Well, I am about to get a hand-me down HTC Touch from a family member, and plan to upgrade it from my current LG Voyager. The problem though, is that it is a Sprint HTC Touch, and i want to activate it on Verizon Wireless. I know that it has to be possible because they use similar techs but I don't know if they will allow me to. Will unlocking it have any effect on them allowing me to?
    02-26-10 05:45 PM
    Nope.

Verizon won't allow you to activate a Sprint device on their network. Unlocking doesn't apply to CDMA only devices.
    02-26-10 05:59 PM
    +1 - Not going to happen. Sorry
    02-26-10 07:41 PM
    Well, I am about to get a hand-me down HTC Touch from a family member, and plan to upgrade it from my current LG Voyager. The problem though, is that it is a Sprint HTC Touch, and i want to activate it on Verizon Wireless. I know that it has to be possible because they use similar techs but I don't know if they will allow me to. Will unlocking it have any effect on them allowing me to?
    Sprint and Verizon only activate phones branded to them. Unlocking involves having a sim card slot and only applies to GSM technology. Sorry your out of luck.
    02-27-10 12:29 PM
    I have to disagree with all of these posts. I have a touch pro that is unlocked (originally Verizon) and my friend has infact activated it on his sprint account, so yes it can be done.
    02-27-10 02:38 PM
    I have to disagree with all of these posts. I have a touch pro that is unlocked (originally Verizon) and my friend has infact activated it on his sprint account, so yes it can be done.
    Then Sprint allowed this. CDMA is controlled by an ESN or MEID number. These numbers are programmed in to a carriers database. If the number is not there, then it will not activate on the network. Period.

Therefore, Sprint programmed this number in their system.
    02-27-10 02:52 PM
    Then Sprint allowed this. CDMA is controlled by an ESN or MEID number. These numbers are programmed in to a carriers database. If the number is not there, then it will not activate on the network. Period.

Therefore, Sprint programmed this number in their system.
    So then why does Verizon provide open access? Open access allows Verizon to activate equipment or phones that aren't Verizon branded on the Verizon network...
    02-27-10 02:59 PM
    So then why does Verizon provide open access? Open access allows Verizon to activate equipment or phones that aren't Verizon branded on the Verizon network...
    Thsi is correct. This first off is not to allow any device on the network, with them passing the rigerous test required first.

Also this program will allow manufactures of phones and other equipment to get their product allowed on the VZW network.

Here is a link that will help with the open development qustions you have.

VZW Open Development
    Last edited by lastraid; 02-27-10 at 03:06 PM.
    02-27-10 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD