Posted in the sticky for the latest OS but putting it here anyway as it's slightly odd:

Well here's a new one for me.
    Not using my Bold at the moment, am on an iPhone but like to keep the OS up to date and was using an old leak from last year.

Trying to update the usual way via removing vendor.xml and blah blah blah.

Anyway the process starts fine, but when it reboots into the "connecting to device ROM" stage, the phone reboots and then tells me the USB charging current is not sufficient - ie: it's not connecting to the PC, where it was working fine before it rebooted to connect to ROM.

I take the cable out, it resets the reboot, it happens again, infinite loop of reset unless I cancel the update when it says "Application loader could not connect to your device. Pleasure ensure your device is securely connected to your computer and press retry".

This hasn't ever happened before!
    What's going on?

Also, this BB won't update the OS via DM. It tells me it's done when it clearly isn't.

Current OS installed is 5.0.0.238.
    02-16-10 10:10 AM
    Try using CrackMem instead of DM. I've never used DM for an OS update other then the pre-installation steps of backing everything up including the apps.

CrackMem

CrackMem Instructions

And for good measure I'll throw in these:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...ocedure-53359/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/

Good luck!

Chris
    02-17-10 03:13 AM
    Crackmem doesn't seem to like me (I'm probably not using it right).

Once it gets to the opening of DM it checks and then does nothing - in fact, now it tells me (if I just run DM) that there's no update available, yesterday it told me I had to upgrade (which is when I ran the update on DM and it told me it was done when it wasn't)

The only difference I can see from the instructions is that when the OS thing is meant to go RED when you confirm it, mine goes BLUE (might be a version thing?)

I think my BB thinks it is updated when it's not, I may be best downgrading to a stable 4.0 then upgrading to the latest 5, I don't know.

I've been through a lot of OSes since having this Bold but this hasn't ever happened before. Perhaps it hates me for switching to an iPhone.
    02-17-10 04:38 AM
    OK so now I wiped it with JL Commander, I figured it would be easier just to do a fresh install.

So it wiped to a 507 screen, as it's meant to.

When I tried to install the newest OS via DM, it's till got the flaming asterisk telling me only premium subscribers can use it (WTF is that about?) so I try again via loader.exe and it does the same thing - it reboots the device to install and when it boots back up, it isn't being detected by the PC it's not connecting after a reboot? What the **** is going on?

Now it has no software I can't check that it will work via Crackmem either as it just asks me to retry/update/cancel, and if I click update it goes back to the stupid "you can't update this software you're not special, aha ha" bit*.

*Only active Blackberry service subscribers are entitled to install this Blackberry Software Device upgrade - I used to get this when I was a BB user so it's nothing to do with the fact there's no signal on the phone.
    02-17-10 05:31 AM
    I have no idea about the special users crap...

I'm not sure what else you can try other then maybe the bricked/dead BB guides.

Chris
    02-17-10 05:46 AM
    I have no idea about the special users crap...

I'm not sure what else you can try other then maybe the bricked/dead BB guides.

Chris
    Hmm tried: BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

But that doesn't work.

Despite the 507 loader.exe recognises my PIN (although DM doesn't) and tells me no operations to install software are needed "goodbye", so I can't install any OS at all now. This is very confusing.

Edit: belay that, I have a 4.6 working on it now. Now to try and upgrade to a 5.

Edit: Well that's just taken it back to one of the old problems of it deciding that 4.6 is perfectly fine for the phone, no matter which of three ways I tell it to connect, it tells me to back off and leave it be.

Crackmem does list two OSes to choose from though - perhaps there's one installed rogue somewhere - it's not showing on my installed progs list if it is.
    Last edited by flamingkitties; 02-17-10 at 06:38 AM.
    02-17-10 06:07 AM
    Glad to hear that you at least got it working. Keep me posted.

Chris
    02-17-10 06:38 AM
    Did another wipe and got the latest OS to install, hooray!

I have a terrible feeling it might have been the fact my USB cable was connected to a USB extension cable (to make it longer - not to power it), I got rid of that before this update. It may have been the cause.
    Works now, so it's okay! Thanks!
    02-17-10 07:22 AM
    Edit: Well that's just taken it back to one of the old problems of it deciding that 4.6 is perfectly fine for the phone, no matter which of three ways I tell it to connect, it tells me to back off and leave it be.
    On your PC Uninstall all the BlackBerry Software - everything (you don't need to delete the downloaded source files from disk). Then reinstall DM WITHOUT automatic update, and load only the OS you want to install to the phone. Backup your phone from DM and disconnect the phone.

Disconnect the PC from internet. Show hidden files and search the PC (All local drives) for VENDOR.XML and delete all of them.

Now try the OS upload using AppLoader (Loader.exe).
    02-17-10 07:23 AM
    Did another wipe and got the latest OS to install, hooray!

I have a terrible feeling it might have been the fact my USB cable was connected to a USB extension cable (to make it longer - not to power it), I got rid of that before this update. It may have been the cause.
    Works now, so it's okay! Thanks!
    Glad to hear you got it working! The extension could have been the cause as I have experienced issue in the past where a longer cable would not work as it could not transfer enough power, etc. to the device.

Chris
    02-17-10 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD