One of the problems for BlackBerry users who are not in IT is getting access to Exchange. BIS just downgrades the experience. Now with so many smart phones licensing Active Sync and IT doesn't need to add a server or install software on the precious Exchange. Companies wanting to save extra cost or manage another device won't allow Blackberry devices.

This I think is another factor eroding the BlackBerry, wouldn't it make some sense to build into the BIS solution Active Sync capability then the device would communicate with the BIS and the BIS can do the heavy lifting.

I like the BlackBerry Express announcement except it requires the company and IT to agree to manage and install another server which most would not do because it would just add another thing to manage or maintain.

What are your thoughts?
    02-22-10 03:41 PM
    If the exchange systems support IMAP and SMTP authenication to the internet, there's no reason that BIS won't work for the average BIS user. BES is the preferred solution if the user needs calendar and contacts sync'ed.

BIS was never intended to the "heavy lifting" but rather BES was which is the reason for the extended cost and addtional licensing. I believe the new BISx is intended for get the market for those small Exchange companies that can't afford or need the full BES to have the additional features that aren't in BIS.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Activesync, many people believe that it's on it's way out and all the licensing you speak of is simply Microsoft marketing as if a organization is serious about mobile email, they go with BlackBerrys and BES since there is nothing better.
    02-23-10 09:37 AM
    If RIM did this, it would bring the additional functionality for the BIS users pretty much on par with other mobile device activesync and still give true push email with the "Blackberry experience". Up until the recent BESX announcement, I would have been surprised if RIM went this way with BIS, but now that the price point has been lowered I see no serious business barrier for them implementing it, perhaps it is just a question of time before they do so.

I dont see this detracting from large organisations opting for the full BES solution, there will still be a requirement for the encryption, security policies and remote control features that only BES offers.
    02-23-10 12:49 PM
    If the exchange systems support IMAP and SMTP authenication to the internet, there's no reason that BIS won't work for the average BIS user. BES is the preferred solution if the user needs calendar and contacts sync'ed.
    Except that if you are not in an organization, BES costs $25 a month MORE than Activesync. That's a pretty hefty upcharge. ($45 for corporate plan from the carrier, vs. $30 for standard data; and $20 for hosted BES vs $10 for hosted Exchange).
    03-02-10 03:17 PM
    One of the problems for BlackBerry users who are not in IT is getting access to Exchange. BIS just downgrades the experience. Now with so many smart phones licensing Active Sync and IT doesn't need to add a server or install software on the precious Exchange. Companies wanting to save extra cost or manage another device won't allow Blackberry devices.

This I think is another factor eroding the BlackBerry, wouldn't it make some sense to build into the BIS solution Active Sync capability then the device would communicate with the BIS and the BIS can do the heavy lifting.

I like the BlackBerry Express announcement except it requires the company and IT to agree to manage and install another server which most would not do because it would just add another thing to manage or maintain.

What are your thoughts?
    I totally agree with your view. OWA is blocked by my company.
    So, I should use 3rd party poor application with annual charge
    To synchronize company's exchange server.

I really wants to ask RIM, why don't you provide activesync?
    Because all other smartphone are providing activesync by
    those internal, so simple, function. Not by using many servers
    And complicated function.

Some time before, I mentioned in this site, this is/will be strong
    weak point to RIM. I really want RIM to provide activesync not only OWA.

In my company, BB user is minor. IPhone user is majority.
    Not only my company but also my country. All smartphone, in
    My country, have activesync function inside, not by using many
    and complicated server and service(like a BIS). So, those can
    Use company's email simply.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD