I hope I'm wrong about this, but the new browser requirements are hinging on 256MB and OpenGL capable BB models... nothing less.
    02-16-10 09:54 AM
    I hope you're wrong too...But I wouldn't get it past RIM. Look at the Tour 9630... it's already discontinued in VZW's systems. It's pathetic that RIM is putting out hardware that no one will even isht on 6 months from now and you need the next model in order to have features that should have been included in the first model to begin with.
    02-16-10 10:06 AM
    I hope you're wrong too...But I wouldn't get it past RIM. Look at the Tour 9630... it's already discontinued in VZW's systems. It's pathetic that RIM is putting out hardware that no one will even isht on 6 months from now and you need the next model in order to have features that should have been included in the first model to begin with.
    Welcome to every electronics and auto manufacturer on the planet.
    02-16-10 10:12 AM
    Do you know what devices are 256MB and openGL?
    Man i hope it for everyone.... it would suck for someone who has an older model and likes it

I hope I'm wrong about this, but the new browser requirements are hinging on 256MB and OpenGL capable BB models... nothing less.
    02-16-10 10:17 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bold 9700 isn't open GL capable, at least it wasn't one of the ones listed. So why are they showing the new browser on it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 10:19 AM
    Storm 2, upcoming tour 2, and the bold 9700 has 256 memory but not sure about opengl

02-16-10 10:21 AM
    I'm 99% sure the 9700 doesn't have open GL but it was the BB in the demo running the new browser. It does have 256 mb though, as do the 8900, storm 2, tour and 85xx curve models.
    02-16-10 10:25 AM
    You are correct...I think only the S2 and the 8530 are openGL. But i am sure that was a 9700 on the demo.... time will tell

I'm 99% sure the 9700 doesn't have open GL but it was the BB in the demo running the new browser. It does have 256 mb though, as do the 8900, storm 2, tour and 85xx curve models.
    02-16-10 10:27 AM
    Storm 2, upcoming tour 2, and the bold 9700 has 256 memory but not sure about opengl

S2 and Tour2 (and Tour) support OpenGL...Bold 9700 does not. The Curve2 supports it too.
    02-16-10 10:28 AM
    Welcome to every electronics and auto manufacturer on the planet.
    Besides the auto industry, other manufactures release devices and even when they release a better device (hardware-spec wise) 6 or less months later, these software updates are still able to be applied to all devices.

Yeah, yeah, 5.0 came to all devices, but still... it applies to computers too. I don't want to have to buy a new computer every time the browser gets updated or a new OS comes out.
    02-16-10 10:31 AM
    So if the BOLD 9700 doesn't support Open GL then the new browser must not require it, since the BB in the demo video is a new BOLD.

02-16-10 10:32 AM
    Well the demo was on the 9700, so we can assume the OpenGL support is not a requirement.

256mb thou, makes sense to me... Sad as it may be for older models.

I hope it is, at least, set for OS 5.0 up. That would get 8330s covered.
    02-16-10 10:34 AM
    So if the BOLD 9700 doesn't support Open GL then the new browser must not require it, since the BB in the demo video is a new BOLD.

I'm pretty sure the 9700 does support OpenGL :|
    02-16-10 10:35 AM
    I'm pretty sure the 9700 does support OpenGL :|
    You're wrong.

Does The Lack Of OpenGL Support Make You Want To Hold Off On The BlackBerry 9700?
    02-16-10 10:54 AM
    yeah i doubt that the 8530 supports it and yet somehow the 9700 does not. looks to me like if you have a 2nd gen device you can use it. if not... tough noogies.
    02-16-10 10:55 AM
    In that case, OpenGL will probably not be a requirement unless the demo model was not a 9700

02-16-10 10:59 AM
    yeah i doubt that the 8530 supports it and yet somehow the 9700 does not. looks to me like if you have a 2nd gen device you can use it. if not... tough noogies.
    I'm guessing you never read my post.

The suspected reason is that the Bold 9700's processor can't handle it.
    02-16-10 11:07 AM
    Who knows only time will tell.
    02-16-10 11:08 AM
    Besides the auto industry, other manufactures release devices and even when they release a better device (hardware-spec wise) 6 or less months later, these software updates are still able to be applied to all devices.

Yeah, yeah, 5.0 came to all devices, but still... it applies to computers too. I don't want to have to buy a new computer every time the browser gets updated or a new OS comes out.
    Actually, 5.0 didn't and will not come to all devices. Lets just hope that it isn't RIM's strategy to maximize profits by releasing phones lacking essential features in the hopes that customers will buy the next 'upgrade.' If it is, it's detrimental to their customers. It is not good strategy to hold back on essential features on phones to induce customers to buy the next release. Case in point, I don't blame a lot of Tour owners for being resentful of the fact that Tour 2 was already in the works a couple of months after the release of the Tour. The original Tour should have had wireless; it's not even new technology.

If the browser is omitted for already-existing devices, it would be a tragedy. My demands are not high. I want a phone that has all the features I need, including SIM card abilities, and optimized web browsing. If Sprint had the i-Phone I probably would have tried it by now.
    02-16-10 11:17 AM
    This better work in my storm 1 or this will be the first and last blackberry I ever own.

02-16-10 11:37 AM

Curve 8530 has 256mb RAM as well, so Sprint users have a pretty decent model.
    02-16-10 11:39 AM
    If it runs on my Tour 9630, I will be happy. I don't want to upgrade to the new Tour 2 when that releases just to get the web kit browser.
    02-16-10 11:44 AM
    I'm sporting a Storm 1 myself, and hope it works on my device. However I won't begrudge RIM if it isn't. I'm not going to expect RIM to not release a new browser because my device (or any other device) isn't supported. I'll simply be happier when in the future I happen to replace this device.

The way I see it... if RIM's newer apps/OS depend on higher system requirements, that just ensures that any new device they put out will be built to match. What's the alternative? Expect them to halt development altogether because it "Isn't Fair" to users with older devices?
    02-16-10 11:59 AM
    I am guessing this will have to work with the older models at some point. The 8330 is still the #1 seller for the month of January. RIM would be fools if they let this slip by that product.

Or maybe they are trying to push the new 8530 instead...just my opinion though
    02-16-10 12:41 PM
    I'm sporting a Storm 1 myself, and hope it works on my device. However I won't begrudge RIM if it isn't. I'm not going to expect RIM to not release a new browser because my device (or any other device) isn't supported. I'll simply be happier when in the future I happen to replace this device.

The way I see it... if RIM's newer apps/OS depend on higher system requirements, that just ensures that any new device they put out will be built to match. What's the alternative? Expect them to halt development altogether because it "Isn't Fair" to users with older devices?
    I can appreciate that point of view. As I said earlier, if the manner in which RIM omits features in some handsets only to include them a few months later in newer handsets is inadvertent, then I have no quibble. But if it is an economic design or strategy, I consider it detrimental to customers and to themselves in the long run. I used the Tour as an example. The wireless feature on phones is now older than Methuselah of biblical renown. Some dumb phones (notably Nokia) even have this feature. In fact, RIM had already integrated that option with some handsets before the Tour was even released. Hence, it was not new technology at all. For CDMA users, the Tour was undoubtedly supposed to be the flagship device. It was certainly priced like one. But - deliberately, it seems - it was deprived of the wireless feature that would have made it truly the foremost device for Sprint and Verizon. It had barely hit the shelves before there was talk about an updated version with wireless making its debut. It is enough to make anyone wonder.

You have a Storm 1, which is pretty dated. I wonder if you would feel the same way if you had purchased Storm 2 a couple of months ago, when there had already been talk about these enhanced browsers being in the works. Then, you find out that the Storm 2 would not be getting the new browser. You might also wonder if this is by design, and not by default. You might even begin to feel some resentment, after all, you just bought the phone, and the average consumer can afford to upgrade to a new phone only once in two years. Unfortunately, it is impossible to nail their motives with any degree of accuracy, but I sincerely hope that RIM is not doing this intentionally. It is more harmful than helpful to them.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-16-10 at 01:08 PM.
    02-16-10 01:03 PM
219 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD