My contract is up and I'm eligible for upgrade. Been considering Curve and Pearl. Have settled on Curve for larger screen. It's most important to me that I have a good browser and that the device supports streaming radio, youtube and the like.

Can someone tell me which blackberry would be the best option for this?

I can get curve for around $50. Not sure what the Bold will cost or when it's available. I'm on Verizon network.

Thanks!!!
    06-10-08 09:14 PM
    Get the curve. Not sure when the BOLD is comin out fro verizon
    06-10-08 09:23 PM
    Yeah, go with the curve... The bold will cost somewhere around $300+ for new or re-newing subscribers when it comes out, And being its verizon, that date could be anywhere around a few months to a year or even more...
    06-11-08 12:09 AM
    OK, thanks for the feedback, but can you tell me why the Curve is better than the Bold for web surfing and internet radio streaming? I'm specifically interested in those two aspects of the phone.

When I make a purchase, I want to make sure that the phone I purchase is well suited to those two tasks as that's the main thing that I'm upgrading for (even more than the larger screen and full keyboard)
    06-11-08 09:41 AM
    Also, can someone recommend a good streaming app?

Thanks.
    06-11-08 10:25 AM
    We have streaming?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 10:36 AM
    That's news to me, as I had no idea we had streaming.
    06-11-08 10:46 AM
    So no streaming on any blackberry, not even Bold???

Can someone please clear this up before I make a purchase mistake!

Seems very odd that they could support video streaming, which is much more complicated (and includes by its nature, audio).
    Last edited by vestaviascott; 06-11-08 at 11:30 AM.
    06-11-08 11:24 AM
    I'm watching and subscribed - I want to be able to pick up radio station streaming as well...frustrated about the lack of ability. Treo did this seamlessly.
    06-11-08 11:37 AM
    no streaming with verizon.
    06-11-08 11:53 AM
    no streaming with verizon.
    Video streaming with all CDMA Blackberries, starting with the 8130. My 8130 and 8330 both stream with Youtube
    06-11-08 01:12 PM
    Video streaming with all CDMA Blackberries, starting with the 8130. My 8130 and 8330 both stream with Youtube
    How can there be so much confusion on this???

If it streams youtube, which is video AND audio, why could it not stream audio only? Also, with competition from iphone, I would expect BB would be way out front with these features. Lots of folks are choosing between these two phones and it appears that iphone has a major advantage...
    06-11-08 03:41 PM
    Well, there IS confusion about this.

Last weekend I tried to listen to a stream from my local NPR radio station on my 8330. They had streams available on their website in the following formats:

Windows Media Stream (.asx)
    [Windows Media]

MP3 Stream (.m3u)
    [Windows Media, Real Audio]

MP3 Stream (.pls)
    [iTunes, QuickTime, Real Audio, WinAmp]

iTunes MP3 Stream (.pls)
    [iTunes]

NOT ONE will open with the media software loaded into the BB. I get the messages: "The media being played is of an unsupported format," or "Unsupported media type". I keep thinking that if I could load a correct media player into the BB, it should automatically detect the stream and play it - but I don't find any free players that seem designed for the 8330. Frankly, I'm already tired of paying for software that should have been included with the device (like a way to keep personal and work emails sorted by different icons...or software that will show HTML emails in their native format) and I'm not sure it will work anyway.

With my Treo, this is automatic and seamless. Why not the BB????????
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 06-11-08 at 04:54 PM.
    06-11-08 04:04 PM
    I don't understand it either when i had my treo is was easy like sunday morning
    06-11-08 04:16 PM
    Apparently still no definitive answer...
    06-11-08 08:58 PM
    I stream podcasts but some are too large. I woulld love to figure out how to increase the mem allowed for this. The podcasts are sometimes close to an hour long.

06-11-08 09:24 PM
    I stream podcasts but some are too large. I woulld love to figure out how to increase the mem allowed for this. The podcasts are sometimes close to an hour long.

Podcasts are generally not streamed, are they? I'm pretty sure the curve can play a podcast (its essentially just an mp3 file by another name).

The question I'm trying to get answered is how to get the Curve enabled to support live radio streaming audio (which is usually in a windows media or realplayer format)
    06-11-08 09:46 PM
    Maybe streaming possible with the OS update, when it becomes available?
    06-12-08 06:24 AM
    Got to agree with stayfly when I had my Treo 700p I can watch live TV streams all types of audio and video formats the program was called KINOMA. if anything I miss about my palm was tha Kinoma program.. oh yeah and the 3+ crashes a week

06-12-08 07:22 AM
    According to the att website isnt the bold going to be att exclusive. as far as radio they have the xm radio app. but i have not tried to stream from a local station yet. i am gonna try it and will report back.
    06-12-08 08:59 AM
    well unfortunatly i tried about 3 local stations and can not get it to load up on my curve.
    06-12-08 09:55 AM
    I'll try on my 8330 tomorrow to see if I get different results.
    06-13-08 12:13 PM
    Just Buy an Iphone seems to be what you want anyway the new one isn't supposed to suck so bad but still no major updates on the hardware but at least the price has gotten somewhat reasonable.
    06-13-08 12:36 PM
    I have found that the built-in apps on my 8330 don't support the streaming audio formats. The SprintTV app does, but it's limited to what they offer.

I've looked at all of the applications mentioned in this thread:
    General Discussion:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/str...ckberry-12004/

Players Mentioned:

Dollars 5 Complete � Blackberry

X-BerrySoft - BlackBerry software for every day

Welcome

e-mobilesoft.com

E-mobliesoft also in crackberry store:

PocketStreamer: Live music and radio on the GO - Entertainment BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

Another player from Crackberry Store:

BerryTunes 2.2 - MP3 Player & Streaming Radio - Entertainment BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

I tried the dollar5 trial app. It worked.

--Qfg
    06-13-08 12:57 PM
    Checked out the dollars 5 link but it gave no indication it would work with an 8320,,,,,did I miss something??
    06-13-08 01:40 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD