I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support. I just received my 3rd storm. The bottom keys all went dead.

The tech said he was one of the ones testing the new OS to come out on the Storm 1. He said to watch for a release soon (like in a month)

He mentioned that the Storm 1 and Storm 2 will both be receiving official updates at the same time. He also mentioned that it will most likely be the last one for the Storm 1.

I asked him if it was .419 and he said no...that one had memory leaks and too many issues. He said it is much better.

I have my fingers crossed.

Be nice now...this I'm a newby and I feel like I received this from the horse's mouth.
    02-23-10 04:29 PM
    I'm going to add one more thing here.

The guy also made mention of something I didn't realize. I told him I had tried the .419 and hadn't noticed the memory leaks. I said my memory actually improved and remained pretty steady using that OS. He said you probably wouldn't have noticed the memory instability since it was a beta. He said excessive use of the internet caused problems with memory in the 419version.

He also made mention of the application center. He asked me if the application center worked when I tried the 419 beta. I said no. He then made the comment that in the official test for the .419 they could access it and that is where a lot of the memory issues came from. He said the betas often have certain functions turned off. Especially if they are the items causing the problems within the official testing version.

It may take a while for Verizon to approve something, but at least they are more thorough than Toyota!
    02-23-10 04:39 PM
    Ahhhh a "Verizon tech said" thread. Takes me back to the good old days of leaks. Haven't seen one in a while. Terrific. One month it is. I can't wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 04:49 PM
    its not untrue, i think someone stated last week that they where testing 480+ or maybe in the 500s
    02-23-10 04:50 PM
    Obviously it's been a while since the last leak, normaly threads like this got 17 pages of flames in the first 10 minutes after posting. It would be nice to see another update the last official one was a little lacking, and I haven't really been in the mood for the hybrids. Course a little over a month (only like what 35 days?) from now is April 1st.... hmmm
    02-23-10 05:09 PM
    Ummmmm... .419 wasn't a leaked Beta. It was the official release of another carrier.
    02-23-10 05:47 PM
    Ummmmm... .419 wasn't a leaked Beta. It was the official release of another carrier.
    Plus Betas are identical to a carrier release anyways, so what the rep said about beta being different from what they would have gotten wouldn't hold true.
    02-23-10 05:53 PM
    I suspect that Verizon would release another OS for the storm if/when RIM incorporates the new web browser with flash into the 5.0 OS.

It is amazing how little VZW employees know. I was in the store one time talking to a rep about the storm 2 and she told me the release was a week away. I told her that it was two days away and she said I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, the people here at CB know much more than they do as the release was two days later.

Just wait and see.... I was hoping another carrier would release a newer OS so that I wouldn't have to wait for VZW anymore. I'm sick of the hybrid game.
    02-23-10 08:05 PM
    I'm going to add one more thing here.

The guy also made mention of something I didn't realize. I told him I had tried the .419 and hadn't noticed the memory leaks. I said my memory actually improved and remained pretty steady using that OS. He said you probably wouldn't have noticed the memory instability since it was a beta. He said excessive use of the internet caused problems with memory in the 419version.

He also made mention of the application center. He asked me if the application center worked when I tried the 419 beta. I said no. He then made the comment that in the official test for the .419 they could access it and that is where a lot of the memory issues came from. He said the betas often have certain functions turned off. Especially if they are the items causing the problems within the official testing version.

It may take a while for Verizon to approve something, but at least they are more thorough than Toyota!
    This right there is some BS.

Next time you have a prerelease that also goes final (released by carrier), take the SFI file and each of the Java files and run an SHA check on each one... they will match. That pretty much indicates they are byte for byte identical.
    02-23-10 09:04 PM
    Dont use leaks, nothing but problems..
    02-23-10 09:06 PM
    Dont use leaks, nothing but problems..
    what the **** is this BS....im almost fell off the couch reading it!
    02-23-10 09:28 PM
    Way over due for an official release. As for the last official for the storm1, I think there gonna discontinue it.
    02-23-10 09:32 PM
    Still sitting with official .328... Any suggestions for a good leaked OS? A link would be great and thanks for the help. Tired of waiting for Verizon and all I've seen for leaks is not for the 9530...

02-23-10 11:01 PM
    419 would be your best and only choice
    02-23-10 11:07 PM
    I'd like to know how he could say .419 had too many issues after they released .328, which was a complete disaster! Not that .419 is perfect, but compared to .328 it's freakin AMAZING! That right there tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. That and the fact that .419 has very stable memory.

I can hardly wait, they will again release a sub-par OS when a better one is available...I'm almost willing to bet money on it!
    02-23-10 11:45 PM
    This reminds me of a song by Aerosmith.. same old song and dance.

I suppose it's been a while since we saw a 'verizon rep said we're getting a new OS in 2 weeks'.

If being on these forums for the last 15-16 months has taught me anything though, let me pass that onto you. Just because a VZW rep tells you they are testing something, they will never know more than 24-48 hours before they actually release the update because until they finish testing, there is no guarantee. It is nice to know that they are still testing new OSes though, as the storm still has issues.

As for the best OS currently, I don't waste my time with hybrids, but .419 has been pretty great.
    02-24-10 12:35 AM
    I'm holding out hope for a new official release. While I'm frustrated with VAD not working on .328, I won't use .419 because I actually use my full keyboard in portrait almost exclusively and apparently that OS version has issues with it.
    02-24-10 04:19 AM
    Oh boy another "This rep said" thread that usually leads to bs false lies. I've never had keyboard problems when I had .419.
    02-24-10 04:50 AM
    Yeah, I've only known one verizon rep to be more than casually knowledgeable about any BB, particularly the Storm...and he get's all his information from these here forums. It's how I found out about them. Go figure.
    02-24-10 07:45 AM
    .419 gave me no problems either... .328 on the other hand was a disaster for me. I had to downgrade to .323 it gave me so many problems.

No matter how many times I re-installed on the 4th batt. pull it would freeze my phone on the 'verifying security software' screen and render the touchscreen useless.
    02-24-10 08:02 AM
    I'd like to know how he could say .419 had too many issues after they released .328, which was a complete disaster! Not that .419 is perfect, but compared to .328 it's freakin AMAZING! That right there tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. That and the fact that .419 has very stable memory.

I can hardly wait, they will again release a sub-par OS when a better one is available...I'm almost willing to bet money on it!
    I asked the same thing. I said the .419 worked much better for me than the official .328

When I talked to the rep at the Verizon store initially he was clueless. He checked my OS...saw the .419 and said, "yup, you've got the most current OS that Verizon has pushed out." At that point I rolled my eyes and said, "good to know."
    Last edited by slcbtf; 02-24-10 at 02:16 PM.
    02-24-10 01:04 PM
    i have 419 installed, and i seem to have flick scrolling issues. if i scroll through a long email or bbm or sms conversation, the scrolling gets all whacky and jumps to a random spot. its really annoying and i cant wait for another update..
    02-24-10 01:24 PM
    i have 419 installed, and i seem to have flick scrolling issues. if i scroll through a long email or bbm or sms conversation, the scrolling gets all whacky and jumps to a random spot. its really annoying and i cant wait for another update..
    I had that issue with .328 on my last phone. The screen stopped responding shortly after that and I got a new one from VZW. No more issues and I'm still on .328..

02-24-10 03:11 PM
    Same here. I don't understand how a feature like that is overlooked, and some people still think .419 is amazing. I'd rather go back to 4.7 so it isn't threaded and i could scroll back a day or two to see important information someone texted me without yelling at the screen.
    02-24-10 03:31 PM
    well I actually was talking to some RIM employees this past weekend at the Olympics and got told there will be a few more leaks and official OS's for the Storm 1 yet. Including most likely the entire new OS they are planning on releasing this summer. While it might not work as good on the Storm 1 platform as it will on the Storm 2, it's intended to work on both. But it's being designed for the new touch screen due out at Christmas.
    of course they were drunk and in a festive mood, so they could've been lying.
    02-25-10 12:51 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD