that and threaded SMS.

from your experiences what OS/hybrid should i use for the best battery?

i currently have the sprint 5.0 and know how to put on new OS's. i'm don't know a darn thing about hybrids, don't even understand them really...but if that is what you suggest i will research and do that.

so which OS/hybrid did you have the best battery with?
    02-26-10 06:11 PM
    to my knowledge...I feel like everyones phones react differently to any OS. I would say trial and error. like you..I don't know how to use hybrids.

I'm running the new .530 and my battery life is awesome when compared to the offical 4.7 that i originally had.
    02-26-10 08:25 PM
    why not invest in an extended battery if battery life is one of your main concerns?
    02-26-10 08:26 PM
    Battery life is a main concern for me also, working 16 hour days. What has helped me most is the hybrids and using a holster that puts my phone into standby mode. Also closing out apps in the background and only having GPS on when required.
    02-26-10 08:35 PM
    why not invest in an extended battery if battery life is one of your main concerns?
    i hate the bulk even mor :P
    02-26-10 09:03 PM
    i don't know a darn thing about hybrids, don't even understand them really..
    Here is a good article explaining what a hybrid is..It was written for the storm but the definition and concept are the same...

What is a Hybrid OS? | BlackBerry ILT
    Last edited by dave3825us; 02-26-10 at 09:07 PM.
    02-26-10 09:04 PM
    so whats the best hybrid i can get for my tour? i wanna do it now =]

i want a good battery, radio, and threaded sms.
    02-26-10 09:17 PM
    I'll be honest...for a while I really felt like it didn't matter what OS I was running, I could never seem to get past 5PM without getting into the yellow (unplug at 8-9am everyday). It frusturated the **** out of me, seeing others get a full day, or even two days on certain OS's. Every OS I've tried has had the same battery life, with he exception of the most recent irtehun hybrid that I've loaded earlier this week. The entire week, I have been going to sleep at 11pm, midnight, with 20-30% still left...which absolutely shocked me. Not to mention, browser/data speeds are incredible, boot time is about 2min, file free is 120MB steady, and the radio has been very, very stable. I could provide you with step by step instructions here, if you'd like to give it a shot. Its really very simple, and just as easy as loading a normal OS. Just let me know, and ill post it here, so others can try as well. This is just my experience, however...others have had great battery life with certain OS's. One HUGE factor is whether or not you've got a BBM Group on your phone. I left a group I've been in for months, and have seen my battery life increase dramatically. Also, any apps that are constantly pulling data (weather apps, gmail app, etc) that are open all day long will also affect battery life. On a typical day, I run Google Maps, TeleNav, Noben Radio Companion, Gmail, AIM, Facebook, Opera Mini 5, Poynt, and Google Sync. I also hold several BBM conversations, txts, emails, and a few hours of browsing with the BB browser. When I am done using the phone, I put it in standby...on .484 and .530 the standby feature has been removed-however if you holster the device, it can be forced into standby still. If you do not holster the device, be sure to lock it when done using. Also be sure to close out apps when not in use...and get used to pressing and holding the bb key, to see what apps are running in the background. You cannot cose the "main 5" apps: browser, phone, home, BBM, and messages. Setting the screen to auto-dim, and at a lower brightness setting also helps. Auto-dim at 30 or 45 seconds. Those are probably the most useful battery saving tips.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 10:10 PM
    Ya I'd love to try out the hybrid. I have .484 now. I don't use ne apps but facebook. I just text and bbm all day

02-26-10 10:17 PM
    And I've done all the battery tips like remove sim card, brightness down, etc. But I'd love to be able to make it thru a full day without charging

02-26-10 10:21 PM
    Alright...I think this latest hybrid from "irtehun" will be perfect for you. Let me grab my computer quick, and ill bang out a step-by-step walk through. I think you'll be pretty happy with the outcome. Give me about 10min...

02-26-10 10:38 PM
    okay thank you SOOOOO much =]

can i put it right over my .484? do i remove tht?
    02-26-10 10:42 PM
    Sorry for the delay...you CAN install this hybrid over .484, or the leaked/official .419 - I chose to install over .484, but that is only personal preference.

Before we begin, be SURE to go into add/remove programs and delete any/all previously installed BB OS's from your computer. It is okay to leave Desktop Manager installed.

Once the OS's have been removed, go to the directory below, and make sure the Loader Files folder is empty. If there is anything inside, be sure to delete the contents. Many times Windows will leave behind some OS files, which will muck up the install. So be sure to check the contents of the Loader Files folder.

"Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>Shared>Loader Files:"

From here - do a FRESH install of .484, or .419 leaked or official ... whatever your preference. Google search for the installer...it's out there.

Once your OS of choice is installed, click the link below to download the latest public irtehun hybrid:
    TourHybrid50v8.2 - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums

Once you have the hybrid installer.exe downloaded, double click to install. What this file is essentially going to do, is re-write several files within the OS folder, which you previously installed. The installer is also going to install a program called Shrink-A-OS, which is going to be placed here:
    "Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>Shared>Loader Files:YOUR OS FOLDER .484 or .419"

When the installer is finished, plug in your phone, launch Desktop Manager, and BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!!!

This next step is optional, but I would recommend...download BBSAK here:
    BBSAK 1.7 - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums

After you have backed up your phone, and downloaded BBSAK - launch the program, and perform a wipe. This is a low-level wipe.

Once completed, load Shrink-A-OS (this is also optional, but def. recommended!!) which is again located here:
    "Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>Shared>Loader Files:YOUR OS FOLDER .484 or .419"

This program will allow you to remove many components of the OS, which you may never use, in turn freeing up a great deal of space in the OS. For example, I have 15 apps installed with 120MB file free. I will upload a screenshot of which options I have selected in Shrink-A-OS, to give you a better idea of how to operate this program. Basically, all you need to do is select the programs that you wish to remove from the OS. What you choose to remove is up to you. Do NOT mess with the radio swap options, or anything else. All we are doing here is removing apps, fonts, themes, etc that you don't need from the OS.

When you are finished, hit the SHRINK button. A message will display showing your new OS file size. Should be somewhere between 35-45MB after shrinking. From here, simply click "launch loader". This is going to pull up App Loader. After you have wiped your phone with BBSAK, the loader should see your phone, and the install process from here is pretty much self explanatory. Loader is going to see the OS which you installed earlier, which includes the modified files from the hybrid installer. Just follow the prompts. IF you received a 552 error, or any other white screen error, after using BBSAK to wipe your phone, simply do a battery pull, and after the red light turns on, plug the phone in, and click launch loader again...when you see your PIN pop up, click next, and loader should catch the phone, and proceed to install. If it does not, do another pull, and try again. This happen sometimes, but shouldn't worry you.

Stay near a computer if you can, and if you have any questions/issues, please feel free to post here, or msg me. This entire process will probably take about an hour, maybe longer.

To double check that the install was successful - press alt+right shift+h from the home screen, and you should see:
    Platform: 4.2.0.179
    App Version: 5.0.0.464(771)
    The Options>About screen should say the same. In addition, if you go to Options>Applications>BB Key>Modules, you should see .464 and .459 modules.

ONE more thing - when using app loader, if will give you the option of automatically backing up and restoring your files. I choose NOT to auto-backup/restore, as you should have already backed up the phone with DM earlier. Like many here, I chose to manually restore ONLY the things you really NEED, using DM, after the OS install has completed. This is just a personal preference, however. IF you load DM, and click advanced, you can choose to restore your txt's, emails, phone options, etc...if you leave everything else out, you will notice a bit of extra free space. Also - you can backup your 3rd party apps with BBSAK, or you can simply re-download them after the OS install. I choose to re-download them OTA...but again, just a personal preference.
    Last edited by mconk; 02-26-10 at 11:57 PM.
    02-26-10 11:44 PM
    "Before we begin, be SURE to go into add/remove programs and delete any/all previously installed BB OS's from your computer. It is okay to leave Desktop Manager installed"

can i leave on the .484?
    02-26-10 11:52 PM
    i get to the research in motion folder and and i dont see a 'shared' folder. and i do see 'AppLoader'
    02-26-10 11:54 PM
    If you do not see the Shared folder, then the OS is not installed on your computer. Make sure to go to add/remove programs, remove any previously installed OS, even if it is .484.

When done, re-install a fresh copy of .484 on your computer. Once the install is finished, you should see this directory:

Program Files, Common Files, Research In Motion, Shared, Loader Files, 9630AMEA_v5.0.0.484

i get to the research in motion folder and and i dont see a 'shared' folder. and i do see 'AppLoader'
    02-27-10 12:01 AM
    I'm gonna try this today

02-27-10 11:04 AM
    I'm gonna try this today

02-27-10 11:20 AM
    I'll be honest...for a while I really felt like it didn't matter what OS I was running, I could never seem to get past 5PM without getting into the yellow (unplug at 8-9am everyday). It frusturated the **** out of me, seeing others get a full day, or even two days on certain OS's. Every OS I've tried has had the same battery life, with he exception of the most recent irtehun hybrid that I've loaded earlier this week. The entire week, I have been going to sleep at 11pm, midnight, with 20-30% still left...which absolutely shocked me. Not to mention, browser/data speeds are incredible, boot time is about 2min, file free is 120MB steady, and the radio has been very, very stable. I could provide you with step by step instructions here, if you'd like to give it a shot. Its really very simple, and just as easy as loading a normal OS. Just let me know, and ill post it here, so others can try as well. This is just my experience, however...others have had great battery life with certain OS's. One HUGE factor is whether or not you've got a BBM Group on your phone. I left a group I've been in for months, and have seen my battery life increase dramatically. Also, any apps that are constantly pulling data (weather apps, gmail app, etc) that are open all day long will also affect battery life. On a typical day, I run Google Maps, TeleNav, Noben Radio Companion, Gmail, AIM, Facebook, Opera Mini 5, Poynt, and Google Sync. I also hold several BBM conversations, txts, emails, and a few hours of browsing with the BB browser. When I am done using the phone, I put it in standby...on .484 and .530 the standby feature has been removed-however if you holster the device, it can be forced into standby still. If you do not holster the device, be sure to lock it when done using. Also be sure to close out apps when not in use...and get used to pressing and holding the bb key, to see what apps are running in the background. You cannot cose the "main 5" apps: browser, phone, home, BBM, and messages. Setting the screen to auto-dim, and at a lower brightness setting also helps. Auto-dim at 30 or 45 seconds. Those are probably the most useful battery saving tips.

Did you try any other Hybrids? If you did, which were they and was this your personal best?

02-27-10 01:48 PM
    I've prob loaded at least 20 dif hybrids...almost all of the Irtehun hybrids...a couple of 12MaNy's hybrids, Driphters, etc...IMO, the best hybrids I've loaded thus far, as far as battery, browser speed, os speed, and signal stregnth have been 12MaNy's recent build, and Irtehun's 8.2

Did you try any other Hybrids? If you did, which were they and was this your personal best?

02-27-10 02:19 PM
    When you say you have an issue with the Tours battery life, what exactly do you mean? How much talk/text/web time do you usually get before the battery dies?
    02-27-10 02:32 PM
    Little things like turning the screen brightness down will help. I have mine all the way down to 10%, my battery lasts almost 2 days with heaving texting.
    02-27-10 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD