse than my curve, the battery would die by the middle of the day before I could even use my phone. I tried the Palm Pre, thinking Palm would be my savior, it was better, but still not refined like a blackberry. These phones just can't handle being both a phone and a browser, and as much as I love to browse the internet on my phone when I'm bored, I actually need my phone to be a phone and thats why I'm back to my 8330M. The battery on my curve lasts all day from 8 in the morning to 12 at night on a single charge. I can text/bbm/email all day long, make as many phone calls as I need, browse some websites/facebook, play some (limited) games, and it still has battery.
    02-27-10 01:33 AM
    I got tired of waiting for it and got the Droid a few weeks ago and love it. Don't get me wrong I miss the feeling and functionality of the BB as I've been a BB user for many years and not a big touch screen fan, but the droid out dues the BB's in most categories hands down. There's always the future, when my upgrade comes up next year hopefully BB will have a good up to par device with an amazing OS by then and I'll gladly go back to BB.
    02-27-10 12:08 PM

I too have used BBs for a few years now and the iPhone is the only touch screen that I even come close to liking, but I cannot see switching to AT&T like some at my company who use iPhones and have coverage issues when traveling outside major metro areas.

RIM is going to be around for a while longer and will come up with new phones to keep their existing client base as well as hope to add new clients with newer, faster, better models for us all to buy. They will have to compete with Apple and others for a long time to come, so they will have to step up their game pretty soon or get left behind like Palm.

You are correct, May 1st would be the very latest that they could release a new BlackBerry and not lose a lot of customers. I am sure that the carriers will put pressure on RIM to make sure that a new release happens by then or some of them may be hurt as well. I would hate to see RIM go the way of the Palm.
    02-27-10 12:28 PM
    Blackberry newbie here...I know the only reason I care is because when I decided I wanted a smart phone, Blackberry is what impressed me the most. As for other people (cue rant): I'm kinda irked at the sudden complacency of most people in the area of the forum who are suddenly gung-** about getting technology that's been available for awhile now to gsm carriers. "Oh, I'm SO sick of RIM giving us the same thing year after year! Oh, all their phones look the same! Oh, the Essex hasn't even been released but I can tell you it's inferior and outdated even in comparison to the Bold 9000!" BUT THEN they're all of sudden like "Yeah! Just toss a CDMA radio into a 9700 and let us have it!!!"

SMH. Me, personally, I wouldn't settle for that. Plus, it's been my belief that if RIM doesn't release anything by next month, they're SOL as far as sales and will pretty much have to wait for the hype of the Nexus One and the Supersonic to die down if they want any viable results with purchase. The carriers are going to move on to throwing energy into those devices, not to mention AT&T's will be busy with the annual Iphone release...I don't have much hope at all right now for this release. I've been researching or a few years now (from back when the Pearl 8130 was cutting edge) and people have been bemoaning RIM dropping the proverbial ball for quite some time. It's not over yet because they're still doing well by gsm carriers (9700), but they really can't afford to neglect CDMA users any longer as was mentioned before.

I'm going to the test some phones next week and then on the 5th, I'm making a decision. This has been an unnecessary ordeal, honestly lol.
    Last edited by CapnCrunchBerry; 02-27-10 at 07:42 PM.
    02-27-10 07:38 PM
    Blackberry newbie here...I know the only reason I care is because when I decided I wanted a smart phone, Blackberry is what impressed me the most. As for other people (cue rant): I'm kinda irked at the sudden complacency of most people in the area of the forum who are suddenly gung-** about getting technology that's been available for awhile now to gsm carriers. "Oh, I'm SO sick of RIM giving us the same thing year after year! Oh, all their phones look the same! Oh, the Essex hasn't even been released but I can tell you it's inferior and outdated even in comparison to the Bold 9000!" BUT THEN they're all of sudden like "Yeah! Just toss a CDMA radio into a 9700 and let us have it!!!"

SMH. Me, personally, I wouldn't settle for that. Plus, it's been my belief that if RIM doesn't release anything by next month, they're SOL as far as sales and will pretty much have to wait for the hype of the Nexus One and the Supersonic to die down if they want any viable results with purchase. The carriers are going to move on to throwing energy into those devices, not to mention AT&T's will be busy with the annual Iphone release...I don't have much hope at all right now for this release. I've been researching or a few years now (from back when the Pearl 8130 was cutting edge) and people have been bemoaning RIM dropping the proverbial ball for quite some time. It's not over yet because they're still doing well by gsm carriers (9700), but they really can't afford to neglect CDMA users any longer as was mentioned before.

I'm going to the test some phones next week and then on the 5th, I'm making a decision. This has been an unnecessary ordeal, honestly lol.
    I agree that the release is in trouble if they wait too long. Some people will switch to ATT for the new iphone, while many others will get the Nexus One and other Android phones that are releasing soon. Now I am sure they will still sell plenty of Tour2/Bold 9xxx but not as many as they would have if it was released in February/March. And to be honest I would love for it to be a 9700 with a CDMA radio because it is already better than the pre release 9650 so that would be a win. Hopefully they take that phone and add on to it though.
    02-27-10 09:09 PM
    BES, business email, and heavy text or email users are why � these are tough to beat� I agree on all other apps or functionality which are lagging far behind.
    I am a bb fan because they dont spend time on apps i dont need apps anyways(my opinnion)(i have a itouch if i want a game or something). I love the bb for texting and bbm.
    02-27-10 09:53 PM

I agree 100%. RIM must be doing SOMETHING right.
    02-27-10 10:02 PM
    I am a bb fan because they dont spend time on apps i dont need apps anyways(my opinnion)(i have a itouch if i want a game or something). I love the bb for texting and bbm.
    Now if you had an iPhone you would only need one device
    02-27-10 11:06 PM
    I care because I like bb.

The only reason AT&T gets so much love is that RIM has to compete against the iphone. If VZW gets the iphone as well, look to see RIM become a major player and step up what CDMA users have been lacking (or at least VZW as I am sure they will get exclusives like AT&T does). If Apple should release iphone for all CDMA, look for a major rework.

Maybe that is what we are seeing right now. RIM knows that AT&T exclusive Iphone is comming up and that Apple may go CDMA with it. They are just trying to build something better so that not as many bb users will jump ship when it happens.

Lets all be realistic here. No carrier has perfect coverage everywhere. What would happen if Apple released on all US carriers...RIM needs to have the game stepped up and ready.

sorry for the ramble. It's Monday morning...
    03-01-10 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD