Amazon is today adding BlackBerrys to its stable of Kindle-compatible devices and also taking the opportunity to remind us that it's working hard on Mac and iPad versions of its software. The app is a freebie download for Americans (sadly it's not international just yet) and should offer the same functionality as its PC and iPhone brethren -- namely automatic syncing via Whispersync and what Amazon hopes will be a seamless reading experience from one device to the next. There's also an in-app book store, as well as the ability to create bookmarks and view annotations from other portable Kindle readers. Go download it at the Amazon link if you care, or move right along if you don't.

Kindle for BlackBerry e-reader app now available -- Engadget
    02-18-10 07:26 AM
    Straight off Engadget. Good one.
    Is anyone really gonna read books on a screen as small as the blackberry though...?
    02-18-10 07:28 AM
    Is anyone really gonna read books on a screen as small as the blackberry though...?
    Personally? no. But there have been alot of requests for it, since the release of the Storm.
    02-18-10 07:30 AM
    Got the email from them this am and downloaded. App works as advertised, just like the windows and iphone version.
    I don't intend on reading entire books on my 8900 but I do have several reference books on my kindle that I am now looking forward to having in my pocket.
    This app won't replace my kindle but it is a good companion to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 07:50 AM
    I've been reading on portable devices for years (started with MobiPocket on my Casio BE-300). The small screen size doesn't bother me - I have even read entire novels on my Dell Axim and back when I had my 8830. If I had an 81xx series, I might think differently, but the size of the 8830 and Tour screens are fine for me.

I now have a Kindle and read all the time on it. I don't see this app replacing my Kindle, or using this as my primary reader, but having the ability to continue reading a book even when I don't have the Kindle with me is a great option. Since the Kindle and BB app sync with Amazon, I'll be right where I left off when I switch devices.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-18-10 07:56 AM
    So in answer to my question, "yes, they are" - I can see the benefits from the point of view of reference material, i'd never considered it that way as I read books mainly for pleasure and also generally as a break from looking at screens.
    02-18-10 08:01 AM
    Nice - just converted all my old .lit files over to .prc.
    02-18-10 08:57 AM
    Just got it and downloaded a sample chapter to test it out. Storefront is nice, clean and easy to use, fast. I've got a 9700 so my screen is larger than some BBs but the touchscreen ones are probably much nicer for this app. The text is easy enough to read on the 9700 though. Lots of classics and such for free or cheap as well. I had not thought about reference books but that's a great idea.

It's certainly not going to replace my physical books (a full size Kindle wouldn't for me either) but it's a nice option to have when I'm waiting around somewhere or to read during a lunch break.
    02-18-10 09:23 AM
    I've been reading books on my phone for a year now. I had Ereader for my old Windows Mobile Phones (HTC 6800 and Omnia) and now I have it for my Tour. I don't have a problem with the small screen and I like the fact that I can read pages anywhere without having to carry another device or book. I've probably read about 10 books on my Tour since getting it in August. Ereader was nice but the books were sometimes expensive, especially for new releases ($20).

The Kindle app is nice because pretty much all the books are now $9.99, even new releases. I just purchased Steven King's Under the Dome and I like the interface of the app.
    02-18-10 10:31 AM
    Why are there so many threads about this sh�t?? Goddamn so annoying!!
    02-18-10 10:47 AM
    Why are there so many threads about this sh�t?? Goddamn so annoying!!
    Well Mr Whiney Pants, could it be that the posts were in various other sections and the mods moved them all to one central location?
    02-18-10 11:51 AM
    I'd be willing to bet over a 3rd of all male blackberry owner have watched prOn on their phones despite the screensize~

I rarely read books on my fone because I can usually find something to watch..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 02:03 PM
    Granted I don't sit down to read an entire book on my Berry, however it is nice while commuting on the train (which I do daily) or waiting in a doctor's lobby etc.. to read a few pages to pass the time away.

And since it syncs with my Kindle, it will pick up right where I left off.
    02-18-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD