Kindle for BlackBerry

Read Kindle Books on Your BlackBerry

* Get the best reading experience available on your BlackBerry. No Kindle required
    * Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you
    * Automatically synchronizes your last page read and annotations between devices with Whispersync
    * Create bookmarks and view the annotations you created on your Kindle, computer, or other Kindle-compatible mobile device

Shop for Books in the Kindle Store

* Search and browse more than 400,000 books, including 101 of 112 New York Times� Best Sellers.
    * Find New York Times Best Sellers and new releases for $9.99, unless marked otherwise
    * Get free book samples - read the first chapter for free before you decide to buy
    * Books you purchase can also be read on a Kindle, computer, or other Kindle-compatible mobile device
    * Kindle newspapers, magazines, and blogs are not currently available for Kindle for BlackBerry
    * Kindle for BlackBerry is available to U.S. customers only

Future Improvements
    As with all our services, we will continue to improve the Kindle for Blackberry application. Below are some of the features to be added in the near future:

* Scrolling
    In addition to page-by-page navigation, you will be able to scroll text line-by-line.
    * Create Notes and Highlights
    Along with viewing the notes and highlights you created on other Kindle devices, you will be able to create and edit notes and highlights.
    * Search
    You will be able to search within your book.

Works with
    Bold 9000, 9700
    Curve 8520, 8900
    Storm 9530, 9500
    Tour 9630

Type: "amazon.com/kindlebb" into your BlackBerry browser to download.
    02-18-10 06:21 AM
    Looks nice, but I'm not seeing a way to add books that the Amazon site has converted to the kindle format into this app. I've copied into several folders and it's just not recognizing them. Anyone found a way to add books from a computer into this app?
    Last edited by ltrtiger; 02-18-10 at 08:16 AM.
    02-18-10 07:20 AM
    Downloaded it. Size is 1.1mb.

Initial impression is very good. The page looks good and page-to-page appears to be pretty flawless. It has the ability to bookmark, change text size and "go to".
    02-18-10 08:22 AM
    Memory appears to be ok. Not 100% certain but will monitor as I use it.
    Last edited by glasgow1967; 02-18-10 at 08:44 AM.
    02-18-10 08:29 AM
    Still searching for a method to get books that have been converted from PDF to the Kindle format into this app. There seems to be no way of doing that. Is this app limited to only the books purchased via Amazon? If so, that's a shame. I've got numerous legal books in PDF format that have been converted and I'd like to use the app to read them. If not, I guess I'll stick with Repligo.
    02-18-10 09:26 AM
    Amazon apps are usually built quite well. It ran great on my phone while I read some pages this morning. My question is........where is the TTS(Text-to-speech)?
    02-18-10 09:26 AM
    Still searching for a method to get books that have been converted from PDF to the Kindle format into this app. There seems to be no way of doing that. Is this app limited to only the books purchased via Amazon? If so, that's a shame. I've got numerous legal books in PDF format that have been converted and I'd like to use the app to read them. If not, I guess I'll stick with Repligo.
    Books are stored on your memory card in the kindle/eBooks folder. Copy your existing eBooks into that folder to read them in the Kindle app. Works for me.

02-18-10 09:35 AM
    Any one figure out a way to get this to work in landscape or is portrait the only option???
    02-18-10 09:37 AM
    Books are stored on your memory card in the kindle/eBooks folder. Copy your existing eBooks into that folder to read them in the Kindle app. Works for me.

Tried that and couldn't get the books to show. Curious...I've got them organized in folders by author. Do the kindle files have be in the eBook folder or can they be within subfolders? That might be my problem.
    02-18-10 09:39 AM
    Nope. Tried it both ways. Copied both an .azw file and a folder containing .azw files. Neither shows upon sync.
    02-18-10 09:45 AM
    Nope. Tried it both ways. Copied both an .azw file and a folder containing .azw files. Neither shows upon sync.
    Amazon sez: "PDF and DOCX conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. You can e-mail your PDF or DOCX files wirelessly to your Kindle (1st Generation).

Some complex PDF and DOCX files might not format correctly on your Kindle (1st Generation)."

That may be a clue.

My existing books are in .mobi format and they work wonderfully.
    02-18-10 09:56 AM
    Great app. My .prc / .mobi books work fine. There are also a lot of resources for creating your own Kindle books from a variety of formats (.doc or .html), which makes having a decent reader on your BB even better. I will need more time with this app to see how it stacks up against B&N/eReader though.
    02-18-10 10:08 AM
    Amazon sez: "PDF and DOCX conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. You can e-mail your PDF or DOCX files wirelessly to your Kindle (1st Generation).

Some complex PDF and DOCX files might not format correctly on your Kindle (1st Generation)."

That may be a clue.

My existing books are in .mobi format and they work wonderfully.

Strange that Kindle for PC reads the converted books perfectly but the BB app can't. Still think it's where the app is looking for the books. Might be that .azw files need to be in a folder other than the eBook folder on the SD card? Still looking/trying. That would be nice....not that using Repligo to read the PDF's is all that bad. Just nice to have the Kindle app do the job.
    02-18-10 10:09 AM
    Amazon apps are usually built quite well. It ran great on my phone while I read some pages this morning. My question is........where is the TTS(Text-to-speech)?
    That is probably a feature that they will resever for their Kindle. I must tell you that is one of my favorite features on a Kindle device.

Try changing the extension to .mobi or .prc

BTW I've moved my MOBI/Kindle books into the kindle/eBook directory. Not only do they show up, but I'm already reading one.
    Last edited by _X_; 02-18-10 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added more info
    02-18-10 11:56 AM
    That is probably a feature that they will resever for their Kindle. I must tell you that is one of my favorite features on a Kindle device.

Try changing the extension to .mobi or .prc

BTW I've moved my MOBI/Kindle books into the kindle/eBook directory. Not only do they show up, but I'm already reading one.
    Changing the extension to .prc worked, but the app shows it as a PDF. Oddly enough, it will not read the PDF version of the book and neither will the Kindle app for PC. So it appears I've got yet another conversion process ahead of me if I want to avoid multiple databases(PDF, azw and either prc/mobi. Since I've got both PDF and .azw copies of my books, is there a software program for windows that can do a bulk conversion so that I can have just one book database for both my Kindle for Blackberry and Kindle for PC? Would mobi or prc be the format of choice for both apps to read?
    02-18-10 12:30 PM
    Changing the extension to .prc worked, but the app shows it as a PDF. Oddly enough, it will not read the PDF version of the book
    This does not make sense. Try changing it to .mobi. It's not really odd that the Kindle 4 BB does not read the PDF file since it only supports a MOBI/AZW file.
    Try opening the file in a text editor. You should see the word MOBI somewhere in the beginning part of the file. If you do not see it there then you do not have a MOBI book. I'm wondering if maybe the AZW files you created where somehow corrupted, where you ever able to see your AWZ files before?

is there a software program for windows that can do a bulk conversion so that I can have just one book database for both my Kindle for Blackberry and Kindle for PC? Would mobi or prc be the format of choice for both apps to read?
    Yes there is a tool that does bulk conversion it's called (calibre). It's one of the best Open Source apps. You can bulk convert from the UI or from the command line.

Converting from PDF to anything is horrible when batch converted. If your PDF have very basic formatting, just text you should be okay.

Just for clarification MOBI/AZW/PRC are all the same file format (well kind of for PRC). Amazon changed the extension from MOBI/PRC to AZW for their Kindle device, but with the KindlePC and BB they have seemed to gone back to using the PRC extension.

I use the mobi as that is the most accurate ext, PRC is really a palm file extension. So far all of the Kindle apps -- the Kindle, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for BB-- recognize the MOBI extension.
    Last edited by _X_; 02-18-10 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added more text
    02-18-10 12:53 PM
    Hi,
    this app is only available to US customers.
    The amazon website will not let me download it.
    It is available elsewhere - a .cod file.
    How do I install this app from just the .cod file.
    I already have a kindle and would like to have one or two reference books available on my BB Storm.
    02-18-10 01:12 PM
    If you google kindle converter there is alot out there.

I found a free one called "Auto Kindle eBook Converter" It does convert a pfd to a kindle format. Still to determine how good the conversion is.
    02-18-10 01:28 PM
    When I click link to take me to the site via my Curve, I do not see an option to download the file. Although I can view other websites just fine, Anyone else experience this issue? Might I have an incorrect setting for the browser on my hand-held?
    02-18-10 01:34 PM
    Just downloaded this. I see others above have mentioned this reads books in Mobi format. Does this mean that this will read ebooks from Mobipocket, since I'm having trouble trying to get it to work. The Kindle app only lets me log on to Amazon upon opening it. TIA.

I'm guessing this app is the reason Mobi lacked any support for the past year since Mobi is also owned by Amazon from my understanding.
    02-18-10 05:32 PM
    App only allows you to read in portrait mode. There is no landscape mode for the Storm.
    02-18-10 09:07 PM
    Just downloaded this. I see others above have mentioned this reads books in Mobi format. Does this mean that this will read ebooks from Mobipocket, since I'm having trouble trying to get it to work. The Kindle app only lets me log on to Amazon upon opening it. TIA.

I'm guessing this app is the reason Mobi lacked any support for the past year since Mobi is also owned by Amazon from my understanding.
    Yes an No. Kindle supports the Mobipocket and use the same DRM, but the decryption keys are different. If you removed the DRM you will be able to read the MOBI books on your BB Kindle.
    02-19-10 05:44 PM
    I sure hope the lack of responses in this thread is any indication of the number of peeps that have downloaded this app. This app is fantastic.

I bought my mother a Kindle and toyed around with it for a bit. I didn't grasp the full potential of the Kindle until I downloaded this app. Kindle truly has revolutionized the bookstore/library/coffee shop setting. It's revoultionized reading. The Kindle, especially on the Storm, is like having a complete library of books at your hand with instant (one touch) access. If there were any app that the Storm with it's full screen could be used so well, it's with the Kindle. It's like having a whole different device with this app and it's free.

Downloaded this earlier this week and I've already ready several book. One per day. It's really got me excited for reading casually again that it's got me reading fast in glee.

Positives:

Good interface
    Little to no memory and battery drain! (This thing is written so well!)
    Opens only on command and standard exit
    Good backlight setting

Negatives:

None; adjustable font and color would be nice for updates though.

Highly recommended; five stars; bump.
    03-12-10 02:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD