UPDATE #2 04/04/10

Hey y'all!

I just thought I'd share a theme with you. I recently fixed my Bold's left convenience key (which broke 3 days after my warranty expired...typical) and decided that I would update my theme to breathe even more new life into it. As I looked to re-download Plazmic after having formatted my computer for Windows 7, I noticed that it's now called Blackberry Theme Studio 5.0. After fiddling with the Composer, I said to myself, "What the heck, let's try some animation." Also with the advent of Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Series, what better way to start it off than with the fresh Zune look? What I did was I took some mock-ups of their phone's UI and gave it my own little twist. If the logos/pictures look a little grainy, it's because they are; I took them from a fairly low-resolution picture of Microsoft's mock-ups. When I have time, I will update this theme with custom images.

CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO OF IT IN ACTION

Instead of collecting donations, I realized this would be a good opportunity to ask everyone to help those in need, especially with the recent tragedy in Haiti. It requires a lot of resources to rebuild, and this is a charity I donate to that I'd like to bring to everyone's attention.

Save the Children Canada | Child Rights

If you prefer to take this opportunity to donate elsewhere, by all means! A little bit goes a long way (to kill the clich�, I have experienced this first-hand in collecting donations...just for donating loose change, i.e. pennies, nickels, dimes, etc., university students helped me in collecting over $150 CAD for the 30 Hour Famine from just three one-hour classes).

I'd like to thank:

• All of Crackberry nation for the informative blogs, helpful forums, and general fuel for my daily Blackberry needs.
    • 9of13 from the Pinstack forums for their wonderful tutorial.
    • Microsoft for their (finally) inventive UI design idea. Phone, Browser, Xbox Live, Connections, Music, Maps, Calculator, Clock, and Settings icons, plus the Zegoe font are Microsoft's property and I take no ownership of them whatsoever.
    • RIM. For their awesome phones. Duh.
    • Last but certainly not least God, for...um, well...everything.

This is my first theme, so please feel free to critique, flame, give suggestions, or fall head over heels in love. Please be careful not to hurt yourself if you choose to do more than one of the above . Enjoy!

----------------------------------------
    Update:

OTA links are up! I've also thought about some possible additions/edits:

• Lock screen - You can be honest...it's very plain and boring right now. I want it to look like the actual Windows Phone 7 Series screen, with the GIANT digital clock and date, but haven't had time for that yet (any suggestions welcome!).
    • Today Text location - I know some of you get 2000 e-mails a day, compared to my 4 or 5, so I'm guessing it might flood your home screen, making it very ugly. I'll try to conjure up another rendition when I have time.
    • Custom Menu icons - Well, exactly as I put it.

God bless!

Update: I've been in the time-wasting mode (instead of studying...stupid me) and I've updated my theme a little bit.

There are several changes in this next build of my theme:

• Icons have been refined, and aren't low-resolution copies anymore
    • People icon has been changed to Windows Live Messenger icon
    • BBM icon has been added above Web
    • There is now a settings column to the left of the media column, and underneath that are profiles and connections
    • Black background has been added for the battery/time bar at the top
    • Navigation to pictures doesn't cut all the rest of the icons out at the top from the screen
    • Some navigation has been changed, to prevent accidental movement from, let's say, the settings screen all the way to the BBM icon

What remains unchanged:

• Pictures icon...haven't gotten around to that yet

If anybody can tell me why Blackberry Theme Studio 5.0 fails to let me change the home screen profiles banner icon, that would be great. It gives me an 'undefined' error in Theme Builder. I reverted back to PLazmic 4.7 on my laptop and it's fine. This has been tested on 5.0.0.464 and works great.

God bless!
    Update:

Yo!

Just a tiny little update here, with a special little announcement...

The 7Series theme is now available for the Curve 8900! You guys/gals can thank the presence of the gf for that .

Whoo! This also along with a completely new Pictures icon, which uses the product image of one of Umbra's picture albums(property of Umbra, which by the way is an awesome company for framing). I think it looks cool. For now, I have given up on the Media section (the suggestion was made for inserting something like ringtones into it) because in doing so I would have to sacrifice the profiles icon, which I think is much more important for easy access. This is due to a bug in Blackberry Theme Studio 5.0. This reminds me of Oldversion.com's motto: Because newer isn't always better. For now, there will be only one link for the Bold; although it is made for 4.6, it works perfectly on 5.0. Once again, tested on 5.0.0.464.

I'd also like to thank Xonz for his awesome .464 hybrid. Using it, I now begin with 26MB instead of 10MB, and don't have to soft reboot every hour. I used it for a day today, and it is amazing. Viigo, Facebook, GMaps all running at the same time, all known memory hogs, and ran without a hitch. Even the Blackberry Browser is fast, and there is minimal clock icon waiting. I think the lowest memory I got to was 10MB. THANK YOU!

Remember, please take this chance to donate to either the charity listed above, or to one of your choice!

OTA Download for Bold 9000
    OTA Download for Curve 8900

Update:

...A picture's worth a thousand words, no? How about I let you have a looksie yourself? Thank you for your patience, encouragement, suggestions, and support! For those of you still waiting, it will not have been in vain!

Note: If the Games icon doesn't work, it's not you - it actually doesn't work. I'm thinking about what to do with it (I can't seem to find a way to direct buttons into folders...), but for now you can brag to all your friends about your new WinBerry Bold 7Series. For those of you who like the old version better, I've left the link above.

For those of you wondering what those pictures on the People icon are of, they are the Xbox Live avatars of my friends and me. As you can see, they are tr�s, tr�s silly.

Theme has only been tested on 5.0. There have been reports of things such as the Pictures icon not working in 4.6, but I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet.

Remember: please take the time to donate to either Save the Children (read original post) or a charity of your choice! If you have time to download a theme, you have no excuse! Small coins to bills, everything counts, trust me. Spread the Love.

OTA Download for Bold 9000

OTA Download for 8900, 9700, 8500 coming soon!
    Update:

Hello again! Sorry for the delay, I had papers and midterms the past busy couple weeks so I couldn't roll out another update just yet!

So, after seeing a number of requests for custom tiles...that's right. This does warrant a fist pump, for those of you who are so inclined. I actually finished this last week (while writing my paper, of course ) but I wanted to test it out for at least a week before unveiling it. There are three of 'em. One thing to note about the custom tiles is that the borders don't highlight in white; however, for icons that change focus it actually looks very neat, but unchanging icons like Opera and Bolt may make it a little more tricky to navigate. Keep in mind, however, that I don't have any previous .svg training (for any coding for that matter) so if you can help me learn, I promise to improve the theme as much as I can to your liking!

Update: Custom tiles now have selection boxes around them!

Also gone is the Xbox Live tile - I thought it looked cool, but unfortunately I couldn't find any use for it (with some...urging from you ) since there doesn't seem to be a directly link from the home screen to any of the folders. And yes...the BBM tile has returned to by popular demand. I have kept the link for the non-Custom tile version above for the ones who don't need custom tiles.

And without further ado, here they are, for 8900 just in time for Easter.

OTA Download for Bold 9000 [Custom Tiles]
    OTA Download for 8900, 9600, 9700 [Custom Tiles]
    OTA Download for 8500 in the planning stages!

Note: 8900 and 9700 were tested on a 5.0 emulator. 9600 has not been tested, but has been assumed to run fine due to it having the same resolution as the aforementioned two phones. 8500 will be released in tandem with the mini version; it will be two birds with one stone for me because I will be working with smaller resolution images anyway.

Please have a wonderful Easter weekend! God bless you!

Last edited by Snoopster J; 04-04-10 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Every edit is a +1 for awesome
    02-18-10 08:17 PM
    Looks nice! Will the theme be available for 5.0?
    02-18-10 08:26 PM
    Thanks . Yup, I'm on 5.0.0.464 right now, and it runs beautifully. Not sure what difference there will be between 4.6 and 5.0, but the Theme Studio lets me output either one, so I'll put both links up for download.
    02-18-10 08:30 PM
    Thanks . Yup, I'm on 5.0.0.464 right now, and it runs beautifully. Not sure what difference there will be between 4.6 and 5.0, but the Theme Studio lets me output either one, so I'll put both links up for download.
    Awesome! I'm running 5.0.0.411 right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 08:33 PM
    9700 please
    02-18-10 08:38 PM
    9700 please
    Sorry artheman, at the moment it's only available for 9000 users (it's for personal use, after all!). However, I will look to making themes for other phones as well, seeing as the 9700 is my phone's younger, smaller sibling, and my girlfriend has an 8900. Once you go Black you never go back
    02-18-10 09:34 PM
    Looks very different. Will check it out.
    Thanks for sharing!
    02-19-10 08:15 AM
    This is by far the most interesting user interface that I have seen. Dude keep it the hella good work!
    02-19-10 05:32 PM
    Loving this so much, and it's going to be so interesting if you really flesh it out (add more options).

I would love to see the following though:
    - Profiles, Options, Manage Connections, Weather slot, BBM
    - Adding a bit more to the Media section (Ring tones, video camera perhaps?)
    - I think a black banner to where the clock/battery would be better, as the battery icon overlaps the pictures. I personally don't think it looks great.

Keep up the great work!

02-19-10 07:51 PM
    Looks very different. Will check it out.
    Thanks for sharing!
    My pleasure!

This is by far the most interesting user interface that I have seen. Dude keep it the hella good work!
    I'm flattered. I will, and I'm glad you like it!

Loving this so much, and it's going to be so interesting if you really flesh it out (add more options).

I would love to see the following though:
    - Profiles, Options, Manage Connections, Weather slot, BBM
    - Adding a bit more to the Media section (Ring tones, video camera perhaps?)
    - I think a black banner to where the clock/battery would be better, as the battery icon overlaps the pictures. I personally don't think it looks great.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you, and check the update (in red for the newest build) . Like I said in the update, if someone can tell me why Blackberry Theme Studio 5.0 won't let me change the profiles icon for the home screen, that would be wonderful.
    02-21-10 02:52 AM
    Very original theme and extremely fast too - I like it - thx for making it!
    But on my Bold 9000, running OS 4.6, the pictures icon doesn't do anything ... (I'm using the latest build)?
    Arnie

02-21-10 08:51 AM
    Very original theme and extremely fast too - I like it - thx for making it!
    But on my Bold 9000, running OS 4.6, the pictures icon doesn't do anything ... (I'm using the latest build)?
    Arnie

Hey Arnie,

I'm so sorry that's the case! Which exact OS are you running? Perhaps other forum members will be able to help you, as I myself did not encounter this problem. Have you tried a soft reset? Or a battery pull? Perhaps a re-installation of the theme?

On another note, the theme has been updated! Read the red writing for the deets! Enjoy!
    02-24-10 01:03 AM
    I'll try re-installing with a battery pull - thanks for your help!

No, nothing doing. Nothing happens when I select the Pictures icon - is there anyone running the Bold 9000 version on OS 4.6 who can report that it works for them, or who can advise?
    Last edited by arnie27; 02-24-10 at 03:52 AM.
    02-24-10 02:58 AM
    Good stuff so far. I love the new picture for the Picture icon! With that being said, I think both the BBM and Browser icons could use a new pic as well, similar to the Picture icon. What do you think?

02-24-10 03:19 AM
    Interesting theme...it would be much better if you can make the icons smaller and customizable ? For such a small screen on the bold..the big icons just look a little weird. But over all I like it. It doesn't lag or anything! keep up the good job... Looking forward to the future revisions.

02-24-10 04:07 AM
    Wow, beautiful. Thank you so much!

02-24-10 08:32 AM
    9700 please
    The 8900 version will run on the 9700 as long as your running OS5.0
    02-24-10 12:38 PM

No, nothing doing. Nothing happens when I select the Pictures icon - is there anyone running the Bold 9000 version on OS 4.6 who can report that it works for them, or who can advise?
    That is very strange. If it were something with the theme, then other users would have noticed it also (this is not in defense of my theme, it's just the manner of which themes in Plazmic is made). I am no expert, but I would suspect that your OS is the culprit. can you access Pictures from the actual menu screen? If you can't, then you'll know

Good stuff so far. I love the new picture for the Picture icon! With that being said, I think both the BBM and Browser icons could use a new pic as well, similar to the Picture icon. What do you think?
    Thanks so much Haha, I feel the very same way! Except, I'm still looking for inspiration for those icons. Originally I wanted to keep it minimalist, shown by the Web icon, but as icons are added it will get quite hard to distinguish between them. I'll keep scrounging for ideas; in the meantime, shoot me some suggestions please!

Interesting theme...it would be much better if you can make the icons smaller and customizable ? For such a small screen on the bold..the big icons just look a little weird. But over all I like it. It doesn't lag or anything! keep up the good job... Looking forward to the future revisions.
    That is a very good point - I have actually thought about that myself. The thing is, when I originally created the theme I just wanted a cool layout that would not interfere with the original menu that I was already used to. It was more of a "add to the form, don't change the function" sort of thing. Also, the big icons would not transfer well into the smaller icon menu. However, when I have time for the next big revision (maybe after midterms...ugga...) I will look into that. It's funny because I originally started the 7Series by fitting all the icons, in small form, perfectly onto the screen. I then realized I was wasting too much of the screen's real estate, so I doubled the size. Now there's a vertical transition as well as a horizontal transition between icons, whereas before there was only a horizontal. Once again thanks for the suggestions, I will take them into account!

Wow, beautiful. Thank you so much!
    It is my greatest pleasure.

The 8900 version will run on the 9700 as long as your running OS5.0
    Thanks for the swift answer! I actually wasn't sure myself (other than of the same screen resolutions), but now I am! Doesn't the 9700 only run on 5.0?
    Last edited by Snoopster J; 02-24-10 at 02:32 PM.
    02-24-10 02:21 PM
    Can't wait for the actual phone.
    02-24-10 09:55 PM

I'm having the same problem with the Curve 8900 version on OS 4.6. Tried a reinstall and battery pull but no success...
    02-27-10 03:57 PM

Feedback: The problem was running it on OS 4.6. When I upgraded to OS 5, the 'Pictures' icon suddenly came alive...
    03-02-10 08:37 AM
    Any new updates?

03-16-10 10:51 PM
    Great work keep it up! Thanks now my BB BOLD looks like 7 now.
    03-17-10 10:17 AM
    Hey y'all, thanks for all your encouragement, support, and suggestions. I've got two midterms to wrap up this week, but I've got a number of ideas that I'll start going crazy on this weekend. If there's one thing I've learned, it's priorities!

Some things I have on the list include fixing it up properly for those still on 4.6, and a touch-up on the original unreleased "mini" version that was requested. I'm also going to try to figure out a clever way around the hidden today screen when the mail icon is highlighted; calendar works great, but if you have a new e-mail and you select the mail icon, you've got this ugly text on top of everything. Since the WP7S dev kit is out now (along with the emulator) I've been thinking about going through some of it and taking a look at what will be in the actual product, and also what I can add to the theme. I'm also looking forward to porting it to the other phones also.

However, I still very much appreciate your patience.

Have an awesome week!
    Snoopster J
    03-22-10 05:51 PM
    There's a surprise waiting in the original post for y'all...
    03-27-10 06:39 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD