According to Cnn and Money the Thunder could be here as soon as August.
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/10/technology/ATTsubsidywars.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008061014

The article is mostly about the Iphone, but the last paragraph:
    "The big test will come as early as August when Verizon starts selling Research in Motion's (RIMM) touchscreen BlackBerry, codenamed Thunder. The phone will be an exclusive for Verizon and a prime candidate to answer AT&T's iPhone. Given the hotter competitive climate Verizon may be feeling the heat to offer a costly subsidy of its own."
    Last edited by kc5mzr; 06-14-08 at 07:47 PM.
    06-12-08 01:56 PM
    Boy I'd love to see it release in august.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 05:35 PM
    Yea, man. That'd be sweeeeet. But first I want to see an official announcement followed by UI videos!
    06-12-08 07:11 PM
    Would they release it that soon after the Bold.

Ned
    06-13-08 10:17 AM
    They would, but they'd cripple it faster than that.
    06-13-08 10:22 AM
    They would, but they'd cripple it faster than that.
    The only thing they cripple is GPS...and thats it.
    06-13-08 02:39 PM
    No...thats not it.
    06-13-08 06:41 PM
    thats it and it's still the best phone service in america.
    06-13-08 08:43 PM
    Now I have a big issue. Do I go for the Thunder or the Bold. I'm betting on the Bold being out sooner than the Thunder.
    06-13-08 08:58 PM
    No...thats not it.
    Please tell us what else they "cripple."
    06-13-08 10:00 PM
    thats it and it's still the best phone service in america.
    Please tell us what else they "cripple."
    No, thats not it. Try again. When did you guys break up with your search buttons?
    06-13-08 10:18 PM
    LOL I love when someone realizes they're gotten caught with wrong information and use the "search" excuse to worm their way out. Pathetic. Like I'm really going to search every Verizon thread for the capabilities they "cripple." They "cripple" GPS in that you CAN STILL GET IT if you pay for it. That's it.

Admit that you were wrong and we can all just move on.
    06-14-08 01:28 AM
    No, thats not it. Try again. When did you guys break up with your search buttons?
    What else did they cripple?
    06-14-08 04:36 AM
    LOL I love when someone realizes they're gotten caught with wrong information and use the "search" excuse to worm their way out. Pathetic. Like I'm really going to search every Verizon thread for the capabilities they "cripple." They "cripple" GPS in that you CAN STILL GET IT if you pay for it. That's it.

Admit that you were wrong and we can all just move on.
    This, from someone with 162 posts. I love when someone assumes I meant search the forums, as opposed to search my posts to see that I don't just shoot off at the mouth.

What else did they cripple?
    Thats the nicest approach anyone has used. Lets start with blocking videos sent as MMS and/or email to the device, if they are sent from competing carriers. Strange, videos sent between VZW customers appear with no issues, yet when I send a video from my AT&T Curve (which big bad VZW got a year later) it never arrives.

Is PAM offered free of charge with VZW? Is it possible without a "hack" on VZW?

Anyone ever heard of the OBEX protocol? Ya know, the one that's standard on devices with bluetooth capabilities? Why was there a need to use Bitpim or seem edits to transfer audio files (not mp3 ringtones) and pix to a VZW phone is this wasnt cripple or blocked?

Hey I agree, Verizon is a wonderful network, if you only plan on talking on the phone.

LOL: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/retu...62/#post390831
    Last edited by DearFloyd; 06-14-08 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added LOL
    06-14-08 08:26 AM
    Intercarrier MMS are based on agreements between BOTH carriers in question. As far as I know, sharing MMS between carriers has been around for 3+ years now.

Verizon does not touch OBEX on the Blackberries.

Do your research.
    06-14-08 10:25 AM
    Sooo...how about that Thunder release in August?
    06-14-08 02:10 PM
    i am really hoping CNN knows what they are talking about. The sooner this thing comes out the better. August would be awesome and to think I was so close to buying the curve. Patience really is a virtue.
    06-14-08 05:14 PM
    August 25th online, September 8th in stores. This is not confirmed yet.
    07-04-08 01:21 PM
    I am truly excited about this release. I can't wait to get my hands on it. And to think I started to go out and get the curve, lol
    07-04-08 01:47 PM
    I just want to see a picture of it! Sure, the BGR pic was nice, but I want a real picture and a UI video! Gahhh!
    07-04-08 11:13 PM
    This, from someone with 162 posts. I love when someone assumes I meant search the forums, as opposed to search my posts to see that I don't just shoot off at the mouth.

Thats the nicest approach anyone has used. Lets start with blocking videos sent as MMS and/or email to the device, if they are sent from competing carriers. Strange, videos sent between VZW customers appear with no issues, yet when I send a video from my AT&T Curve (which big bad VZW got a year later) it never arrives.

Is PAM offered free of charge with VZW? Is it possible without a "hack" on VZW?

Anyone ever heard of the OBEX protocol? Ya know, the one that's standard on devices with bluetooth capabilities? Why was there a need to use Bitpim or seem edits to transfer audio files (not mp3 ringtones) and pix to a VZW phone is this wasnt cripple or blocked?

Hey I agree, Verizon is a wonderful network, if you only plan on talking on the phone.

LOL: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/retu...62/#post390831
    Yo, I have a blackberry 8330 for Verizon, and Blackberry Pearl 8130 for Verizon, and blackberry 8300 for ATT, and have no issues at all with obex, and mms videos/pics with any of them. I haven't seen any crippled features with Verizon blackberries besides GPS.
    07-05-08 09:29 AM
    Ridiculous! Assuming the number of posts relates to someones knowledge!

Anyway, stop with the crippling of GPS by VZW, it works fine. You pay for it, it works. It's a business decision, move on.

I would venture to say that AT&T is sticking it to their customers worse than VZW (with the new iPhone Data Plan anyway). With VZW, you have the choice to pay the $10 a month for GPS services, where AT&T makes you pay the extra $10 a month for their entire data plan whether you want GPS or not..... seriously, who is screwing who!??
    07-05-08 12:25 PM
    I have a Verizon Curve but I can't connect move files to it other than Outlook sync, via Desktop Manager, which works fine.

But I can't get at the photos, I have to email them to myself. Nor can I access the phone's memory via Windows XP, though I don't have an SD card just yet.

All I get is DUN or audio gateway, USB or Bluetooth. No file transfer except through Desktop Manager. And BTW, the new 4.5 version takes about 3x as long to do anything, but I'm really getting off point on that sorry. Still works though.

Outlook sync is great, it's half the reason I got the thing, but I can't directly exchange objects other than that. According to Verizon that's just how it is. They told me to buy a Micro SD reader for my PC, but that only lets me get at the stuff that's on the flash card, the phone memory is off limits except through DM.

If there's a workaround I'd love to hear about it!

As for GPS, well as much as I like VZ Nav it's a bit clunky right now and way behind their BREW phone's version. Last I heard it was due for an update in June...but now it's July, and what about apps like Infospace, which is GPS aware on other carriers?

I've heard their excuse about security/privacy and that's valid to a point. The ability to disable GPS is built into the phone so if you don't want to be tracked then OK, you can do that. Choice would be nice!
    07-07-08 03:20 AM
    there is no way there would be a release in august, i have had a hands on experience with one and the software is so far away from being ready its not even funny, like its not even useable right now, i wouldn't expect to see this device until late this year or early next year. its just not ready!
    07-07-08 12:00 PM
    there is no way there would be a release in august, i have had a hands on experience with one and the software is so far away from being ready its not even funny, like its not even useable right now, i wouldn't expect to see this device until late this year or early next year. its just not ready!
    I dont think that you lie but how do you have hands on experience with the thunder. I just wonder because so many others seem so strongly that it will be out as soon as verizon gets a semi usable thunder with limited bugs. However, i think they will make shure that absolutely nothing is wrong with the phone before they release.
    07-07-08 12:55 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD