I always try to avoid leaving my Berry charging overnight because my Tour charges quite fast - usually in under an hour. I like to charge it in the morning but sometimes it will slip my mind. Despite this, I don't like to charge it overnight, it just doesn't feel right leaving it plugged in idly while I sleep for so many hours.

I've been told by a few people that leaving it plugged in overnight does not drain the battery or have any long term adverse impact. But I'm still hesitant. Any of you feel this way?
    02-17-10 10:32 PM
    I don't worry about leaving it charging overnight as it stops charging when it's full. I like to wake up in the morning, to take my Berry knowing it's good for the day!
    02-17-10 10:45 PM
    i leave mine plugged in every nite and i have had my 8330 for almost 2 years and not once have i had an issue with the phone. i guess it would be up to you and what you feel comfortable doing
    02-17-10 10:46 PM
    The two years I had BB's I never had an issue with charging it overnight... if you look at the storm1 and storm2 they make docks for it that turn it into a clock basically while it's charged/charging....
    02-17-10 10:48 PM
    You and whomever is advising you apparently have no clue as to how Lithium Ion
    batteries work.

The battery has overcharge protection. Once it is full it stops charging.
    02-17-10 10:53 PM
    Clearly you did not fully read my post. I said that the people advising me in fact told me I have nothing to worry about. It is just an irrational quirk of mine ...
    02-17-10 10:58 PM
    Just leave it plugged in, the phone, and battery will be fine. Chances are that battery will still be fine long after you're due for your next upgrade.
    02-17-10 11:10 PM
    The home charger knows when the phone is charged. But the car charger doesn't have a memory and it doesn't know when the phone is fully charged. Car charger should only be used as a boost and I was always told to not talk on it while charging. I still don't. Probably many will disagree with me.
    02-17-10 11:20 PM
    The only issue I've had was with leaving my phone plugged into a USB cable attached to my shutdown laptop. For some reason, my battery was almost dead the next morning. I haven't done that ever since, so I'm not sure if it's a recurring issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 11:28 PM
    Mine goes into the charging pod every night.
    02-17-10 11:31 PM
    The home charger knows when the phone is charged. But the car charger doesn't have a memory and it doesn't know when the phone is fully charged. Car charger should only be used as a boost and I was always told to not talk on it while charging. I still don't. Probably many will disagree with me.
    I'll disagree with you. You cannot hurt the battery with a charger. I have spoken to engineers about the batteries and I know how they are integrated into circuits as we do that at my job quite often. You are safe.
    02-18-10 12:03 AM
    Clearly you did not fully read my post. I said that the people advising me in fact told me I have nothing to worry about. It is just an irrational quirk of mine ...
    You said it.... "Irrational quirk". Plug it in and take an Ambien.

02-18-10 12:04 AM
    Like others have said, I slip my Tour into the charging pod and wake up with a full battery. My BB is my alarm clock also, so it works out fine for me.

02-18-10 12:11 AM
    Any of you feel this way?
    Anyhoo I assume now you know the answer about the part of your question I included in the quote of my post

Anymore qustions ?
    02-18-10 07:46 AM
    I charge mine every night while I sleep... always have.
    02-18-10 07:54 AM
    I'm surprised people still have this question. Modern electronic devices don't overcharge. Period.

02-18-10 08:01 AM
    I try to charge my phone everynight but never happens, I end up falling asleep before I do. I never have a full a charge on my phone. When I'm on my laptop, car it gets plugged in for a little bit I'm able to able to have it availably to me all day. The answer to the question your battery will be fine.

02-18-10 09:52 AM
    Ummm yeah, charge it overnight. Been doing that with all my cell phones since the 10th grade.
    02-18-10 09:54 AM
    In my experience it's actually better for long term health of the batteries. Old batteries like NiCads needed deep discharge or they got to the point where they wouldn't hold a charge. You wanted to run them down until they were dead and then charge 'em long before the next use.

The nickel metal hydride (are they even using those anymore) and Li Ion batteries don't like being run down, the more you charge them, the longer they seem to last.

Add to all that the today's chargers are not like the old chargers. The old chargers basically just ran current through the batteries until you unplugged them. The new ones use logic circuits and power conditioning to "smart charge" the batteries.
    02-18-10 10:31 AM
    It's best to keep lithium ion batteries charged as much as possible. Letting it completely drain out constantly will shorten its battery life Though, the occasional full drain (once a month) will also keep it calibrated
    02-18-10 12:59 PM
    Mine goes into the charging pod every night.
    oh pretty. i want one.
    02-18-10 01:04 PM
    I always charge my BB overnight and I've never seen any difference in battery performance...
    02-18-10 01:06 PM
    Leave that baby in all ya want. Can't hurt it. And why would bb make it an alarm clock if it was a bad idea? Most of us use the clock at night. Hence, the charging overnight.
    02-18-10 01:07 PM
    I put mine on the charger every night, no problem. But there is an e-mail floating around showing a SUV all burned up. They had left their phone on the car charger and at 11pm it caught on fire. Luckily they found it before it destroyed their house.
    02-18-10 03:10 PM
    I put mine on the charger every night, no problem. But there is an e-mail floating around showing a SUV all burned up. They had left their phone on the car charger and at 11pm it caught on fire. Luckily they found it before it destroyed their house.
    ...Aaaaaand, they probably bought that car charger from "IveNeverHeardOfThisWebsiteBeforeInMyLife dot com"

But seriously, yeah. It'll be fine.

I also put mine in bedside mode at night while charging.
    02-18-10 03:43 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD