With the partnership between Verizon and Skype does anyone know of any new production BB's with a front facing camera? I'm thinking maybe the S3, although I know early rumors haven't mentioned it on the device. I'm just thinking since the S3 will be LTE it will have better capabilities to have video chat.
    With rumors of the iPhone 4G having video chat and Skype on Verizon I just think RIM is gonna have to produce a device like this sometime in order to keep up...
    02-20-10 09:10 AM
    S3, maybe. However, it won't comply with Mike Lazaridis' recent statements regarding carrier bandwidth and how BlackBerrys are designed to not use much of it compared to the "bandwidth hogs" like the iPhone. Also keep in mind a large portion of RIM's demographic is business users that would have no use for any camera, never mind a front-facing one. Heck, they manufacture Bolds and Tours that have no camera at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 10:41 AM
    I agree with both of your points.

Since the S3 is more of a consumer demographic thou and it's said to be trying to compete against the Android handsets, along with the iPhone which it's been trying to compete with from the get go that's why I'm wondering if it's a possibility.

The point about the business user demographic thou I could see business's making use of a phone that could video conference and still have the security of email the iPhone doesn't currently have..

Althou you still have your main point about carrier bandwidth, looks like were SOL
    02-20-10 11:52 AM
    Since when is the S3 going to be LTE? There are no real specs for the phone, let alone it being an LTE phone. LTE is hardly going to be rolled out this year, so I doubt the S3 will support it.
    02-20-10 12:18 PM
    02-20-10 12:52 PM
    Sorry Snipperd017 I should've said....

Since the S3 is RUMORED to be LTE it will have better capabilites to have video chat.
    02-20-10 01:11 PM
    Well, don't get me wrong, Matty. Obviously there will be some people that have a use for a front facing camera. I just don't think it would be a priority for RIM.

02-20-10 02:12 PM
    I would actually think the business market would be MORE likely to adopt video chat technology. There's a lot of video conferencing going on now. Also, it seems like a medium to large company which provides devices for employees could make sure everyone is on a compatible platform. In the consumer market, it will depend a lot on third party apps and dumb chance as to whether the people you want to video chat with have the right hardware/software combos - more of a novelty.

02-20-10 02:23 PM
    Not true.
    BBleaks says the tmobile guys jumped the gun and it's actually a faceplate housing that enhances the led.

02-20-10 02:33 PM
    Hmmmm. I dunno. If that's a real pic, that's the ugliest message indicator LED I've ever seen. I can't imagine that's an "enhanced" LED. It looks exactly like the camera aperture.

02-20-10 06:19 PM
    What's the difference between a liquid lens and the ones they use now?
    02-21-10 11:11 AM
    02-21-10 11:26 AM
    it's definitely the LED. for one... if it weren't, then where IS the LED? second, it looks exactly how the curve LED really is, except for the outer light gray ring. there have been many complaints that the LED on the curve 2 is far from adequate regarding brightness when viewed head on, so them adjusting it makes perfect sense. definitely not a camera.
    02-21-10 06:45 PM
    Since when is the S3 going to be LTE? There are no real specs for the phone, let alone it being an LTE phone. LTE is hardly going to be rolled out this year, so I doubt the S3 will support it.
    Every reference to S3 had indicated that it will be LTE. And in the fall of 2010 VZW will have LTE in almost 30 markets. Your right about there being no specs, but this has been a very consistent rumor from several sources.

02-21-10 09:21 PM
    I would actually think the business market would be MORE likely to adopt video chat technology. There's a lot of video conferencing going on now. Also, it seems like a medium to large company which provides devices for employees could make sure everyone is on a compatible platform. In the consumer market, it will depend a lot on third party apps and dumb chance as to whether the people you want to video chat with have the right hardware/software combos - more of a novelty.

I disagree. The whole point of video conferences is the ability to show things other than just your face: things like slides, pi charts, graphs, etc... Not to mention, it's hard to imagine anyone sitting there for what can be a conference that's hours long, staring at their phone (most likely plugged in as well, for added discomfort). You might as well use a laptop for that. It's not like you'd go on these video conferences while out and about, especially with the inability to see where you're going most of the time.

Personally, when I think of front facing cameras, I think of teenagers taking self portraits, heh. But hey, who knows what RIM will do or consider...

Last edited by Masahiro; 02-21-10 at 10:48 PM.
    02-21-10 10:46 PM
    skype is not JUST a video calling app, it's at its roots a VOIP app, so I highly doubt any type of Skype app or partnership can imply video chat capabilities in any way.
    02-22-10 05:41 PM
    RIM seems pretty far behind compared to Apple, HTC, Google. I think doing the front video camera would be genius and a real groundbreaking thing for RIM. It's something I think they really need to do to step up their game.
    03-07-10 03:47 AM
    RIM seems pretty far behind compared to Apple, HTC, Google. I think doing the front video camera would be genius and a real groundbreaking thing for RIM. It's something I think they really need to do to step up their game.
    I disagree. If there was a list of features RIM needed to improve upon for their BlackBerrys, front-facing cameras would probably be near the bottom compared to things like the web browser, app storage space and a new OS. That's according to what gets posted on these forums (not saying I agree 100% with the list). Of course, you could argue that a front-facing camera really isn't that big of a deal to implement in theory (maybe... I'm no hardware engineer), and could mean easy points for RIM to score with the consumer, no matter how miniscule.
    03-07-10 04:46 AM
    Well, I know all of that is extremely important, but all of those things, such as the OS and Browser, are things that other phones already have and have well. I just think the front facing video camera is something that would really help them in the smartphone competition.
    03-08-10 04:58 PM
    It would definitely help them catch up to the bar..
    03-09-10 08:26 PM
    To me the front facing camera is a bad idea until they master the other consumer items they need to, like browser, widgets, etc. Somewhere on here one of the guys from Europe talked about having that and how it was all the rage for 6 months then quickly died out. He was saying about downright useless it really is when it comes to it.

Besides if S3 is LTE then they will be way ahead on that. We probably won't see 4g I Phone until 2011 or after.

03-10-10 06:39 AM
    It will be absolutely useless unless the carrier supports it. To do a data-intensive call would require them to setup a new price plan (they definitely won't let that go through for free) as well as new network infrastructure to support the feature.
    03-20-10 06:45 AM
    Video chat is gaining its popularity.At recent times many of the social media networking sites are inducing video chat.Many of the business ventures also use videos as an effective medium to connect with people.
    07-15-11 12:00 AM
    Video chat is gaining its popularity.At recent times many of the social media networking sites are inducing video chat.Many of the business ventures also use videos as an effective medium to connect with people.
    Video chat is a dealbreaker for me. Its practically a standard for iphones and android phones so it would be dumb of RIM to ignore it.
    08-28-11 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD