Well, its been a month since we saw any leaked or official OS for the 9700 - earlier it used to be so regular...does it mean that something is being worked on? May be a webkit browser cos I remember seeing that 9700 may be the 1st one to get or some other enhancements like going back to non threaded sms and a option to thread? or is it something to do with some super app compatibility?

Thot of this cos .442 is solid and yeah we may need something exciting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 12:22 PM
    I sure hope so. You see all the great apps that apple, android ect seem to get and cheap I might add. Blackberry would be smart to jump on the regular consumer and pick up some of their business. It would not be difficult. Change their publicity and aim some of it at the average consumer not so much the business person and throw some real energy at their softwear. It sure could use a kick in the ***. Looking at what some of the other companies are putting out, blackberry couldn't be putting much thought into their products softwear. Maybe I'm wrong being somewhat of a novice, educated novice with a few blackberries I know what I enjoy. I was tryiong to locate a good app for reading business cards, you would think a business device like blackberry would be the first to have such an app. (one that works) The only one I found sucked, it was worthless. I thought when I went looking their would be a good choice of that app, no such luck. I understand windows mobile and apple has a few good choices in that app. Why, that is a business app that should be available for a business phone, (blackberry)??? Maybe we will get some choices this year, I hope. I really enjoy my 9700, it just needs more good apps that work.

02-23-10 12:47 PM
    If you listened to the latest podcast there were hints that the webkit browser would be made available for the 9700...who knows when though? Probably not until after a new device is launched with it.

02-23-10 01:56 PM
    Tour2/cdma bold will be launching soon, maybe that will have the webkit browser and hopefully an update will be released around the same time for the 9700.

02-23-10 03:12 PM
    BTW, I'm not sure what the appeal of non-threaded SMS is. I think that threaded SMS is my absolute favorite update to the BB OS. I had non-threaded with ver 4.6 on my Bold 9000, and after upgrading to ver 5.0, I couldn't even imagine going back. I really feel that it is THAT good.

Now, I'm all for a new browser, I just don't think we'll be seeing it in the next 6-9 months. I've been wrong before though. :-)
    02-23-10 03:33 PM
    i don't believe tour 2 will have the webkit browser on it. 9700 will not get webkit soon either. i believe webkit will be introduced with rim's new generation of bberries to hit the market late this year.ex. dakota. after the new device is released, webkit will be available few weeks down the road for the other devices like tour 2, 9700, etc.
    02-23-10 03:36 PM
    BB is just so behind in everything.
    Releasing updates and devices that should have been released to begin with.

Most BB users aren't even asking for a media player/gaming device. We just want a solid web browser that isn't embarassing to use in front of other smartphone users.

02-23-10 04:31 PM
    Ah all this speculations the fact is that no one knows when the webkit will be out except them. It might be out sooner than we think! We shall see.
    02-23-10 04:43 PM
    Get opera mini. It works good for me when it comes to full web pages

02-23-10 04:57 PM
    I wouldnt get in any hurry. Arent AT&T users STILL waiting on a 5.0 for the 9000? and look how long its been on the market
    02-23-10 09:28 PM
    I think there aren't constant OS releases because there's nothing to fix. I'm still on my carrier's official .351 os. It works perfectly, no memory leaks a-la-Bold and a-la-javelin with their crappy 4.6 OS. I think the days of a dozen OS releases per week are over now with 5.0. We'll probably see more Apple-like updates, a couple times a year.

02-24-10 05:35 AM
    I think there aren't constant OS releases because there's nothing to fix. I'm still on my carrier's official .351 os. It works perfectly, no memory leaks a-la-Bold and a-la-javelin with their crappy 4.6 OS. I think the days of a dozen OS releases per week are over now with 5.0. We'll probably see more Apple-like updates, a couple times a year.

I think there is definitely less to fix on 5.0. My 9700 is working beautifully. I'd like to see them do something about the disappearing Apps World icon though...it is a nuisance even if it isn't a big deal.

And I don't want to get too much into the speculation of the new releases and when they're happening....I nearly lost my mind with the 9700!
    02-24-10 05:54 AM
    Very slightly off topic, but here in the UK BB's are very much being promoted to the consumer. The press and internet adverts are everywhere, and national TV commercials show young folks having a great time, all thanks to BB!

I have to say a 9700 has done nothing for my love life, but I am an old boy.

The other smartphones (gadget phones) mostly look childish to me, even if they do have better browsers.

02-24-10 06:15 AM
    Very slightly off topic, but here in the UK BB's are very much being promoted to the consumer. The press and internet adverts are everywhere, and national TV commercials show young folks having a great time, all thanks to BB!

I have to say a 9700 has done nothing for my love life, but I am an old boy.

The other smartphones (gadget phones) mostly look childish to me, even if they do have better browsers.

Aaawww, pick up a guitar, come over, sit somewhere at an outdoor cafe in the Village (wait 'til Spring!) and start singing Wild Mountain Thyme softly, as if to yourself. Trust me, it will take 30 minutes. Folks from home are as appealing here as Americans are to us across the pond!!! It's all about the accents!!!
    02-24-10 06:23 AM
    I use the BB browser, I have tried them all but find the blackberry browser good enough untill this new hopefully fast with bells and whistles BB browser is released to BB diehards. Everone around me owns somekind of new fangled phone with some crazy *** features. I have the chance to buy a HTC Kaiser brand new in the box, (2yrs old) I will buy this and put in on my shelf. Don't know much about it but when I checked it out on you tube I found out it is one powerfull device that still is very much up with the new devices made today. It's a window's based phone but I'm going to hold onto it. (you never know)
    Sorry for the ranting.

02-24-10 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD