So I am kinda happy with my storm1. Especially with the .451 hybrid. But the issue is speed and app memory. So here's my dilemma. New every two peanuts discount aside. Is it worth it to upgrade to the S2? Before you answer here's why. In August my new every two comes in. So right now I have an early upgrade. So 5 months ...... I change phones every year and I'm itching for a new one. But if history repeats itself the Storm 3 should be around. So is the s2 worth missing the chance to upgrade to an s3? I would use my fianc�s upgrade as a backup but ive converted her into a crackberry-head. So that's a no-go. So...... S2 now? Or maybe s3 . I have not heard too many rumors aside from the ones everybodys heard. Also please. Current s1 or former s1 and now s2 owners please

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 04:30 AM
    There's very little information on the Storm3 and Storm2 is excellent when it works properly (some suggest that there is a new revision being deployed, hopefully fixing any possible hardware issues). The Tour2 is around the corner if you want to wait for that, but Storm3 honestly no info maybe they will drop the phone altogether. Storm2 is great if you need more speed and app memory, go get it.
    02-15-10 04:58 AM
    If you're happy with the S1 and you want to stay with BB then I say go for it. The S2 certainly isn't revolutionary, but it takes everything you like about the original and improves on it. I did the upgrade mostly for the WiFi, but I have to say the extra memory is sure nice. And not only is there more, but it is completely stable...I have no memory leak at all on the S2 and I am using all the same apps. If you get it now then you can upgrade to the S3 with a yearly discount next Feb, which is only a couple months after it will probably release...

02-15-10 07:33 AM
    I was in about same position as you, was happy with my 9530, it was running great and had zero issues with the device since day 1.

I then had early upgrade offer, so was either upgrade now or wait another 6 months and then get NE2. With pricing of Storm 2 now at $129 for me, I figured now is the time. I can still get my early upgrade again in a year. Even if Storm 3 comes out by EOY, I'll be only 2 months later and I'll be able to snag it then. Price will have dropped by then too - much like I've now seen with my Storm2 purchase.

After having my Storm2 now for a couple of days, it's worth the $129 upgrade (wouldn't pay retail). I can sell my old 9530 (unlocked) and recoup the cost of the upgrade, plus I now have another year warranty.
    02-15-10 08:11 AM
    I've posted before, I got my Storm2 upgrade because my GF wanted to replace her pearl, and the S2 was BOGO.. So, I got mine "free."

Like you, I had no problems with my S1 (after using electrical tape on the battery door to fix the screen click), and with the 5.0 OS, I felt kind of "restricted" memory wise.

The biggest things I expected from the S2 were more memory and wifi. I know the 4 contacts under the screen were a plus, but I was concerened by the send/end/menu/back buttons now being part of the glass.

I got everything I expected. The S2 works well, and I don't really make use of the wifi. The added memory means I can install whatever I want with little care for "how many apps" are installed. I've got way more apps and games installed on my S2 than I ever thought I could want/need and still have plenty of space free. (true, I don't really use all of them either).

However, the 4 contacts under the screen instead of 1, proved to be a weak point on my S2. Out of the box, the SEND key was difficult to press/use. the leaked 5.0.0.428 update seemed to fix that. however now, my END key completely stopped working, and that corner of the screen sticks down. I have a warranty replacement on my desk right now.

While waiting for my warranty device to get here, I switched back to my S1 with 5.0.0.419 OS on it, but I had first shrunk it. I reloaded only the ESSENTIAL apps, and have about 28meg left free on it. It runs as good as my S2 did.

My GF's father has a S1 and envied our S2 upgrades... He said he was having all kinds of issues with his S1... I took it, backed up his apps, shrunk .419, loaded it, and restored his apps. We did get rid of a few he really didn't need (like the full weather channel app). He is much happier. He still has "app envy" because of his iPhone friends (he can't load as many on his S1), but he now doesn't feel the need to upgrade.

Short version... IF you feel the extra memory and wifi features are worth the cost of the S2, go for it. If no, then wipe your S1, shrink the .419 OS, and load up only the essential apps and be happy.

I definitely wouldn't have paid full retail, nor would I suggest anyone do.
    02-15-10 10:24 AM
    I would upgrade. If you wait too the next and best thing....you'll always be waiting. I upgraded in November to my Storm2 and haven't looked back. Left Verizon for the iPhone for 29 days and I'm back. They didn't even make me sign another contract when I came back.

Back to the Storm2, it's a great phone. If you get it now the sooner you'll have an annual upgrade again lol.

02-15-10 10:36 AM
    After having my Storm2 now for a couple of days, it's worth the $129 upgrade (wouldn't pay retail).
    How did you get the S2 for $129??
    02-15-10 10:46 AM
    How did you get the S2 for $129??
    As primary line on my account I was eligible for early upgrade (after 1 year), extends my contact 2 years from the date I got the phone - but I wasn't planning on switching providers so why not. Price of Storm2 is now $179 with 2/yr contract (after $100 MIR) or $179 onlne. I also had $50 discount as part of my early upgrade. At $129 I just couldn't pass that up. I am eligible again in a year for an early upgrade as well. All other lines on my account remain under the original contract date and eligible for their upgrade then.
    02-15-10 11:13 AM
    I was in about same position as you, was happy with my 9530, it was running great and had zero issues with the device since day 1.

I then had early upgrade offer, so was either upgrade now or wait another 6 months and then get NE2. With pricing of Storm 2 now at $129 for me, I figured now is the time. I can still get my early upgrade again in a year. Even if Storm 3 comes out by EOY, I'll be only 2 months later and I'll be able to snag it then. Price will have dropped by then too - much like I've now seen with my Storm2 purchase.

How did you get that price? Is that including the NE2 discount? If not do tell as I think I might take the plunge.
    After having my Storm2 now for a couple of days, it's worth the $129 upgrade (wouldn't pay retail). I can sell my old 9530 (unlocked) and recoup the cost of the upgrade, plus I now have another year warranty.

02-15-10 11:14 AM
    As primary line on my account I was eligible for early upgrade (after 1 year), extends my contact 2 years from the date I got the phone - but I wasn't planning on switching providers so why not. Price of Storm2 is now $179 with 2/yr contract (after $100 MIR) or $179 onlne. I also had $50 discount as part of my early upgrade. At $129 I just couldn't pass that up. I am eligible again in a year for an early upgrade as well. All other lines on my account remain under the original contract date and eligible for their upgrade then.
    Bob, the real question is how did you get the $50 off. Also was it a retailer or a vzw corporate store.

02-15-10 11:16 AM
    Well if speed and app memory are that crucial to you, that you need it now, I would upgrade. I have an S2 that I actually thought would be better and after using it for a day it wasn't much better than my s1. Luckily I got it on a smoking deal without using my upgrade. I'm using my S1 again and contemplating ditching my s2 since I'm not using it. I figure with the rumors of the S3 coming out before the end of the year, (and probably just after your new every two), you might as well wait.
    02-15-10 11:31 AM
    Bob, the real question is how did you get the $50 off. Also was it a retailer or a vzw corporate store.

It is a preferred customer discount of some sort...I got it too.

02-15-10 05:20 PM
    Guess what everyone.I'm on the 9550 wagon! And with bogo my fianc� got hers too. She loved it as a late valentines day gift. So far so good. Wow I can't believe the app memory. Almost make quickpull not needed. And I can't believe how fast and accurately I'm typing on this. And I'm actually sending this over wifi. Not bad at all.......

02-15-10 09:37 PM
    Guess what everyone.I'm on the 9550 wagon! And with bogo my fianc� got hers too. She loved it as a late valentines day gift. So far so good. Wow I can't believe the app memory. Almost make quickpull not needed. And I can't believe how fast and accurately I'm typing on this. And I'm actually sending this over wifi. Not bad at all.......

congrats and have fun, psst there is also a new leaked os. lol
    02-15-10 09:43 PM

IPosted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Congrats! Memory has been solid for me on the 9550. I booted up at 115.4 MB two days ago and it hasn't gone below 115.2 yet. I have all the same apps I had on the S1 plus some new ones. No random reboots or forced reboots other than for app installs since I got it.

02-15-10 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD