There were some posts a few days ago based on one of those "It Could Happen..." type of articles where the analyst indicated that the smartphone market place can't support the # of manufacturers out there now. He said, it would be a great marriage for RIM to acquire Palm and infuse some WebOS into the RIM platform. Well....

Palm's wipeout: Revenue will be 'well below' forecasts as consumers balk | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Palm is not doing well financially, and we all know RIM is doing very well. Also RIM is struggling with their software.

So, maybe this isn't such a nuts idea.
    02-25-10 01:00 PM
    If Palm falls I think someone like motorola would swoop in, as they have made it clear they would rather do their own software
    02-25-10 01:25 PM
    How do we really know RIM is struggling with their software? Maybe the rumored OS 6.0 will be new and the next best thing. Only time will tell but I don't think I can see RIM buying Palm.
    02-25-10 01:29 PM
    How do we really know RIM is struggling with their software? Maybe the rumored OS 6.0 will be new and the next best thing. Only time will tell but I don't think I can see RIM buying Palm.
    5.0 was rumored to be the new and next best thing... look how that turned out, lol
    02-25-10 01:34 PM
    Thats easy, look at nearly every official release out for current devices...glitches/bugs galore. RIM cant even get this generation right.

Anyways RIM wouldnt buy them, simply because the dont need to and RIM makes their own software in house and would buy something more specific like the purchase of Torch Mobile (since RIM couldnt make a decent browser to save their lives).

If Palm goes under, these are who would most likely buy them.
    1. Motorola
    2. Sony Ericsson
    3. HTC (if they decided to forgo both Android and Microsoft)
    02-25-10 01:38 PM
    While, in the past, Motorola has had the disposable income to throw at something of this magnitude, they are just *now* starting to get some of their "RAZR-era cool," I, personally, don't think their board would let them get away with it. RIM, however, has been *really* wanting to capture some of the uber-hip" consumer device buzz (the business people have always been here because RIM *always* delivers, without fail (the "fix and update" turn-around-time, however, is in DIRE need of coming up to speed without a doubt, though). They would also get Jon Rubinstein in the deal and that, and his team of hand-plucked Apple personnel, would be more like a flaming sword than a feather in RIMs cap and, I for one, would LOVE to see what would be possible if the two came together).
    02-25-10 01:46 PM
    If Palm goes under, these are who would most likely buy them.
    1. Motorola
    2. Sony Ericsson
    3. HTC (if they decided to forgo both Android and Microsoft)
    I'd say...
    1. LG (despite this)
    2. Sony Ericsson
    3. Motorola
    02-25-10 01:49 PM
    While, in the past, Motorola has had the disposable income to throw at something of this magnitude, they are just *now* starting to get some of their "RAZR-era cool," I, personally, don't think their board would let them get away with it. RIM, however, has been *really* wanting to capture some of the uber-hip" consumer device buzz (the business people have always been here because RIM *always* delivers, without fail (the "fix and update" turn-around-time, however, is in DIRE need of coming up to speed without a doubt, though). They would also get Jon Rubinstein in the deal and that, and his team of hand-plucked Apple personnel, would be more like a flaming sword than a feather in RIMs cap and, I for one, would LOVE to see what would be possible if the two came together).
    Only problem is WebOS is a new foundation. RIM is selling their current devices by the boat load. If RIM was in the position Palm/MS before WP7 was at it would be a serious option. None of the technologies used by WebOS factor into what RIM uses. RIM loves the fact that their devices are secure and we all know how easily it is for one to toy around with WebOS (and iPhone OS as well).

Still, it could happen. If RIM could make WebOS secure while keeping the content the same, and keep improving on Project Ares (WebOS web dev kit) it could be amazing, but remember RIM has to keep up with all those lovely BES/BIS infrastructures and make sure they would work.
    02-25-10 02:50 PM
    Project Ares? What is that?

And that is the 2nd time I have seen someone refer to something RIM is doing as webOS. Am I miss reading that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-10 03:23 PM
    Project Ares? What is that?

And that is the 2nd time I have seen someone refer to something RIM is doing as webOS. Am I miss reading that?

Project Ares is Palms web based development kit, which is waaaaaaay better than the Mojo SDK they initially dropped. The best thing about it is that its open to anyone with some web programming knowledge and a web browser, unlike RIM and Apple (Apple requires an intel Mac to program iPhone Apps).

Not entirely sure what your asking in the bolded part.
    02-25-10 03:38 PM
    Thanks! I misread your ref to WebOS. You mentioned it in context to Palm and I thought you were referring to RIM. All good now.

02-25-10 03:40 PM
    Motorola is in no position to buy Palm with their financial situation and with the recent break up of the company it's harder to come up with funding.

Nokia, the giant have no reason to buy palm when they are already no.1. Buying palm is a sign of weakness losing their position.

When it comes to technology LG and Samsung already exceeds Palm. This wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for them.

RIM is a growing company but it's still a pretty grey company. Who knows where they will be in 10 years. Usually a growing company never go off buying another big company but they would go on a spending spree targeting smaller companies.

The only company that makes any sense to buy Palm is Apple. The two company have worked close together back in the days and their offices are literally side by side. Now that they are sworn enemy i think it's best for apple to hug and kiss because if they don't, the company that takes over Palm will benefit a lot of information that ex-Apple employees brought over to Palm.
    03-02-10 04:07 AM
    Only problem is WebOS is a new foundation. RIM is selling their current devices by the boat load. If RIM was in the position Palm/MS before WP7 was at it would be a serious option. None of the technologies used by WebOS factor into what RIM uses. RIM loves the fact that their devices are secure and we all know how easily it is for one to toy around with WebOS (and iPhone OS as well).

Still, it could happen. If RIM could make WebOS secure while keeping the content the same, and keep improving on Project Ares (WebOS web dev kit) it could be amazing, but remember RIM has to keep up with all those lovely BES/BIS infrastructures and make sure they would work.
    Its easy to toy around with any Smartphone Operating System unless locked into a corporation or government entity. I use an iPhone and work for the governement. My iPhone isn't easy to toy around with nor is the other 5 guys i work with who chose iPhones to be for testing over free approved Blackberry's. But any Smartphone without the proper security measures is an easy target to hack. To tell you the truth the 3Gs is harder to hack then a BIS Blackberry since every messege leaving the 3Gs is automatically encrypted by default, and the Blackberry BIS is not unless you go in and set those setting yourself.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 03-02-10 at 09:31 AM.
    03-02-10 05:42 AM
    5.0 was rumored to be the new and next best thing... look how that turned out, lol
    Well lets be honest here...OS5 is a better option than the older OS's before it ie 4.7, 4.6 etc etc.
    03-02-10 07:22 AM
    I would say motorola or htc steps up before rim
    03-02-10 10:49 AM
    Yup and then Microsoft will absorbed RIM.
    03-02-10 03:09 PM
    i think RIM would benefit from acquiring Palm due to some of the things within webOS plus Blackberry OS is so dated, would be a good business move too
    03-02-10 07:37 PM
    And from what I'm seeing here, the Palm Pre styling is much needed.
    03-02-10 07:44 PM
    And from what I'm seeing here, the Palm Pre styling is much needed.
    Eew, no... Palm Pre is a crummy looking device. It just makes me want to toss it into a lake and see how many times it skips.
    03-02-10 11:07 PM
    The day RIM made a smart move like this would be the end of the world.
    03-09-10 08:32 PM
    that would be awesome.
    imagine the possibilities.
    03-11-10 04:27 PM
    Is this not a good time for RIM to really consider to buy out Palm. Palm's share have dropped from $18 (52 week high) to below $4 (Frida's after market price) and I suspect it will continue to drop until Palm is dead, do a GSM 3G world launch - yes this includes North America and Asia!!, or evidence of potential buy out from another big corporation.

RIM: Great hardware, crappy OS.
    Palm: Great OS, crappy OS.

If RIM would use Palm's technology, I think RIM might have a leg against Apple!
    03-20-10 12:50 PM
    i dont remember that much hype behind it. Just it was better than 4.6/4.7
    if those pics behind 6.0 are true it means rim is at least trying something new, nothing compared to 5.0
    03-20-10 01:56 PM
    yup... a joke to even call it a smartphone...
    03-20-10 02:06 PM
    i dont remember that much hype behind it. Just it was better than 4.6/4.7
    if those pics behind 6.0 are true it means rim is at least trying something new, nothing compared to 5.0
    if 6.0 is to be a success... RIM will need to dump java and develop in a real language
    03-20-10 02:06 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD