I really do not see how everyone has been claiming that Threaded SMS is the best part of 5.0.. To me it is the weakest and most useless part.. When sending close to a hundred texts to one contact a day it seriously slows down the Threaded SMS and in some cases freezes till I get another text.. Other than that 5.0 has been perfect.
    02-18-10 11:41 AM
    i have had no problem on 5.0.419 on threaded SMS. I do A LOT of text per day and threaded messaging is the best thing that ever hit Blackberry
    02-18-10 12:01 PM
    Well, I certainly wouldn't dub it the greatest of the latest OS, that particular award, in my humble opinion goes to the new today screen. I've been lusting after that since-before-jesus-came. Speaking of lust, though, you'll have to admit that your experience isn't the norm. If I were to guess, I would say that you have just recently met a new inamorata, and that you are madly infatuated with her, to the point of a loss of appetite, insomnia, and other symptoms of an impassioned mind. But time usually cools anyone's ardor, and I shouldn't doubt that it would be the same in your case. I don't think even the former mayor of Detroit who's notion of having a city job was sending erotic and steamy messages to his Chief of Staff - admittedly better looking than Monica Lewinsky - can compete with your 100 messages to the same contact in one day. I am sure in time you will come to appreciate that while threaded messaging may not be the best that 5.0 has to offer, it is nonetheless, a handy enhancement over the prior status. It is nice having the entire discourse spread out in an instantly accessible screen. Real handy. It doesn't hurt also, that a small picture of the contact is visible at all times at the left corner of the screen. It is sad but true that some men do occasionally forget what their girlfriends look like, and need the constant reminder. And of course, the ability to delete the entire text with one action cannot be ridiculed.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-18-10 at 12:22 PM.
    02-18-10 12:20 PM
    Well, I certainly wouldn't dub it the greatest of the latest OS, that particular award, in my humble opinion goes to the new today screen. I've been lusting after that since-before-jesus-came. Speaking of lust, though, you'll have to admit that your experience isn't the norm. If I were to guess, I would say that you have just recently met a new inamorata, and that you are madly infatuated with her, to the point of a loss of appetite, insomnia, and other symptoms of an impassioned mind. But time usually cools anyone's ardor, and I shouldn't doubt that it would be the same in your case. I don't think even the former mayor of Detroit who's notion of having a city job was sending erotic and steamy messages to his Chief of Staff - admittedly better looking than Monica Lewinsky - can compete with your 100 messages to the same contact in one day. I am sure in time you will come to appreciate that while threaded messaging may not be the best that 5.0 has to offer, it is nonetheless, a handy enhancement over the prior status. It is nice having the entire discourse spread out in an instantly accessible screen. Real handy. It doesn't hurt also, that a small picture of the contact is visible at all times at the left corner of the screen. It is sad but true that some men do occasionally forget what their girlfriends look like, and need the constant reminder. And of course, the ability to delete the entire text with one action cannot be ridiculed.
    I do 100 a day to a few different people... It slows the thing down, granted I have to delete them after about 15 when I can no longer get back in to read or reply... os 5 seems to be a joke thus far and likely will remain as such until they make some drastic changes... "Press R to reply"??? come on. that isnt threaded sms, that is showing me all of my messages in the same place and requiring me to jump through a hoop to make a reply, oh but I dont always have to, only when it is a new message that has arrived. Threaded sms was pretty good on 230, few bugs but no press r to reply...
    02-18-10 12:39 PM
    I have had 5.0 since the early leaks and have had zero problems with it the entire time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 12:54 PM
    I am sure in time you will come to appreciate that while threaded messaging may not be the best that 5.0 has to offer, it is nonetheless, a handy enhancement over the prior status. It is nice having the entire discourse spread out in an instantly accessible screen. Real handy. It doesn't hurt also, that a small picture of the contact is visible at all times at the left corner of the screen. It is sad but true that some men do occasionally forget what their girlfriends look like, and need the constant reminder. And of course, the ability to delete the entire text with one action cannot be ridiculed.
    Yes, threaded SMS is good in theory and I said 5.0 has been almost perfect otherwise.. but threaded SMS is broken. It actually slows my response time down alot. Threaded SMS seems to be severely dumbed down and seems to be geared more towards social users than people who love it for the professional aspects. They should have had an option to not use it so that social users can have the dumbed down threaded SMS and others can have the "classic version"...
    02-18-10 04:02 PM
    Let's not forget the ability to preview a new message that comes in if it happens while you are typing one out. That is incredibly useful...for me.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-18-10 04:47 PM
    Somewhere there is a university freshman book club that is missing its obligatory bloviating pedantic narcist.

02-18-10 05:11 PM
    Yes, threaded SMS is good in theory and I said 5.0 has been almost perfect otherwise.. but threaded SMS is broken. It actually slows my response time down alot. Threaded SMS seems to be severely dumbed down and seems to be geared more towards social users than people who love it for the professional aspects. They should have had an option to not use it so that social users can have the dumbed down threaded SMS and others can have the "classic version"...
    Good point. It would have been prudent to include a disabling option for those who are not enamored with threaded messaging. But, honestly, if it came down to having one or the other, I think it is an evolution from the regular 'unthreaded' texting. It is also likely that as they tighten up the OS and release subsequent ones, the problems you've had thus far will be eliminated.
    02-18-10 05:37 PM
    Hahaha. 'dumbed down'? You're having a hard time managing now that your SMS is all in one place and as opposed to just admitting that you're the one fighting change, it's clearly the system that's 'dumbed down'.

I'll continue to be a smart user and adapt to change while the dinosaurs get left in the past talking about 'the good ol' days, when each text had it's own spot in my inbox! I had to scroll uphill, BOTH WAYS, just to find a particular message!'
    02-18-10 05:49 PM
    Threaded SMS is certainly one of the more visible changes and its probably just a matter of preference but there are loads of "below the surface" changes that help with start up speed etc. Aren't you atleast happy with those? I can't imagine someone preferring a 9630 that takes ten minutes to reboot as opposed to one that's maybe five minutes! 5.0 brings a lot more than just an SMS redesign!

02-18-10 10:11 PM
    I have 5.0.484 up from 419 and not any problems with threaded sms. I think its the best thing that came to sms. What ***** would want to have a bunch of texts from the same person taking up space instead of having them all in one. As for the ******* crying and complaining about 5.0 and whining like bitches that they don't like threaded text, if you don't like it get a different phone ! No one cares to hear you cry.

02-18-10 11:51 PM
    Hahaha. 'dumbed down'? You're having a hard time managing now that your SMS is all in one place and as opposed to just admitting that you're the one fighting change, it's clearly the system that's 'dumbed down'.

I'll continue to be a smart user and adapt to change while the dinosaurs get left in the past talking about 'the good ol' days, when each text had it's own spot in my inbox! I had to scroll uphill, BOTH WAYS, just to find a particular message!'
    I know. This is funny. People will ***** about anything.

02-19-10 03:27 AM
    Good point. It would have been prudent to include a disabling option for those who are not enamored with threaded messaging. But, honestly, if it came down to having one or the other, I think it is an evolution from the regular 'unthreaded' texting. It is also likely that as they tighten up the OS and release subsequent ones, the problems you've had thus far will be eliminated.
    At least you are smart enough to understand what I'm trying to say. Others seem to be in defense mode ready to defend their precious.... I do hope they fix it maybe for Tour 2 which I would buy of course. If they had the option to maybe see day/time per text that would help some as well.. For some of us seeing date and time is important. (I know about ALT+S, but it would have been better as an option). My main gripe is that when sending 100+ texts per contact it seriously bogs down Threaded Messaging as Syco54645 pointed out as well. Not all of us can simply delete our convo and carry on.. It has to be backed up etc... So although it's a great idea, it is broken and to me and several others, it is not the best part of 5.0.
    To GlitchZero: I am no dinosaur... I spend thousands on new tech.. I have never bought a computer.. My last build was AMD quad with 16 gig memory and 6 TB HD space.. I play vid games like crazy, but I am also a professional. I need need my BB to stay professional as well...
    02-19-10 06:34 AM
    At least you are smart enough to understand what I'm trying to say. Others seem to be in defense mode ready to defend their precious.... I do hope they fix it maybe for Tour 2 which I would buy of course. If they had the option to maybe see day/time per text that would help some as well.. For some of us seeing date and time is important. (I know about ALT+S, but it would have been better as an option). My main gripe is that when sending 100+ texts per contact it seriously bogs down Threaded Messaging as Syco54645 pointed out as well. Not all of us can simply delete our convo and carry on.. It has to be backed up etc... So although it's a great idea, it is broken and to me and several others, it is not the best part of 5.0.
    To GlitchZero: I am no dinosaur... I spend thousands on new tech.. I have never bought a computer.. My last build was AMD quad with 16 gig memory and 6 TB HD space.. I play vid games like crazy, but I am also a professional. I need need my BB to stay professional as well...
    with Threaded SMS, you do see the time and day the Text were sent.... Not sure on Sprints, but I know I can see the time and dates of each text on Verizon. To see the time and date of a text, just scroll up to the text you want and the time and date is listed on top of the phone.
    02-19-10 06:43 AM
    with Threaded SMS, you do see the time and day the Text were sent.... Not sure on Sprints, but I know I can see the time and dates of each text on Verizon. To see the time and date of a text, just scroll up to the text you want and the time and date is listed on top of the phone.
    I was referring to more of the view type when you press Alt+S, as an option, not having to press Alt+S.
    02-19-10 08:10 AM
    Well, I certainly wouldn't dub it the greatest of the latest OS, that particular award, in my humble opinion goes to the new today screen. I've been lusting after that since-before-jesus-came...
    What is the "today screen" you are referring to? In the calendar?
    02-19-10 08:15 AM
    I have 5.0.484 up from 419 and not any problems with threaded sms. I think its the best thing that came to sms. What ***** would want to have a bunch of texts from the same person taking up space instead of having them all in one. As for the ******* crying and complaining about 5.0 and whining like bitches that they don't like threaded text, if you don't like it get a different phone ! No one cares to hear you cry.
    Obviously not a bright one... If you read, you would see I said 5.0 was great but threaded SMS is broken to those who use it on a professional level and send over 100+ texts per contact per day... I also stated the idea of Threaded SMS was great.. but you would have had to read and comprehend to have noticed I said stated such.. There was no whining... it was a observation from someone who uses his BB more in a day than some use in a month...
    02-19-10 08:18 AM
    What is the "today screen" you are referring to? In the calendar?
    No, there's a today screen that shows, at a glance on your home screen, without doing anything else, any unchecked messages, pending calendar appointments and the 'phone.' It is really handy, whether you just awoke and wanted to see what your day holds with one quick glance at the phone, or whether you just wanted to quickly see any missed e-mails without having to access the messages folder. Or even to see what appointment are in the offing as the day progresses. In fact, like the name implies, it is a screen that shows you everything going on 'today.' It used to be available only through third-party themes. Now it is native to the 5.0 OS.

Quickest way to set your home screen to the today screen is to press the BB menu button while on your home screen (the button with the Blackberry logo). If necessary, press it again until you see a scrolling menu. When the menu appears, select --> Options --> Layout --> Today. When you go back to the home screen, you will see the changes.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-19-10 at 08:48 AM.
    02-19-10 08:41 AM
    Both .419 and .484 have odd quirks with the threaded SMS that cause freezing and temporarily lost messages. The easy fix is to go into the menu and start a new SMS to the contact and you'll be able to get back into (frozen) thread.

Threaded SMS in .230 was better, but not without it's quirks as well.
    02-19-10 09:19 AM
    As a professional I'd never do business using text messaging.
    02-19-10 09:21 AM
    Seriously.

AS for the OP, just go back to 4.7 or start using email like the rest of us professionals.
    02-19-10 09:30 AM
    X2

Im a professional who texts the same person 100X a day, actually more then one person! I'M IMPORTANT DAMN IT! MORE IMPORTANT THEN YOU!

E-mail is great for professional conversations.
    02-19-10 09:31 AM
    Threaded SMS has been awesome for me, except for the fact that it does not tell me how long ago someone sent me a specific text. When I scroll up in the thread, instead of telling me how long the person sent me the last message it always says "one minute ago". Weird right?
    02-19-10 09:40 AM
    Threaded SMS has been awesome for me, except for the fact that it does not tell me how long ago someone sent me a specific text. When I scroll up in the thread, instead of telling me how long the person sent me the last message it always says "one minute ago". Weird right?
    Really? That's really weird; I am having a totally different experience. As I scroll up, it shows the time and day each message was sent during the week. If the messages are older than the current week, it displays a full date, and time which is awesome.
    02-19-10 09:50 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD