My friend has been wanting to get an 8350i for a while now. Today he walked into RadioShack and BestBuy and both of these retail stores told him that the Nextel 8350i Blackberry had been discontinued. That they no longer carried them in their stores, but that that he could still find them at Sprint locations. They stated the reason as having too many issues. I'm thinking that the retail stores were getting too many returns and possibly decided to stop selling them ("discontinuing them"). I went to sprint website and they are still selling them.

P.S. Still getting late text messages on mine. Any hope out there???
    02-12-10 01:44 PM
    Me personally, I have not had any major problems with my Berry, and I have had it awhile now. Also as far as texts' i get them instantly!
    02-12-10 01:54 PM
    You have to be one of the lucky few.
    02-12-10 01:55 PM
    LoL maybe?!
    02-12-10 02:07 PM
    Lots of people are getting their phones bricked when they try to update it. I don't know if its the phone or the software on the pc, there's a glitch some where. I had problems with my bb because of a brick but after numerous tries to fix it, I finally got it to update nd I havnt had a problem since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 02:11 PM
    good riddance
    02-12-10 02:46 PM
    I've been a Nextel customer since 2001 and over the years have had various phone and have to say that the 8350i is the biggest POS that has come out. Yes I had the problems that most of you had with it turning into a brick when updating the software but now I'm waiting for my 3rd replacement because of the mini USP plug on the side plus at least one replacement because it bricked when updating the software.

I'm sick of hearing the BS sories from the Service Center that I used the wrong car cord (Rad Shack IGO) rather then the Nextel branded one. Then have to wait 2 business days just to get a replacement.

Mikey P
    02-12-10 04:05 PM
    I've had mine since they day I was realsed and I have only bricked once. I have no real major issues with accpet the .313 software I don't really like. Only major issue is phone has been locking up the last two days. Eveb with quickpull reseting at 5am. But its probaly another .313 problem. As far as any major problemms you better off going yo this forum then to the dealer for help,as many sprint nextel stores have said to go here or come here for help LMAO

02-12-10 05:41 PM
    I use an 8350i on boost with no problems. This was my first Blackberry and I think that I would like to use the new CDMA boost unlimited plan in similar fashion with a Storm 2. Once you have wifi in your phone, its hard to go back.
    02-12-10 06:43 PM
    I have had this phone since 2 days after it was released. The only problems I have had with it are the Texting problems, those were fixed for quite some time until recently when once again it is broken, I just turned off my phone and turned it back on and wham I got 10 texts from today from as early as 8:30am. I haven't bricked mine although I will when I get a new phone, because I am going to brick it then smash it with a hammer and mail it back to Nextel/Sprint and tell them this is all the phone is worth. This phone in my opinion should never have been released, the problems from day one have been numerous and rediculous for a phone which is pretty much the same as the 8330 Curve with the exception of having the PTT. Ackak, if you friend is looking to get a Blackberry tell him to either wait for the Tour 2 or get a Tour, PTT, at least in my area is not as popular as it was just 3 years ago. I use my PTT now maybe once a week or every other week, but that is me, your mileage may vary. As for bricking the phone as long as your USB port is 2.0 and you have the latest DM software installed you should have no problems upgrading the OS on the phone. Sorry for rambling, but it is very frustrating when you read a text message sent at 8:30am at 9:25pm because you just got it..
    Last edited by Bucko21; 02-12-10 at 09:09 PM.
    02-12-10 08:38 PM
    Except for the occasional text issue which I don't blame on the phone, my 8350i has performed almost flawlessly even with .313. I have bricked it twice while doing some 3rd party app updates. But easily corrected the issue.
    02-12-10 11:00 PM
    Except for the occasional text issue which I don't blame on the phone, my 8350i has performed almost flawlessly even with .313. I have bricked it twice while doing some 3rd party app updates. But easily corrected the issue.
    Same here. I am most times baffled by all the troubles some of you are having with this phone. With the exception of some earlier OS weirdness, mine has always worked. With .313 I have had NO problems, not even a delayed text. (except that one time when the network itself barfed-- again, not the fault of the phone) I have said from the beginning though, this phone is not a plug and play device. You change one setting you think is doing something you want and it may be opening up a whole lot of problems. I've been able to take co-workers phones that were "screwed up" and get them running smoothly again just by resetting the defaults. oh, and facebook by RIM sucks, don't install it.
    02-13-10 10:08 AM
    I've had my phone since the week they were released and haven't had any issues that the OS upgrades didn't resolve and I never blamed those on the phone. I put three other family members on my plan with the same phone and all those phones have been trouble free aside from some individual learning curves and things as such.

Right now I think the only phone I'd upgrade to would be the 9630 when and if it comes out with wifi.
    02-13-10 12:59 PM
    This phone has been perfect for me and my wife. We both have one and have no issues.

I'm a BES admin and will tell you that folks just complain about their phone! It doesn't matter what phone they have. Most of the time it is because of the crap they installed that was not from RIM.

In any case, we have WiFi, DC and OS 4.6. I am very happy with this arrangement.
    02-13-10 05:47 PM
    I have to apologize I made it sound in my post that it was the phone that is the cause of all of the problems, it is not, the phone itself is pretty solid, its the network that it is on. When you talk to Tech Support first thing they say is they will send you a new phone when you are having problems, thus putting the blame on the phone itself and not their antiquated network, plus that gets you off the phone and not back on with them for at least 2 to 3 days until you get the replacement phone. They won't admit that the major problem with the phone is the network. Anyway, I apologize for making it seem like it was the phone with all the problems..
    02-13-10 07:32 PM
    I have had my 8350i for about a week now and I love it. I had no problems upgrading to 313. After using a 7100i for over 3 years this phone is amazing
    02-14-10 01:11 PM
    I'm not a frequent poster on the boards here, I've been lurking for a couple years.

I got mine the week of it's release. I've been a Nextel customer for nearly 10 years.

I have to say this has been the best phone I've had from them that entire time.

I still have my original unit and haven;t bricked it once.
    02-16-10 12:46 PM
    When I first got my 8350i, I never really expected much coz I've always had a WM Phone and this is my first Blackberry.
    So far I'm very impressed.
    Coming from a motorola i335, the unlimited internet makes the 8350i worth it.
    Not too many issues, nothing I cant fix at least.
    02-16-10 05:13 PM
    i agree the phone isnt to bad , its just the antiquated pos network . DC and my email is the only thing that works reliably on this phone through iden. its a shame they didnt put the phone as cdma and iden for dc . if nextel upgraded there slow outdated network they would keep a lot of subscribers from leaving and probly gain more subs. if the service was great and reliable our word of mouth would probly bring lots of new ppl. but ppl hear alll this negative crap and they are afraid and want to stay clear of nextel.
    02-16-10 09:08 PM
    I have not had any problems with mine, I will however switch to the Motorola i1 android when it comes out this summer.
    02-17-10 08:44 AM
    i agree the phone isnt to bad , its just the antiquated pos network . DC and my email is the only thing that works reliably on this phone through iden. its a shame they didnt put the phone as cdma and iden for dc . if nextel upgraded there slow outdated network they would keep a lot of subscribers from leaving and probly gain more subs. if the service was great and reliable our word of mouth would probly bring lots of new ppl. but ppl hear alll this negative crap and they are afraid and want to stay clear of nextel.
    dude have you tried using the internet on the motorola i335?
    it was useless... well what can you expect from a very basic fone anyway.
    then I used the 8350i for browsing and whoa...... its like watching TV in black and white then switching to HD TV, then I installed Opera mini and whoa... again it's like surfing the web with dial up then switching to the cheapest DSL plan ever well it's not like mind boggling awesome, just a decent speed enough to check my online bank account, check out craigslist and other cool stuff.
    I actually bought three from craigslist one for my wife, me and a friend of mine and everyday my friend would just say "dude I love my fone, this is an awesome fone, if it wasn't for you I'd still be carying a brick with me"....

Well I hope they could find a way to switch all their fones to CDMA and still have the DC feature, I love the fact that I got a smartfone and a walkie talkie all in one.. just so cool

I got a feeling they're getting rid of the IDEN network
    hopefully they just upgrade it or something so they can keep up with the other carriers
    02-17-10 12:41 PM
    I've actually bricked 3 of the phones, but they weren't my fault. It was a phone issue, not user error. Nextel has always been prompt to fix the phones if I ever had a problem with mine, with the exception of the last time. The CSR apparently noted I had bricked 2 previous phones and sent my issue to tech support. They kept "finding" problems with the phone on their end which extended the ticket another 14 business days so they could get out of sending me a new phone. I was beyond livid at this point after going 3 weeks with a phone that I could not use anything related to data (no texts, emails, IMs, web) and called and spoke to a VERY nice CSR who put me in touch with a manager at TS and the TS guy overnighted me a new phone immediately (not a refurb) and credited me a for a month of service.

I've yet to have any of the problems mentioned here. No text delays, no signal problems. The only problems I've had were RIM problems (BBM not working for a day or data being out for 2 days back near Thanksgiving). I'm pleased. After carrying around that cinder block sized 7100i for so long, it's nice to be vaulted into the 21st century with a phone that does not need a hand crank on the side to charge it.

Radio Shack people are not the brightest of the bunch. I avoid going there at all cost. They run a close race with the "experts" at Best Buy for who can give the dumbest answer to a simple question.
    02-23-10 08:57 AM
    Cold: I am on my 7th 8350i. Yes, 7th. They sent me multiple replacements during initial release when I was not getting text messgaes (not that much is different now). I always had to demand to get what I paid for. I finally have seemed to get a phone that works (I use that term loosely) for the most part. Definetly not a blackberry that will further RIM's reputation.

02-23-10 04:03 PM
    I was a nextel customer from 1998 til 2009. The company was really good until sprint bought them then the nextel side went way down. The service area got smaller network got slower and just didnt work..Then came price increases so I had enought grabbed what was thier coolest phone the 83250 had it with nextel 3 months then took it to boost and been pretty happy since. I dont like the rim software and would prefer a windows phone but unless boost goes cdm that wont happen. i do like the unlimited internet and calling and data for flat $50 best deal out there. Can even use the phone as a mobile modem for internet on my laptop anywhere.I am having issue getting bluetooth to work with my laptop thought.Not sure if its the phone or the sony laptop as no devices detected by my laptop but I have no other devices to try and find..Did I see earlier something about boost unlimited cdma services?? really?
    02-27-10 09:02 PM
    Yes that is correct fletch! If I am correct it is unlimited for $60
    02-27-10 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD