Hi,

I am looking for traditional styled SMS application rather than threaded SMS application as in 9700. Is there any way to switch to clean inbox, outbox, sent items etc. Please advice.
    02-26-10 06:52 PM
    Never heard of an application to switch back, I wouldn't be surprised if there is one out there though.

Why the switch, I love threaded text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 06:56 PM
    Well might be personal preferences, you like threaded style and I don't. (Search forum and you will find many don't).

Any other professional who can help me with this. Thanks.
    02-26-10 07:32 PM
    you cannot. you can press alt+s in the inbox and that is it.

since you suggest him to search the forum, i suggest you do too because there are TONS of debates and threads on this EXACT same topic. you're just contributing to yet ANOTHER podium for berryite to complain on.
    02-26-10 07:54 PM
    Hi,

I am looking for traditional styled SMS application rather than threaded SMS application as in 9700. Is there any way to switch to clean inbox, outbox, sent items etc. Please advice.
    This threaded sms is a nightmare. There have been several posts started on this. You have plenty of company with others who agree with you. RIM's 5.0 threaded sms is horrible.
    02-26-10 07:54 PM
    This threaded sms is a nightmare. There have been several posts started on this. You have plenty of company with others who agree with you. RIM's 5.0 threaded sms is horrible.
    aaaaaand right on cue.
    02-26-10 07:55 PM
    Well might be personal preferences, you like threaded style and I don't. (Search forum and you will find many don't).
    There is no solution to this until RIM starts listening and realizing that there are many of us who want the ability to TURN THREADED SMS OFF.
    02-26-10 07:56 PM
    you cannot. you can press alt+s in the inbox and that is it.

since you suggest him to search the forum, i suggest you do too because there are TONS of debates and threads on this EXACT same topic. you're just contributing to yet ANOTHER podium for berryite to complain on.
    Thanks ALT + S did a partial job by showing me only SMS's but not a categorized one. I am new to BB (1 day now) so need to learn efficient way of handling the device.

Minor problem is I got my data imported in to BB and now whatever was in my outbox comes up with Green Icon (Drafts). Can I delete those in one go. Like all my sent items imported in BB. I was using E71 earlier.
    02-26-10 08:46 PM
    aaaaaand right on cue.
    Classic..... Just classic LOL

02-26-10 08:54 PM
    Classic..... Just classic LOL
    I'd call it rude and off topic and a waste of bandwidth.
    02-26-10 09:08 PM
    Just because you people don't like threaded SMS doesn't mean it's horrible. However I'm in favor of having the ability to turn it off, although I like it very much.
    02-26-10 09:21 PM
    Just because you people don't like threaded SMS doesn't mean it's horrible. However I'm in favor of having the ability to turn it off, although I like it very much.
    So you like unrelated messages being clumped together and needing to delete every sms twice?
    02-26-10 09:26 PM
    So you like unrelated messages being clumped together and needing to delete every sms twice?
    Well seeing that most messages I send and receive are part of conversations it helps me keep track of what the other said previously. The search function enables me to find whichever part of it I am looking for and the threading allows me to keep my inbox relatively clean when chatting with different people at the same time.

Not everyone uses text messages 10 times a month.
    02-26-10 09:43 PM
    I don't use text with more than 5 people. All my peeps are on BBM and that's fully threaded and a million times better in my eyes. Again just a personal opinion and nothing more.

02-26-10 09:52 PM
    I don't use text with more than 5 people. All my peeps are on BBM and that's fully threaded and a million times better in my eyes. Again just a personal opinion and nothing more.

I repeat: the correct approach to this issue is to ask not for the deletion of the threading feature but the ability to enable and disable it at will.
    02-26-10 09:54 PM

Any other professional who can help me with this. Thanks.
    Yeah I know that, but I never saw anything like what you are talking about...
    02-26-10 09:54 PM
    Well seeing that most messages I send and receive are part of conversations it helps me keep track of what the other said previously. The search function enables me to find whichever part of it I am looking for and the threading allows me to keep my inbox relatively clean when chatting with different people at the same time.
    Which is what IM programs were designed for. SMS was never intended to be a substitute for an IM program.

Not everyone uses text messages 10 times a month.
    I'd guess that I probably get more text messages in a day than you probably get in a month. The threaded sms system is a horrible way of processing text alerts and a nightmare to those of us who do get large numbers of stock quotes, news alerts and other similar sms messages. If you want to practice your type of SMS communication, try downloading BlackBerry messenger, AOL, GTalk or any of the other IM programs available to you.
    02-26-10 10:02 PM
    Which is what IM programs were designed for. SMS was never intended to be a substitute for an IM program.
    Well guess what, I got unlimited texting and so do a lot of my friends.

I'd guess that I probably get more text messages in a day than you probably get in a month. The threaded sms system is a horrible way of processing text alerts and a nightmare to those of us who do get large numbers of stock quotes, news alerts and other similar sms messages. If you want to practice your type of SMS communication, try downloading BlackBerry messenger, AOL, GTalk or any of the other IM programs available to you.
    Okay, first I send/receive anywhere between 6 and 10 thousand text messages a month. If you get more, well so be it, it's not a fracking race. But I think I get my fair share of them.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if you could keep your condescension to yourself and stop handing away your useless advice.
    02-26-10 10:08 PM
    Well guess what, I got unlimited texting and so do a lot of my friends.
    Unlimited text messaging has nothing to do with the point. Please follow along. SMS was designed ... again please follow ... for *short messages,* not conversations or extended dialogue. IM programs were designed to handle conversations and extended communication. You are attempting to turn SMS into IM. Those of us who use sms tranditionally, don't care for what you and RIM have done to sms. Now I'm a believer in optimizing RIM's functionality so if they want to keep this abortionized sms system, fine. Just let the rest of us turn it OFF.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if you could keep your condescension to yourself and stop handing away your useless advice.
    The title of this thread is ... "traditional sms style" and the OP came here looking for support and solutions, not someone hijacking the thread to tell like-minded others to shut up and go away. Your posting style is off topic, rude and against forum rules and I suggest you learn some civility.
    02-26-10 11:39 PM
    berryite can't read this because he has me on permanent block (which I LOVE!!) So let me just say... Don't feed the troll!!! Its POINTLESS to argue with him, he doesn't like to listen to anything but his own voice, so don't waste your breath or the forum space.

To the OP, sorry, but unfortunately for you guys this is the avenue RIM has decided to go with, mostly due to consumer demand. Like manu people argue, sms is never used for business practices so it is not on RIM's to-change list, since they are going with genereal consumer trends/demands.

02-27-10 12:10 AM
    Add me to the list of people who do not understand all the hate for threaded msgs. I love it because it allows you to follow a conversation. It doesn't mean you're using txts as instant messaging. But still... you if you send msgs to some one it can be nice to keep track of the back and forth between you and that specific person. If you have individual messages and are getting txts from many different people then you may have to scroll thru many other messages to try and find related messages. Also you have to keep flipping back and forth between your inbox and sent items folder.

Threaded msgs are a big plus in my mind.
    02-27-10 01:25 AM
    At first, I didn't mind the threaded SMS. That was until, I was looking for a message from a specific date.

Now, does anyone know how I can look for a text from a specific date? I have trouble scrolling up through the conversation because the trackpad will eventually think I'm trying to go right, which brings me right back to the bottom of the conversation. Then, I have to start over and that gets annoying. =/
    02-27-10 02:28 AM
    At first, I didn't mind the threaded SMS. That was until, I was looking for a message from a specific date.

Now, does anyone know how I can look for a text from a specific date? I have trouble scrolling up through the conversation because the trackpad will eventually think I'm trying to go right, which brings me right back to the bottom of the conversation. Then, I have to start over and that gets annoying. =/
    i don't know if there's a date search, but you can scroll up a page by pressing shift+space or scroll down a page with just spacebar, instead of using the trackpad. this works for browser and message lists too.
    02-27-10 02:44 AM
    Personally I love the threaded sms, also it's about time RIM woke up and added it.

02-27-10 05:35 AM
    Unlimited text messaging has nothing to do with the point. Please follow along. SMS was designed ... again please follow ... for *short messages,* not conversations or extended dialogue. IM programs were designed to handle conversations and extended communication. You are attempting to turn SMS into IM. Those of us who use sms tranditionally, don't care for what you and RIM have done to sms.
    Then again I don't remember asking for your opinion regarding my use of text messaging. In a nutshell: keep it to yourself, cause nobody cares.

Now I'm a believer in optimizing RIM's functionality so if they want to keep this abortionized sms system, fine. Just let the rest of us turn it OFF.
    Maybe if you didn't only read my posts for the sake of being an obnoxious, asinine tool, you'd have noticed that I am supportive of the ability to turn threading on and off. Please follow along.

The title of this thread is ... "traditional sms style" and the OP came here looking for support and solutions, not someone hijacking the thread to tell like-minded others to shut up and go away. Your posting style is off topic, rude and against forum rules and I suggest you learn some civility.
    Well last time I checked you were the one hijacking the thread telling me how wrong I was to use text messaging like an IM feature, and I think that the other posts on this particular thread have proven how wrong and annoying you were right now. So what I suggest is for you to go back to 5th grade and learn how to read.
    02-27-10 08:35 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD