Situation:

Sister is at an Olympic event in Van

Happens to be pretty free flowing beer at an after party

lost her 2month old 9700 that was with Rogers

Now..she and i both have contacted Rogers...ths is what they said

first they blocked the sim

-I put Roblock on it..but by the time i found out from her...i dont think it worked..by searching the forums, I've learned that wiping the phone all 3rd party apps are dust

-she"ll/i will have to get a new phone(i got her the phone in the first place)

-they can block the imei if someone else uses it with a different sim on just there network

-they weren't to receptive on the goings on if a different sim/provider goes in it

-they were pretty sure that rim can block the pin

-has this happened to anyone else?
    -is what rogers say basically what actually happens?
    - is there any other to track it down

thanks

her smarter brother...i think ...heading to get another(cheaper bb)
    02-22-10 03:09 PM
    "IMO"; You are SOL my friend...Make her get her own phone next time so the penalty is her's and / or get a different sister!
    Last edited by jshuford; 02-22-10 at 04:19 PM.
    02-22-10 03:56 PM
    IF (big if) the IMEI block works, what does it gain you? That phone is gone for good. The new owner will just check the photo folders and ditch it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 05:38 PM
    You will be mad a few days but that will pass. Rogers or RIM will do nothing to get your phone back.

Hate to say it but just move on and forget about the lost/stolen phone.
    02-22-10 05:55 PM
    Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will return the phone, not everyone is a **** and steal it. I hope you attempted to phone it in the hopes that somebody would answer.
    02-22-10 06:15 PM
    I'm actually to scared to take my 9700 drinking. I've got a not as smart phone for that.
    02-22-10 06:18 PM
    thx for the info guys! much appreciated

oh believe me ....we have been phoning and pin it...

so basically what your saying is...someone has it, takes the sim out and uses on rogers...rogers still wont give a crap

and if they manage to get it to work on a different carrier..rogers or rim wont give a crap either

i have called rim and they were pretty vague on what they can do...ie don't really care
    but im thinking of calling the other carriers to see if they can do anything if it the imei or pin shows up on there network...any ideas

ps..and yes im currently shopping for a new sister
    02-22-10 07:22 PM
    I would be putting SmrtGuard on her next one and your own!

SmrtGuard :: Wireless Backup and Smartphone Security

I have just for that reason alone. You can wipe it and GPS track it.
    02-22-10 07:27 PM
    Well that sucks that they won't answer. If you blacklist the PIN it will never work again, but I'm not sure about the IMEI, I've heard carriers won't blacklist it so that it'll still work and they'll get money but I've also heard that the carrier will block it but it is still usable on other carriers. I've been unfortunate enough not to have been in this situation so I'm not sure.
    02-22-10 07:53 PM
    Man that sucks for sure. I was under the impression if you have insurance on your phone and it was lost that they replace it, but have to pay a deductible? I could have sworn that is what my rep told me.

02-23-10 01:04 AM
    Man that sucks for sure. I was under the impression if you have insurance on your phone and it was lost that they replace it, but have to pay a deductible? I could have sworn that is what my rep told me.

Too many people "claim" they lost or got their phone stolen so they came up with large deductable to help defray the costs. Too much insurance fraud so they have a choice in raising the costs where no one will buy it of keep the costs low and not pay as much.
    02-23-10 05:21 AM
    thx for the info guys! much appreciated

oh believe me ....we have been phoning and pin it...

so basically what your saying is...someone has it, takes the sim out and uses on rogers...rogers still wont give a crap

and if they manage to get it to work on a different carrier..rogers or rim wont give a crap either

i have called rim and they were pretty vague on what they can do...ie don't really care
    but im thinking of calling the other carriers to see if they can do anything if it the imei or pin shows up on there network...any ideas

ps..and yes im currently shopping for a new sister
    nope Rogers will not care... why would they? they wouldnt even know if that person is using it as you do not have to give rogers the IMEI... RIM can block the PIN tho that will prevent them from using it on the BB netword.. but this has to be dine via the carrier... so i would call rogers, ask for bb tech support, tell them you want the PIN blocked and that they can either do it or they can call rim to have it done... you may have a rep that will not know what he is talking about or he may know... depeneds on your luck... your choice is you want to pursue that... but i dont know if its really worth your time to be on the phone for hours trying to do that...
    02-23-10 08:11 AM
    one good thing about bell is the insurance they have.....$7/month it covers all physical damage and water damage and lost or stolen phone. All you gotta pay is $150 for a replacement...cheaper than buying it retail. =]
    02-23-10 11:06 AM
    Hope she had the lock enabled.

02-23-10 01:42 PM
    You need to publically post the stolen Blackberry's PIN so we can all PIN the device till they are sick of it!
    02-23-10 01:49 PM
    I would be putting SmrtGuard on her next one and your own!

SmrtGuard :: Wireless Backup and Smartphone Security

I have just for that reason alone. You can wipe it and GPS track it.
    True but once someone does a complete wipe all 3rd party apps are useless.
    02-23-10 01:54 PM
    True but once someone does a complete wipe all 3rd party apps are useless.
    yeah, you'd have to be quick. but as soon as i would lose my phone, id be using Smrtguard right away.
    02-23-10 02:06 PM
    I like the PIN broadcast idea!
    02-23-10 06:56 PM
    I like the PIN broadcast idea!
    I SECOND THAT!!! Blow up the Berry with BBM requests!!!! Too funny!

02-23-10 07:07 PM
    Problem with smrt guard is tht if u lock it, whoever has the phone can just do a battery pull

02-23-10 07:33 PM
    My sister is dumd to.

02-23-10 09:17 PM
    one good thing about bell is the insurance they have.....$7/month it covers all physical damage and water damage and lost or stolen phone. All you gotta pay is $150 for a replacement...cheaper than buying it retail. =]
    That's such a deal... Over a 3 year term you're paying $252 for the insurance, *and* you have to pay $150 for the device. That's $402 if you need to replace your phone during the length of your term. Thanks, but no.
    02-23-10 09:46 PM
    My sister is dumd to.

By the looks of your spelling, so are you.
    02-23-10 09:56 PM
    agreed lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-23-10 11:04 PM
    nice but you forgot Crosby he usually does start and the face off
    02-26-10 12:52 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD