So I bought an Otterbox Defender case for my 9700 because I work in a very dusty and sometimes wet environment, and do sometimes drop my phone. I also am not allowed to carry my phone in a hip holster, it may stay in my pocket. I was very impressed with the styling of my 9700 after having a 8320 and it got pretty wrecked from work. So I bought this case hoping to preserve the looks of my Bold until I took it off to clean the dust that had found it's way under the cover and lo and behold, I have several big gashes on the chrome bezel and the top area by the unlock and mute buttons. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me, and what kind of reimbursement would Otterbox give me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 10:07 PM
    Pics???????????
    02-16-10 10:27 PM
    I have found their customer service to be superhelpful. May want to send them an email with some pics. I use an Otterbox commuter caseand have not had problems.

02-16-10 10:34 PM
    Never had a prob with otterbox at least not gashes only light scratches that you would get from any case but better than a cracked screen from a bad spill

02-17-10 12:16 AM
    I like the protection of the defender, however my berry has fallen out of the clip several times. I like the defender for the 9000, as it was much more secure. I have had an issue with dog hair getting under the plastic screen protector.
    02-17-10 06:10 AM
    I had this happen to me using a SEIDIO CASE. Totally ruined the finish of my phone. I would have been better off not using a case at all since the very thing I was trying to avoid was caused by it. SEIDIO just ignored my e-mail as they have a track record of doing. Sorry to hear you had a similar issue with the Otterbox.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-17-10 09:50 AM
    I'm pretty sure otterbox will stand behind their cases 100% as long as you can prove that's what caused the damage. I'd def shoot them an email with pics & all.
    02-17-10 09:58 AM
    I really like my Otterbox and for the most part it does it's job great. But the reason I got it was for the protextion. I guess the dust at work is just smaller than the cover's gaps. I ruined my curve with a plastic body "protector" from T-Mobile and they wouldn't help out any. I did send an email to Otterbox inquiring bout a slide in case for the defender rather than the snap in cuz I found it wasn't secure, and while they did reply quickly, they kinda missed the point of my email and wanted me to send in my holster for another one just like it. The only other problem is that I only have internet on my phone so I'd have a hard time taking a decent pic of my phone and emailing it to them with my phone but I may have to figure it out some way.

02-17-10 12:26 PM
    So I bought an Otterbox Defender case for my 9700 because I work in a very dusty and sometimes wet environment, and do sometimes drop my phone. I also am not allowed to carry my phone in a hip holster, it may stay in my pocket. I was very impressed with the styling of my 9700 after having a 8320 and it got pretty wrecked from work. So I bought this case hoping to preserve the looks of my Bold until I took it off to clean the dust that had found it's way under the cover and lo and behold, I have several big gashes on the chrome bezel and the top area by the unlock and mute buttons. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me, and what kind of reimbursement would Otterbox give me.

This is a joke, right? Big Gash's? From what?

The hard plastic part of the case is injection molded. The one mold is used to produce thousands of cases. Do you think they made a special mold just for you, to damage your phone?

Sounds to me like you installed the case with grit between the case and phone body, and even that is giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you are not just some scam artist.

Why would you even THINK the case company would reimburse you for anything?

I dont even know why I bother to reply, it seems so obvious what the OP's game plan is. Looking for a few more BS stories so we can add them to our upcoming email to Otterbox are we?
    02-17-10 12:33 PM
    I keep my phone clean as possible. Before I put the case on I clean the plastic part and the phone with alcohol before I put it on to make sure everything is clean. I have a screen cover on underneath the built in screen cover. The gash is more than little surface etchings. It is deep, about a quarter inch long, and I can hook my fingernail in it. I could care less whether I actually get reimbursed in anyway, as I never once screamed about Otterbox replacing my phone or anything else along those lines. Most people with Blackberry Smartphones baby their phones. And when I get somethig like this case and something like this happens, it concerns me and I want to know if anyone else has had a similar problem or has any insight. I don't intend on getting rid of my Defender or my Bold, because although, yes my phone does have some scratches on it, I don't plan on removing the cover and it has still saved a lot of dust from getting in my battery area and under the keys. That's all.

02-17-10 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD