... flip phone and have not seen very many of them lately. I wonder if they will stop being made, once the smart phone completes the takeover of course.
    02-18-10 03:47 PM
    i saw someone with one the other day.

but i think it was a pretty stupid idea. lol
    02-18-10 03:51 PM
    Highly doubtful. There will always be good reasons for not having an exposed
    screen. There are many people and uses that make the flip phone feasible.
    02-18-10 03:55 PM
    are we talking BB flip phone because I think in general regular flip phones are a dying breed.
    02-18-10 03:56 PM
    Its all about the slides and the candy bars now
    02-18-10 03:57 PM
    Flip phones in general?

I still are them all over the place around these parts...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 04:17 PM
    Flip phones in general?

I still are them all over the place around these parts...

I hardly see anyone with them anymore.....
    02-18-10 04:20 PM
    I see tons of them....I don't see them dying anytime soon. There are too many people who just want a phone only. Now as far as anyone 30 yrs old and under goes, all bets are off
    02-18-10 04:33 PM
    I still see plenty of people with flip phones.

I just saw my friend Fred Flintstone with one the other day.
    02-18-10 04:33 PM
    before I got into smartphones all I used was a flip phone
    02-18-10 04:39 PM
    I see lots of friends with older beat up flip phones (Krzr, razr, then samsungs lol), but not so much anymore. The 8220/8230.. well.. I didn't like it, haven't found many that do, so blackberry flip phones are probably out, but in general I think it'll take a bit to fully go out.
    02-18-10 05:17 PM
    I laf when I see someone with a flip phone

02-18-10 05:18 PM
    I used the most powerful flip phone in the world, the BlackBerry Pearl Flip!!! It was alright...

02-18-10 05:18 PM
    I liked the flip. I had it, and would have kept it until my upgrade date in July if it hadn't taken and unfortunate plunge into a toilet. The only things that made me choose a different phone as a replacement was that Verizon offers the 8530 in purple, and it has OS 5. (Plus more memory.)

Otherwise I would have stuck with the Flip.
    02-18-10 05:22 PM
    I think its mostly to do with the whole open trend with cellphones. Since the trend with most phone manufacturers moving more towards the candy bar and ones with qwerty the flip is just out of phase. So yea i think its dying unless some company comes with an innovative idea towards flip phones such as dual LCD tpuchscreens maybe IDK.
    02-18-10 05:30 PM
    there are some major advantages of flip phones over qwerty or slide out or large touch screen devices.

big screens, large buttons, protected screens, battery saving when lid is shut. security of a shut lid.

personally i wouldn't want a flip phone but i couldn't see my grandma using anything else
    02-18-10 05:36 PM
    When I visited the AT&T and Verizon stores recently, I only saw 2 flip phones on display and available at each store. There are more available online, but they are not promoted in the stores. Candy bars and sliders are definitely more popular in the stores.
    02-18-10 05:44 PM
    I know my daughter picked the Pearl Flip 8220 because it was a flip - she didn't want a candy bar style BB.
    02-18-10 06:15 PM
    I loved my Pearl Flip. It was a great beginner Blackberry.
    02-18-10 06:18 PM
    Before i entered thee BB world; I always had a flip phone. Now I dont remember y i always used them. Buhh, I'll have to aqree that i dont see them much anymore.
    02-18-10 06:20 PM
    Hmm, I don't know - I dislike flip phones, so yeah, I kind of hope they're dead or dying. Let's make the keyboard touch the screen - a recipe for a smeary mess if you ask me. I've only had two flip phones, ever, and I'll never have one again.

02-18-10 06:49 PM
    Hmm, I don't know - I dislike flip phones, so yeah, I kind of hope they're dead or dying. Let's make the keyboard touch the screen - a recipe for a smeary mess if you ask me. I've only had two flip phones, ever, and I'll never have one again.

Never say never...I remember when I first got a flip I said I'd never get a non flip again. Everything trends in and out

02-18-10 08:29 PM
    Flip phones have a lot of advantages for many people. I used to use only flip phones because I could pocket them without worrying about accidentally dialing, and because all the important stuff was inside the fold and protected. In general, they are more compact, nore durable, and easier to handle than other formats. So, I think they still have their place and I still see a LOT of people using them.

02-18-10 10:44 PM
    out of vogue.
    02-19-10 12:44 AM
    I work at a rec center and see a WIDE range of people.

For the parents who only use their phone to call their kids, their work and chat non-stop with their mom/dad/brother/sister friend, a solid 75% of them use simple flip phones.

And theres MILLIONS of people across the world who fit that bill, so no, the flip phone is not dead yet.

Cold hearted reality, most of the younger people (younger than 40) use smartphones of some form or another because we view the benefits of a smartphone as NEEDS not WANTS. The flip phone will die off when the generation people who view the smartphone perks as WANTS NOT NEEDS die off themselves.
    02-19-10 01:10 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD