I have an issue I wanted to get people's opinion on before I complain, just to make sure I'm not overreacting.

Basically I had to change my number today and there were some issues, the first 2 reps I spoke to were fine, they got what I needed done. Then I was transferred to IT because I could not access the internet after the number change.
    IT reactivated the web browsing and then started setting up my email (I didn't ask them to set it up as I know it can be done online via the Blackberry website). The IT guy asked for my email and my password. I objected to giving my password out several times saying "I've done this online before, this is a sensitive thing to give out and I don't feel comfortable giving it out, etc etc" and the IT guy just ignored my concerns and kept saying " No, it can't be done online.Thomas, I need your email password" repeatedly after each objections.
    After arguing for about 2 minutes I just gave it to him, he set it up and then I IMMEDIATELY went online and changed my email password AND set it up online. The IT guy lied to me and I don't think they should be asking for our email passwords. Any corrupt IT person can abuse this and gain access to vast amounts of people's private information.

I'm posting this here to ask you guys the question: Should I complain?
    02-26-10 06:15 PM
    I know how you feel and can appreciate your concern. However, before complaining, perhaps you should consider that the insistence by the IT rep was simply ignorance on his or her part. Admittedly, ignorance unchecked is bound to be repeated, but maybe instead of a complaint you could call Loyalty & Retention to clarify the issue with the hope that it not be repeated?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-26-10 08:18 PM
    I am a telus user as well, I have had them help me set my email up before and not once was I asked for a password. Another thing, is the reps usually tell me it can be done online too, they even tell me this when I visit the actual store. I think the rep you spoke with was just being a *****! Honestly, if it had been me in the situation I know for a fact I would've complained and I've probably would've gotten mad and hung up! Its not right but, I rather hang up then argue... I work in customer service and I've learned (even tho I dont think its right) "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT"...
    02-26-10 08:40 PM
    I ALWAYS set up my email by myself on the telus BIS site. It's very straight forward.... I would not have given out my password at all!
    02-26-10 10:45 PM
    Does anyone have the link to the BIS site?
    02-27-10 02:44 PM
    02-27-10 02:59 PM
    Thanks so much!
    02-27-10 03:43 PM
    Opiatus, I would send them a message using their online email system. In the letter, just request that you would like them to clarify things with their BlackBerry Support team. Chances are that this technician just didn't know better, which isn't an excuse, but does mean that they need to be trained correctly.
    02-27-10 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD